Has COD just listened to all the complaints about gameplay on battlefield 5 and made a game?

spateri1
231 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I know its not released yet but they rarely have the bugs of BF games on launch. Looing like they're going to take an even bigger slice of the dwindling bf fans. Obviously being modern is a big upvote but so many other things they seem to have bf in their crosshairs.

- maps, they release more and now they're free. Where is Al sundan? Where are the rest? Have to wait and see how cod release them after launch but pissweak so far.
- Dedicated servers on launch.
- Proper weapon customisation.
- Ability to change new add ons during the game.
- Hopefully team balance is good, why cant we change teams in the abscence of BF5's horrible team balance system?
- Player count. Check. They also have a variety of gamemodes. Where did gunmaster go? Conquest small? Where is hardcore mode? Why change them all the time? Leave frontlines on ffs.

Obviously we have to wait to play and I'm never pre ordering again but hey, it looks good thus far. Why couldn't Dice do this in what has almost been a year? Well would have been but they delayed it to fix issues. I don't care about graphics and the netcode as such, we all the same issues so it is reasonably balanced in that respect. Just saying.

Comments

• ninjapenquinuk
    1810 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ive not been impressed by COD for a long time. From a the perspective of someone who hasn't played all the more recent CODs as i find the single player to be too much on rails (frankly something i would expect 10years ago not today)  i find its basically been the same game for a decade but with a different skin.  That being said the new one does look good, and if i buy it, it will be for the single player rather than the multi player.

• VincentNZ
    2697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Modern Warfare was in development way before Battlefield was released. So no, they might have taken some feedback and incorporated it into the game, but they sure did not listen to the BF community and developed a game for them.
    - MW has a couple of interesting features and their marketing is picking up on it, 100 players in certain modes? Sure, it is planned, but it will hit the same problems as every other game that increases player numbers and we have not seen anything substantial yet. People complain about high-pingers and people with bad connections breaking their game in BF, how is that going to change in CoD? You also need the room for 100 players otherwise you will end up with 64p Metro/Argonne/Vaux style gameplay, which is, while popular, bad design. 100 players need maps that are 30% larger on average than BFV maps, and/or that guide the flow in a way so that it does not get crowded. CoD has never had something similar, and you know how well DICE fared with the meaningfully fill the maps it released.
    Map design is the single most time consuming thing to do in a FPS and is directly tied to every other mechanic and feature. You can have the most awesome game mechanics, if your map design is not up to it, the game will frustrate.
    - Yeah it has the armory, and deep customization, that is not entirely new to the series either. You had gun-benches before and this is just an alteration of the older "pick 10" system. The customization for weapons is extremely lacking in BFV, but it does the job, and is also held back by the time period.
    - They have a variety of gamemodes? Yeah, as far as I read it is duels, 6vs6, 10vs10, 20vs20 and that 100 player mode. Nothing else is said. BFV released with: BT, Frontlines, GO, TDM, Domination and permanently added SQC, Coop, Firestorm and has an SP. What good did that do the game?
    BFV was and is a feature bloat and that is the main cause of all the issues the game still has, when it could have focused on the core gameplay with small additions. CoD, by the way, has the same marketing claims as BF had last year. It will be the biggest and best in the franchise, yadayadayada. Take a good look at it now.
  • OskooI_007
    711 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 15
    spateri1 wrote:
    Has COD just listened to all the complaints about gameplay on battlefield 5 and made a game?
    Seems like it. One of my main complaints about BFV is the laser beam gunplay. Infinity Ward said Modern Warfare's guns feel punchy and the AK-47 kicks like a mule.

Movement in BFV feels fast and weightless. Infinity Ward said Modern Warfare's movement and guns will have a weighty feel to them.

Those two things alone have me excited about Modern Warfare's gameplay, and of course the large scale 50v50 maps with vehicles and aircraft.

If the netcode feels good and I'm not insta-killed in a single frame like BFV, I might sink a lot of hours into the new CoD.
    Post edited by OskooI_007 on
  • disposalist
    8504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 15
    CoD is not great. Even if they have some good features this time around, the fundamentals are usually bad.  BF5 has bad features *and* bad fundamentals, but that doesn't make CoD good.

If BF5 devs wanted inspiration for how to do it right they just had to freaking look at BF1!  Cant count how many good features in BF1 they just threw away...
  • Shadders_X
    479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited August 15
    Hi,
    I think it is probably due to the reduced sales of BFV that they (CoD) introduced a few new game modes to offer an alternative. EA/DICE were promoting that they were going to take CoD's crown, but now the reverse is about to happen ?

I purchased CoD Ghosts for the PS4 solely because i wanted something else to play - but the online experience is the arena style, twitch shooter. 

Maybe CoD just want to get the casual players interested in BFV/BF1/BF4 to return to CoD without the needs to purchase BF since it offers large maps, some vehicles, and maybe destruction. I think destruction is overrated - as for vehicle based maps, once all the buildings have gone, you are snookered. 

