Why Not All the Weapons?

Ameriken05
383 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Seriously, why isn't there more of a randomized selection of ALL BFV weapons in Firestorm?  The mode has been out long enough and could have a lot more random variety/replay value if it actually utilized the growing weapon selection in the regular game.  I would think that would be a lot more fun than finding 6 VGOs in the same house.

Firestorm is really on the cusp of being a great BR if they would just tweak a few more things and fix a couple of bugs (i.e. the "angel wing" rendering issue that projects skins into the sky and allows you to be seen across the map).  One more map eventually (I'm thinking northern France) wouldn't hurt either, maybe some free-to-play trial periods...

CPT CALIGULA

Comments

• jroggs
    164 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The problem is that the loot placement isn't actually random. There's actually a cycle of seeds that have been custom-designed and tested, and the placement will always be the same for that seed. LevelCap did a video on this a few months ago. So for DICE to add weapons, they'd have to manually add them to each of the seeds as each location, and that's a lot of work they probably don't want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that adding more (hell, ALL) weapons would make the experience more fun and interesting. But Criterion's extremely flawed system has painted DICE into a corner.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:
    The problem is that the loot placement isn't actually random. There's actually a cycle of seeds that have been custom-designed and tested, and the placement will always be the same for that seed. LevelCap did a video on this a few months ago. So for DICE to add weapons, they'd have to manually add them to each of the seeds as each location, and that's a lot of work they probably don't want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that adding more (hell, ALL) weapons would make the experience more fun and interesting. But Criterion's extremely flawed system has painted DICE into a corner.
    I really want to see that genius who was in charge of creating pre-set loot seeds. Because in my limited time in Firestorm I've seen some weird loot behaviours where 3-4 pink guns would spawn in a single house while other times you can clear 1/2 of a map and not find a single pink weapon.
  • Ameriken05
    383 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah if you play Firestorm enough you definitely start picking up on the repeating seeds.  But even those seeds can have some pretty silly loot setups like multiple shotguns or VGOs (more than enough to arm an entire squads a couple times over) in the same location.  Just seems like yet another wasted opportunity to take a good mode to great if they took better advantage of the growing variety of weapons in the main game.  It would be a lot more exciting if a new weapon in ToW translated to it starting to show up in Firestorm.  They were able to make a slight adjustment for the VGO, Commando Carbine, and Boys AT so you'd think they'd be able to keep going with the other guns as well.  What are they utilizing weapons-wise in Firestorm right now, like 25% of the total BFV arsenal?  Silly.
  • jroggs
    164 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm pretty annoyed at how the game carries over your main game cosmetics over into Firestorm. Not because that's a bad thing in and of itself, but because it shows that they CAN carry over features and they don't let you do it with specs and sights. ESPECIALLY sights. There are a lot of guns where I prefer weaker variants because I hate the optic it uses, which runs the mindset of "more magnification = better," which is dumb. I don't need a 3x scope on my StG for the endgame, I need something quick and snappy.

Weapon variants should be based on YOUR weapon specs and optics. If you haven't leveled that particular weapon to the needed level, then it just uses the left side of the spec tree, and if you don't even have the weapon unlocked, then it's pure factory iron sights at each level as well. Then everyone gets a fair system without any real punishments or pay/ play-to-win aspect, but players who have taken the time to level and optimize their guns to their playstyle are rewarded... jeez, at least let me use my preferred sights on blues and purples.
  • Ameriken05
    jroggs said:
    I'm pretty annoyed at how the game carries over your main game cosmetics over into Firestorm. Not because that's a bad thing in and of itself, but because it shows that they CAN carry over features and they don't let you do it with specs and sights. ESPECIALLY sights. There are a lot of guns where I prefer weaker variants because I hate the optic it uses, which runs the mindset of "more magnification = better," which is dumb. I don't need a 3x scope on my StG for the endgame, I need something quick and snappy.

Weapon variants should be based on YOUR weapon specs and optics. If you haven't leveled that particular weapon to the needed level, then it just uses the left side of the spec tree, and if you don't even have the weapon unlocked, then it's pure factory iron sights at each level as well. Then everyone gets a fair system without any real punishments or pay/ play-to-win aspect, but players who have taken the time to level and optimize their guns to their playstyle are rewarded... jeez, at least let me use my preferred sights on blues and purples.
    Yes I am an absolute fan of this system and have advocated for it before.  The color/tier weapon should just reflect how many of YOUR specializations are unlocked for a particular weapon, and as you said if you don't have the weapon unlocked or limited specializations then there could either be a default setup or maybe you just don't get the benefit of that tier weapon (incentive to unlock guns).  As far as sights I agree too - you should get to decide what sight goes on the weapon, maybe you don't get an option for a green weapon but have more options the higher the tier.  This of course would allow you to keep it as iron-sights for a pink weapon if so desired.  Now how would the UI work for this?  Maybe a quick selection of available sights when you pick up the weapon, or the ability to change up the weapon in the menu...

CPT CALIGULA