My Opinion about Battlefield 5

xMilo_99
4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited August 15
The reasons why I would not recommend Battlefield 5 mostly have to do with the fact that the game itself is deeply broken, a lack of long lasting content and most importantly of all (at least in my opinion), a lack of any true WW2 immersion.

Battlefield 5 is a mishmash/conflict of both artistic design and cosmetic choices made by the developers.

It really seems like as if multiple graphic designers were having an argument as to which kind of color pallet they should use for the game and ended up barfing a vomit of vibrant colors across all of the maps. 'Twisted Steel' and 'Devastation' ever so slightly have that 'WW2 drab/depressing color scheme' and design.

Another issue that plagues this game is player freedom in terms of cosmetics.

Freedom in general is a great thing to have and puts a smile in everyone's face.

However, in today's world, especially when it comes to WW2 FPS games, that is probably the worst decision that Battlefield 5 can do with its current cosmetic outfits.

Most players are [profanity removed] by nature when it comes to online gaming and they will do everything in their power to purposely fit themselves with the most ridiculously mismatching outfits that are at their disposal.

The outfits in the game still look extremely exotic and are extremely out of out of place for some of the battles.

You have players running with winter clothes, wielding golden guns in the middle of a desert.

One interesting thing that I noticed ever since the game's latest patch is that the transport vehicles from both the Germans and British now actually have forced camos on them depending on the map. Vehicles such as the Kübelwagen, Hannomag, M3 halftrack etc.

They all have now fitting camos for the right environments and cannot be changed, which is quite frankly in my opinion a well thought out idea and should be done in the same way with the infantry.

Either include actual historically accurate uniforms for us to choose in game or, remove all cosmetic content from the game, including all of the elites as they absolutely do not make any sort of sense, and do a proper scan of actual WW2 uniforms that were used by the included armies in the game and the battles that they fought in.

Force these uniforms on the players just like the camos used in the aforementioned transport vehicles in the game. 

[ post edited to remove profanity and to make it more easily readable ~LGYT ]
Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on

Comments

• SlowOldWarrior
    379 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    "The Wall", Pink Floyd
  • CostanzaStan
    206 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    this was never marketed as a historically accurate game like BF1 was. you're free to not like this version of WW2 that they created, but they didn't spring this on us by surprise. we were told what we would be getting before we bought the game.
  • JUJAMAKILL
    308 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 15
    "The Wall", Pink Floyd
    Hey pal, don't lecture me. I don't need no, edumacation...

• lunajpsn
    37 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 15
    The cosmetics and their wide range do break immersion somewhat. I agree with OP that it looks ridiculous that solders in winter gear are running around in desert maps.
  • ElliotLH
    7832 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    lunajpsn said:
    The cosmetics and their wide range do break immersion somewhat. I agree with OP that it looks ridiculous that solders in winter gear are running around in desert maps.
    I've probably done that out of laziness as it's not a quick and easy process to change the camoflage pattern from map to map. I mean it's obviously not hard but who can be bothered clicking each individual clothing piece and going through the camo selector (assuming there is one for that piece) and then doing it all again next match?
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12664 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    post edited to remove profanity and to make it more easily readable.

@xMilo_99 please refrain from using profanity ( including milder profanity ) and for future reference,  do not attempt to circumvent the filter by mis-spelling or using alternative characters in an attempt to circumvent the filter.

I know you didnt circumvent the filter but it's more of a heads up that doing so also falls foul of the rules.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/137240/battlefield-forum-rules-and-guidelines
  • TFBisquit
    1360 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They can't make extra money if uniforms are forced.
    As for choosing one, I try to use 1 outfit that's a middleroad between the different maps.
    Colours lack atmosphere alright, I was playing metro Exodus and environment has so much more of it. It was immediately obvious.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1770 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    this was never marketed as a historically accurate game like BF1 was. you're free to not like this version of WW2 that they created, but they didn't spring this on us by surprise. we were told what we would be getting before we bought the game.
    You are right that DICE said BFV would be "WW2 you've never seen before", but I'm betting most people assumed that would mean the unknown battles rather than whacky cosmetics etc.  IF DICE didnt want to do a 'proper' WW2 game they could have so easily done a fictional post WW2 game along the lines of operation Unthinkable or other made up conflict.  Whether you personally agree or not, people have a vision of WW2 they know and 'love' and so deviating  from that was always going to end badly. How DICE/EA couldnt see that is beyond me. DICE had an open goal for BFV and hit the corner flag.  The questions is whether that was purely really bad design decisions by out of touch devs or if it was mainly due to the fact the game was/is clearly rushed and incomplete and so what we have is a mishmash of semi complete content which has thrown the original plan out of the window.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12664 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    If it was a 'documentary' for education purposes, then, sure, moan away.
    This is what I've been saying all along,   if people want a history lesson,  The history channel has all the authenticity and historical accuracy you will ever need and require.

Videogames are an artistic creation in all honesty,  same as movies that tell a story from a ( mostly ) fictional characters perspective.