CoD does seem to be a re-skin of CoD previous titles - but if it works, then why reinvent the wheel ???, and they do not seem to have the EA/DICE senior management approach of taking the weapons and aiming at their own foot, in terms of great ideas (which just seem to mess up what could have been a great game). 

So, perhaps EA/DICE need to ask themselves, why does CoD repeatedly sell extremely well, releasing a game every year, which seems to always work, with bugs fixed soon ??., and BF has new ideas, releases every 2 years, and is in decline ? Is it the constant bugs every release that take too long to resolve ? Has EA/DICE got a reputation ?

What if DICE/EA did a re-skin of BF4 or BF1, removed some of the annoying existing bugs, and released that as a new game ? Could have all the popular maps from the previous versions ? 

Sales figures for CoD are high - but similar to BF, except for BFV :

BF4 has 13.8million
    CoD Ghosts has 28.8millions

BF1 has 25million
    CoD Infinite Warfare has 13.6million

BFV has 7.3million 
    CoD Black Ops 4 has 14.3million

Web sites used :
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/321374/global-all-time-unit-sales-call-of-duty-games/
    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Battlefield

It is dire for DICE/EA as the drop in sales are from 25million BF1, to 8.3million BFV - a difference of 17.7million. This must have been a shock for EA/DICE. 

Regards,
    Shadders_X. 
    Post edited by Shadders_X on
  • Broliszibaila
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Smart people always should try do this. Even angry joe offered to make decent conquest mode and maps for COD, if they want to put last nails into this series.
  • Zviko0
    1621 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know what people even see in COD. To me it has looked and felt the same since MW2. And I don't know what you see but to me it feels the opposite. That they are actually trying to be BF wannabes now. And if they succeed it's all DICE's/EA's fault. Just like those numbers above. I'm pretty sure BF1 had more pre-orders than BFV has had sales. And it's all because of the trailer and the direction they took with the WW2. They wanted to be different, introduce the never seen or heard before stories and battles and of course all that political agenda....

That's what has lost them the most of the sales. Game being good is just a bonus so people stay and maybe they gain couple more sales. Marketing matters more and BF1 was and is a proof of all that.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Still have to see the 50vs50 in action before released.  Heck that one DrDisRespect youtube video when he got to play the 20vs20 it crashed.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    521 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I wouldn't count on team balancing being much better, it must be close to impossible to balance 50 v 50.
  • StarscreamUK
    7272 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    The problem with using sales stats is it doesn't take into account origin purchases or origin access /ea access
  • Noodlesocks
    2771 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Honestly don't think the devs on the new CoD even gave a thought about Battlefield. From what I've read and heard of the design process that they've applied to their new game, it sounds like they have been wholly focused on simply make their game as good as it can be. Having pretty much stripped the 'CoD formula' down to its bare bones and only adding to it what made sense, cutting out all the bloat and fluff that had accumulated over the years. Whether or not this translates into a good game is yet to be seen but I don't get the impression that Battlefield has been a driving factor in MW's development at all.
  • trip1ex
    4694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    it's all marketing.  wake me up when the game is out. 
  • spateri1
    231 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    StingX71 wrote: »
    disposalist said:
    CoD is not great. Even if they have some good features this time around, the fundamentals are usually bad.  BF5 has bad features *and* bad fundamentals, but that doesn't make CoD good.

If BF5 devs wanted inspiration for how to do it right they just had to freaking look at BF1!  Cant count how many good features in BF1 they just threw away...

Common overall theme with BF. Things we lost since 42:  Subs, movable ships (Destroyers, Aircraft Carriers), BF2 Commander with destructible assets,  BF4 weapons customization,  game modes that worked (BC2 Rush, 2142 Titan Mode), rentable/custom/HC servers, and being able to parachute off just about everything. I know it wasn't realistic, but it was a BF thing.  I know I'm forgetting a bunch. 

Couldn't have said it better. Why try and reinvent the wheel? I really didnt like bf1, far too casual and bullet spongey but thats just my taste. Clearly it sells more, if they had of had more customisation and BF4 HC mode I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
  • Titan_Awaken
    664 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hi,
    I think it is probably due to the reduced sales of BFV that they (CoD) introduced a few new game modes to offer an alternative. EA/DICE were promoting that they were going to take CoD's crown, but now the reverse is about to happen ?

I purchased CoD Ghosts for the PS4 solely because i wanted something else to play - but the online experience is the arena style, twitch shooter. 

Maybe CoD just want to get the casual players interested in BFV/BF1/BF4 to return to CoD without the needs to purchase BF since it offers large maps, some vehicles, and maybe destruction. I think destruction is overrated - as for vehicle based maps, once all the buildings have gone, you are snookered. 

