This Week in Battlefield V

Is teaming in Firestorm 'cheating' or against the rules?

JerkFrags
7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I know it comes as a surprise to everyone that I've come across several people who are teaming in Firestom Solo, but I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not this is against the rules. I haven' reported anyone for it, because it's my understanding that it isn't against the rules, even though it is not the most honorable way to play the Solo mode.

Can we get someone to weigh in on whether or not it is against the rules to team up with someone in Firestorm Solo? I would really like to know if it's against the rules, or just a frustrating aspect of the game that we have to deal with.

Comments

• jroggs
    420 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Teaming is cheating and grounds for a permanent ban in every other BR.

The most direct statement I've seen on the subject from DICE is Adam Freeman (PartWelsh) making a joke about threatening to report JackFrags for teaming during a Firestorm Squads match where JF got "adopted" by another squad when everyone else in his squad (including PW) got killed. So they're at least aware of the concept, and I assume they hold the same view as every other developer.
  • OskooI_007
    767 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Teaming in solo mode is against the rules in any Battle Royale game. Good luck proving someone is doing it though. Most companies are reluctant to issue bans based on YouTube videos.

Plus they'd have to pay someone to watch YouTube videos all day, and what company is going to spend money doing that?
  • PackersDK
    757 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well, we will see if the thread gets insta-locked or not. That, I suppose, will answer the question.
  • Matty101yttam
    961 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ppl still play firestorm?
  • jroggs
    420 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Teaming in solo mode is against the rules in any Battle Royale game. Good luck proving someone is doing it though. Most companies are reluctant to issue bans based on YouTube videos.

Plus they'd have to pay someone to watch YouTube videos all day, and what company is going to spend money doing that?
    The problem with that is that it's pretty much impossible to prove without a video. A screen shot can't really tell the story. There's also no scoreboard or server info for Firestorm (at least on PS4). And reporting someone without any proof is as bad or worse than cheating. For better or worse, if DICE really does want to crack down on teaming but fairly, then they have to watch the videos.

So ultimately cheating by teaming is currently really easy, while reporting teaming and addressing reports are a lot of work for both the player and DICE staff.
  • TFBisquit
    1624 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It’s all too difficult, that’s why people team up.
    The difficulty level is also a cause of many other players behavior.
  • JerkFrags
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The reason why I ask, is because I do have several videos that clearly show what I feel is teaming. I don't think that I can post them on here, because of the name-shaming rule and I don't want to break those rules. If a moderator gives me the go-ahead, I'll post it to see what other people think...

I believe everyone saying that every other BR it is against the rules, but is it a bannable offense on BFV?
  • jroggs
    JerkFrags said:
    The reason why I ask, is because I do have several videos that clearly show what I feel is teaming. I don't think that I can post them on here, because of the name-shaming rule and I don't want to break those rules. If a moderator gives me the go-ahead, I'll post it to see what other people think...

I believe everyone saying that every other BR it is against the rules, but is it a bannable offense on BFV?
    Don't post the videos here, I learned firsthand that they are indeed treated as against the forum rules.

Do include them in a report, but only report the ones that you KNOW are teaming (or otherwise cheating).
  • ElliotLH
    8372 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The EA ToS contains a line saying "you agree that you will not...Engage in any other activity that significantly disturbs the peaceful, fair and respectful gaming environment of an EA Service". I suppose it depends on your definition of fair but in my mind teaming wouldn't be.
  • jroggs
    ElliotLH said:
    The EA ToS contains a line saying "you agree that you will not...Engage in any other activity that significantly disturbs the peaceful, fair and respectful gaming environment of an EA Service". I suppose it depends on your definition of fair but in my mind teaming wouldn't be.
    Also this one:
    • (You agree that you will not) use exploits, cheats, undocumented features, design errors or problems in an EA Service.
  • ElliotLH
    8372 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:
    ElliotLH said:
    Also this one:
    • (You agree that you will not) use exploits, cheats, undocumented features, design errors or problems in an EA Service.
    Ah yes, that one too. It's a pity the reporting process isn't easier for Firestorm but I guess it's better than nothing.
  • ragnarok013
    3207 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    PackersDK said:
    Well, we will see if the thread gets insta-locked or not. That, I suppose, will answer the question.
    PackersDK whether or not this thread gets locked is immaterial to whether it is indeed classified as cheating as one is a forum moderation issue and the other a ToS enforcement issue. If you find people teaming in solos report them with video evidence linked in the report via Origin and allow the ToS team to evaluate and action.
  • tempo_rarity
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ^ Sorry , the last eight words in your post caused a reflexive vote-like reaction .
    I luv it  o:)  
  • 1Pynk
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So reporting via screenshot is useless? How many people do you think record their sessions except streamers... Cant games be tracked and checked by mods like in PUBG? 
  • jroggs
    1Pynk said:
    So reporting via screenshot is useless? How many people do you think record their sessions except streamers... Cant games be tracked and checked by mods like in PUBG? 
    On PS4, I save video by hitting a button that records the previous 10 minutes of gameplay (or however long I want), so getting the proof is generally pretty easy for Sony players, and I'm sure PC and maybe Xbox have ways of doing the same. Of course, it's still a pain to then review, edit, and upload that video along with writing up the report form.