Also also,  There are new upcoming games that have the historically accurate thing that many are expecting from bfv,  such as hell let loose.

• Turban_Legend80
    4469 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    disposalist said:

This is what I've been saying all along,   if people want a history lesson,  The history channel has all the authenticity and historical accuracy you will ever need and require.

Videogames are an artistic creation in all honesty,  same as movies that tell a story from a ( mostly ) fictional characters perspective.

Also also,  There are new upcoming games that have the historically accurate thing that many are expecting from bfv,  such as hell let loose.

What’s wrong with dropping in a few historical facts during loading screens? I wouldn’t be opposed to that type of “history lesson”.

Fact is, EA/DICE claimed they “listened to the community” and designed a game based on the era that got the most votes (WW2). Then then decided to put their own spin on it, and produced something that nobody voted for.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    If you want to make your own historically accurate game,  ain't nobody here stopping you :)

That's the thing about creating content,  you have a free licence to make a game about anything you please and you can be creative about it.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1770 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If you want to make your own historically accurate game,  ain't nobody here stopping you :)

That's the thing about creating content,  you have a free licence to make a game about anything you please and you can be creative about it.
    If you dont want to do an 'authentic' WW2 game, dont set it during WW2.  You could do a fictional war set in 1946 with all the same weapons/vehicles and then take artistic license. simple
  • LOLGotYerTags

If you dont want to do an 'authentic' WW2 game, dont set it during WW2.  You could do a fictional war set in 1946 with all the same weapons/vehicles and then take artistic license. simple
    You could make a game set during ww2 where the protagonist(s) were a one man ( or woman ) army ramboing through German forces invading a small village.

It's a creative change that would bring something new to games that are set during the 1940's or more specifically in the midst of world war 2 and it would still be relevant for the most part.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1041 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    disposalist said:

What’s wrong with dropping in a few historical facts during loading screens? I wouldn’t be opposed to that type of “history lesson”.

Fact is, EA/DICE claimed they “listened to the community” and designed a game based on the era that got the most votes (WW2). Then then decided to put their own spin on it, and produced something that nobody voted for.
    They did listen to the community. Toned down weather, toned down suppression, customization, no elites, no behemoths. They didn't take EVERYTHING from suggestions, but it's obvious that they did take a good amount.
  • ninjapenquinuk

You could make a game set during ww2 where the protagonist(s) were a one man ( or woman ) army ramboing through German forces invading a small village.

It's a creative change that would bring something new to games that are set during the 1940's or more specifically in the midst of world war 2 and it would still be relevant for the most part.
    You could totally do that IF it was a fictional village, but DICEs way of mixing fact and fiction is what is dumb.  They were going to showcase unknown battles but then add in the wrong factions for those battles, or basing a war story on an actual real event but then totally butchering it, when they could have just made up a fictional event instead.  Who signed off this nonsense. 
  • LOLGotYerTags
    edited August 15
    Who signed off this nonsense. 
    I could say the same regarding the bad robot film overlord,  which is set during ww2.. and the German forces are experimenting with a chemical that turns people into zombies.. yet some of the set pieces are based in real life locations.

What you're arguing is basically apples and pears,  they are both fruits,  both green, but both have very different tastes and textures.
  • PackersDK
    698 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Why does this happen everytime the topic emerges.

The OP dislikes the cosmetics and customization options in the game. It doesn’t feel like a WW2 game to him. You can agree or disagree. 

But why pretend like he wants the game to be a history lesson (apart from the fact that it helped you score a cheap point)? Did he say that’s what he want? I missed it.

Can you say winter uniforms in the desert is silly, on this forum, without a mod pretending like you asked for a completely historically accurate game? Is it really that either/or?

There are people who don’t really care about these things, and disagree with the OP. That is fine. How boring it would be if everybody agreed on everything all the time. 

But I can’t help noticing that their arguments usually consists of assuming what the other side said/wants, (a milsim, a history lesson) and then, often in a rather eye-rolling way, shoot it down. Well, how convenient.

• ninjapenquinuk
    edited August 15
    Who signed off this nonsense. 
    I could say the same regarding the bad robot film overlord,  which is set during ww2.. and the German forces are experimenting with a chemical that turns people into zombies.. yet some of the set pieces are based in real life locations.

What you're arguing is basically apples and pears,  they are both fruits,  both green, but both have very different tastes and textures.
    But we agree it's still nonsense yea? Comparing BFV to a B movie on the sci fi channel is not a good thing!

Look i get what you are trying to say.  No one expected a 100% accurate WW2 game.  We all know weapons would be shared and out of whack with the timing of battles etc.  I personally care not one jot about females or varying ethnicities being in game, but i still hoped/expected for a WW2 feeling game and this just doesnt.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    I guess it could be "silly"..  

But then again,  launching vehicles with dynamite is also silly but it's there.

Rifle scopes dont have a miniature sun either but that's there too..

Fact of the matter is battlefield has never been "historically accurate",  Authentic period specific weapons and vehicles sure,  but it's not trying to be historically accurate,  nor was it advertised as a historically accurate ww2 shooter.