CoD does seem to be a re-skin of CoD previous titles - but if it works, then why reinvent the wheel ???, and they do not seem to have the EA/DICE senior management approach of taking the weapons and aiming at their own foot, in terms of great ideas (which just seem to mess up what could have been a great game). 

So, perhaps EA/DICE need to ask themselves, why does CoD repeatedly sell extremely well, releasing a game every year, which seems to always work, with bugs fixed soon ??., and BF has new ideas, releases every 2 years, and is in decline ? Is it the constant bugs every release that take too long to resolve ? Has EA/DICE got a reputation ?

What if DICE/EA did a re-skin of BF4 or BF1, removed some of the annoying existing bugs, and released that as a new game ? Could have all the popular maps from the previous versions ? 

Sales figures for CoD are high - but similar to BF, except for BFV :

BF4 has 13.8million
    CoD Ghosts has 28.8millions

BF1 has 25million
    CoD Infinite Warfare has 13.6million

BFV has 7.3million 
    CoD Black Ops 4 has 14.3million

Web sites used :
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/321374/global-all-time-unit-sales-call-of-duty-games/
    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Battlefield

It is dire for DICE/EA as the drop in sales are from 25million BF1, to 8.3million BFV - a difference of 17.7million. This must have been a shock for EA/DICE. 

Regards,
    Shadders_X. 
    2016 for BF was an anomaly. Regardless of preference, Traditionally, CoD has always outsold Battlefield. That's a fact, it's not up for debate.

2016 was a horrible year for CoD and an exceptional year for Battlefield. The reception to Infinite Warfare was so abysmal that to this day, the CoD:IW trailer remains one of the most highly disliked videos on the entire YouTube platform to date. Meanwhile BF1 and its reveal trailer was almost universally loved by everyone.

It was clear that fan sentiment for Battlefield was at an all time high and that translated to BF outselling CoD in 2016 and breaking that historic trend.

Let's face it, even if BFV was great it still wouldn't have sold more than or even close to BF1 in copies. Hence why EA's expectations were set at 8.3 million copies. 
  • CostanzaStan
    215 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    i'm gonna give it a go. will be my first CoD since MW3.
  • mf_shro0m
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 16
    No they just decided to learn from BF and made BF’s best features their own.

Plus I mean Dice was listening to the community’s complaints about BFI when they were making BFV and look what happened

Community : snipers are OP af, nerf them RRREEEEEEE!!!
    Dice : makes recon a joke
    <Doesn’t reduce the number of campers>

Community : tanks are too strong
    Dice : makes tanks so vulnerable at short range that most tankers are too scared to ptfo

Community : BFI’s too arcadey, we want more realism
    Dice : introduces attrition
    Community : I can’t mag dump anymore, wtf Dice!!
    Dice : makes all the maps favour campers
    Community : Dice campers are ruining the game, please change the map design meta
    Dice : camping’s a real life tactic. Just look at the milsimmers
    Community : then at least stop issuing assignments that encourage camping
    Dice : ummm... no sorry that’s like not liberal or something and tbh some of us like camping with the MMGs 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • The_BERG_366
    2306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    spateri1 wrote:
    Seems like it. One of my main complaints about BFV is the laser beam gunplay. Infinity Ward said Modern Warfare's guns feel punchy and the AK-47 kicks like a mule.

Movement in BFV feels fast and weightless. Infinity Ward said Modern Warfare's movement and guns will have a weighty feel to them.

Those two things alone have me excited about Modern Warfare's gameplay, and of course the large scale 50v50 maps with vehicles and aircraft.

If the netcode feels good and I'm not insta-killed in a single frame like BFV, I might sink a lot of hours into the new CoD.

so you plan to play a game like modern warfare that features two shot kill guns with a 600 rpm and expect to not get one framed? even if you just watch some cod mw 20v20 gameplay now there's are constant one frame deaths... or at least what bf players seem to call one frame deaths
  • VincentNZ
    2697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    spateri1 wrote:

I am not buying that, BFV had deeper gun mechanics for years, and even now it is more intricate. CoD was always hitscan and visual recoil. Now they implement things like bullets actually being physical objects with velocity etc., but at the ranges of CoD that does not matter either.
    When they say certain weapons "kick" I do not buy that either, I just bet that there is a ton of visual recoil, if at all. You have to think of consoleros as well, after all. Recoil does not work on controllers. Besides recoil is not everything.
    I really doubt that the gunplay will be more satisfying than in BFV, let alone deeper or more intricate. At the ranges they are aiming at, DPS is all, closely followed by ROF.
  • Shadders_X
    479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    VincentNZ said:

You have to think of consoleros as well, after all. Recoil does not work on controllers. Besides recoil is not everything..
    Hi,
    I play BF4 on PS4, and use M60. There is recoil and pulling off target. You can easily let the gun do its thing and empty the magazine and not hit the target. You do have to use the thumbsticks to control the pulling off target if you can. 
    Regards,
    Shadders_X.