Near as I can tell, there is no visible match or server information available to players in Firestorm, so there's no way to pass that info on.

The only screenshot that's maybe useful would be to show the kill tracker when one player from a platoon finishes the game by killing his buddy from the same platoon. That's really not great proof, though, you really need a video to fully demonstrate that these two chumps really were working together (or aimbotting or whatever the case might be).
  • Tosasan_HUN
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    first if 2 or 3 player play together they can share items, eachother /armor gadget ammo heal/ instantly or faster can blow up armored vehicle
    second if 1 of they teammember die he jump to the killer and can tell the others where he is and what he doing heal back take back armor where he's killer move or camp.
    i think its cheating
    solution bring back duo. and improve firestorm to got more player.
  • tempo_rarity
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Almost certainly communicating , it's a guarantee that if you kill one member of a duo the other will rat you out as a Spectator .
    After dusting his buddy , I'm pretty sure that's how a semi-finalist 'player' knew exactly where I was even though I was well-hidden .
    . . .
    Nowadays , if I see a duo in Solo I go straight into hunting mode and make the Win secondary .
    They are easy to disturb and annoy (single shot harassment is a favored tactic) , which takes them off their game .
    Two 'players' together are easier to spot than one too , so craftily engaging them also increases the odds of their notice by others .
    I don't even have to kill both of them - smoking just one of them restores the fairness that I found to be out of whack in discovering them .
    . . .
    This IS a totally different way to Play Firestorm I'll admit , but I'm not the one forcing the change - these twerps are .
    I'm just adapting . . . and actually , I'm kinda enjoying this new version-slash-mode , whenever it occurs .
    Which IS , unfortunately , a little bit too frequently lately .
  • jroggs
    So here's a fun story. I ran into some teamers on Sunday August 25. Indisputable proof, saved the video, sent a report to EA with the video link. Later than day, I got the reply back telling me EA appreciates my report, they have the names of the cheaters, and they're forwarding the info to take action but they won't be able to tell me how it's resolved. Standard stuff. Next day, my report ticket got closed. Cool, whatever, I did what I could.

Today, August 30, I ran into teamers again. The same teamers as Sunday. The same PSNs, the same platoon. The same players EA told me they had dealt with.

Here's the response I received Sunday, with the names redacted per forum rules.

"Thank you for contacting EA help.

My name is [EA Help employee] and I would assist you with your issue today.
    I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience while playing Battlefield V as you have reported 02 players for cheating by teaming in Firestorm Solos. We at EA want the players time to be fun and enjoyable. Unfortunately, there are always few troublemakers who use cheat programs to get unfair advantage in the game.

I have saved the information you have provided and available for the Studio to investigate and take an action. Please be assured your concern is our top priority, we will investigate this report and take necessary action in accordance with our Terms of Services. Due to our Privacy Policy, we will be unable to disclose the results of this investigation.

If you see such behavior again in the game, please report the cheater through below link: [link removed by poster]

To summarize the contact, you reported 02 players ([Cheater1] and [Cheater2]) player for cheating and we have forwarded your request to the concerned authorities, so that they can take adequate actions against the cheater.

You can also find answers to common questions on our EA Help at 

[link removed], or ask our community experts by visiting Answer HQ at [link removed].

Once again thank you for contacting EA Help. Take Care!!"

To reiterate the timeline:
    Aug 25 - Encounter teamers in Firestorm Solos match. Report them with video evidence, receive above reply.
    Aug 26 - Report ticket is closed.
    Aug 30 - Encounter the same teamers in another match.

So I don't get it. If they took the time to review my report, the proof was incontrovertible and action should have been taken. If they hadn't had time to address the report yet, then why did they close the ticket?

Strangely, of the three teamer reports I've made (not including today's repeat), they've been "Closed," "Resolved," and "Closed" respectively. If you think the "Resolved" ticket closure means EA actually did something that time, think again. I saved those cheaters' BF tracker playtimes on Sunday for future comparison. Checked their playtime today, and yep, they're still playing, too.

This is kind of a letdown, to say the least.
  • OskooI_007
    767 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 30
    EA's not going to ban console players. They barely ban PC players using aimbots. I doubt EA is willing to pay employees to watch YouTube videos all day.
  • mikegeary789
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You’re all missing one very easy solution to this issue. Have an algorithm set up so that when two players are around each other for longer than 2 minutes and running in the same direction and engaging the same targets, automatic ban. It’s very simple.