Competitive mode officialy scraped along with tons of weapons.

YourLocalPlumber
2802 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Well done Dice. You managed to impress and infuriate at the same time. I'm glad that this terrible idea has been scarped, but I'm also angry AF because its too little too late.
   An entire year and huge amounts of resources were spent developing this mode.  Maps, unique weapons, unique classes and other things are now gone. Can you even imagine what good those devs could've done have they been assigned to fixing/developing the main game? Its another example or atrocious management within EA_Dice. They simply have no idea what to do with their own game. Lets make wacky WW2, no lets make WW2 BR, no lets make competitive WW2 game, no lets use multiplayer maps and develop coop that nobody will play. 

People around here like to blame devs for not fixing the game. But now I think its very clear that devs have nothing to do with it. They're simply understaffed. Instead of having a large team working on a base game, they have a swarm of small teams working on something that is totally irrelevant for the game. And it looks like Dice's managers finally caught up with this mistake. I really hope that they will stop splitting people into small squads to do something that makes no sense and instead put everyone into developing actual content like maps, vehicles and weapons.

Comments

• ElliotLH
    8181 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    While I was also glad that 5v5 was scrapped I'm still really hoping that some of the weapons and gadgets are made available. No sense in wasting everything.
  • Hawxxeye
    5355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 22
    Now please tell me how many people here have actually been exited for 5v5?
    Because I'd rather have them focused on fixing the game itself anfd adding more proper content insetad of another dumb mode nobody will play after a couple of  weeks. Just like Firestorm.
    Personally I have two general rules:
    I enjoy something IF:  a) It has combined arms combat and/or b) It is a two team mode and not some wacky thing that is either free for all or several squad against each other.
  • MarxistDictator
    4875 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Now please tell me how many people here have actually been exited for 5v5?
    Because I'd rather have them focused on fixing the game itself anfd adding more proper content insetad of another dumb mode nobody will play after a couple of  weeks. Just like Firestorm.

I wasn't excited for any of it but if it was announced and occupied massive chunks of dev time they should at least seperate the gadgets and weapons from it.

This is just its own micro model of BF V in a nutshell; a whole lot of effort spent on something no one asked for, with nothing to show for it...
  • ASaltyAlpaca
    48 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Combined arms I would say was an attempt to try something new but tell me, when was the last time you played combined arms? When it first came out. It was an idea that seemed good on paper but was executed poorly.

Just wish this decision to scrap 5v5 was sooner rather than later.
  • TectonicGuns
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    5v5 and Firestorm should be free to play and separate from the A-list BF titles.
  • ElliotLH
    8181 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Combined arms I would say was an attempt to try something new but tell me, when was the last time you played combined arms? When it first came out. It was an idea that seemed good on paper but was executed poorly.

Just wish this decision to scrap 5v5 was sooner rather than later.

Only when I want to knock out an assignment easily (so long as it's not a PVP or objective tasks obvs).
  • IDazzlerazzle
    417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It only took them 9 months post launch to scrap that garbage
  • Noodlesocks
    2771 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    5v5 and Firestorm should be free to play and separate from the A-list BF titles.
    At this point it would do the game good if the whole thing went F2P with cosmetics and unlocks behind a paywall for free users.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1276 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    So even 5v5 was beyond their abilities?
  • FragbaitDax
    221 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Firestorm tells you all you needed to know about the strategic decision makers at EA/Dice and why we are where we are today. It's really very simple, if you want to take a slice of the giant market that Fortnite has carved out for itself, you need to be competitive. That means you need a product that is familiar enough to draw players over, different enough to distinguish itself from the competition, and provide an excellent value proposition. It had to be free to play.

Quite clearly EA/Dice wanted the fat dollars but did not have faith in their product to make it free. They hedged their bets and wanted money both ways but consequently did not deliver on key aspects that could have given them success. It's a key strategic failure and that is the underlying problem with BFV right from day one. Poor strategy, poorly executed and here we are. The company needs to replace some of their key leaders because they are not up to the task and are costing the company success.
  • HUMANFRAIL7Y
    718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    So will the two new maps be made available for the larger modes as well, since 5v5 is now scrapped? Or is this just wishful thinking?
  • DrunkwoIf
    297 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Translation. We have put the fork in BF5, competitive will be in the next BF as we need some kind of hype to get people to pre order for 80$. trust us the next BF will be epic!
  • DasScharminkel
    61 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So will the two new maps be made available for the larger modes as well, since 5v5 is now scrapped? Or is this just wishful thinking?
    though i havent had an all to detailed look on themaps based on youtube vids, i wouldnt get my hopes up. being optimized for 10 players i dont see a way to squeeze 64 into them without feeling cramped. maybe frontlines?
    marita becomes a meatgrinder in conquest at times and the map was made with this mode in mind
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    790 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Honestly I'm a little disappointed. 

I'd rather them focus on the main game modes, but if Dice LA have spent all this time creating a 5v5 it's surely better than nothing while we wait for Battlefield MP content.

Is it not more likely that they built it, tested it, pulled another Al SoonDun and then thought oh sod it.
  • Elephante33
    179 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    thank FUDGE! No one wanted competative 5v5, thats what CoD and CS is for, and not at all what most people buying BF buy it for.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    787 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    thank FUDGE! No one wanted competative 5v5, thats what CoD and CS is for, and not at all what most people buying BF buy it for.

Or a single player campaign, or coop, or battle royale, or micro transactions.

Its almost as if they dont give a single fork what we want.
  • SirTerrible
    1690 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I like smaller infantry modes and can get pretty competitive sometimes yet I still didn't really have much interest in the 5v5 stuff. I guess it was more for people that weren't already playing Battlefield considering how few Battlefield fans seemed to care about it.
  • OskooI_007
    711 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 23
    DrunkwoIf wrote: »
    Translation. We have put the fork in BF5, competitive will be in the next BF as we need some kind of hype to get people to pre order for 80$. trust us the next BF will be epic!

Yeah it looks like DICE sees player numbers continuing to drop and is pulling the plug on BFV. I imagine the Pacific Theater will be the last major content drop.