What drives the devs of PC games into making them so hardware intensive?

Hawxxeye
5366 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
For several years I had been thinking about this.
Why are the video games for PC (at least the mainstream ones) making such leap in the performance requirements every on every new title in franchises.
Having to design more detailed graphics and program more visual effects has to be a significant expense and development time.
Why do they feel so dead set to take advantage of the latest and highest end hardware that almost nobody buys?
Are the CPU, GPU etc manufacturing companies paying them off to do those leaps in hardware so they can sell more of their insanely priced high end graphics cards etc?

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    12858 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I don't believe that's the case.

It's just a product of development..  

People want ever more realistic visuals with more and more and more gameplay features with each new game..  Devs answer this by increasing the complexity of the engine they are using,  It's just that a notable side-effect is that the engine requires more processing power,  More memory usage,  And an increase in GPU memory usage.

It's not just that either,  If developers stopped taking game engines to the next level,  We'd have very little to wow us in the future.
  • mf_shro0m
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's not just that either,  If developers stopped taking game engines to the next level,  We'd have very little to wow us in the future.

I think this is the main thing. One of the reasons for why CoD was losing ground to BF before BFV was that the new releases were mostly just reskins. Infinite Warfare mixed things up a bit but every other game was just too much like the last. Whilst the classic CoD formula still attracted a lot of players, I know that people like me have been wanting CoD to release a new engine so they could take their games to the next level since MW3. I mean by the time MW3 came out there’d already been MW, MW2 and WaW and maybe BO and they were just reskins. I’ll give WaW a hallpass because of how different the gameplay was but by the time I was ready to move on from MW3 I was just a bit tired of the same old things. Big franchises don’t like to introduce big changes to gameplay and so aside from adding small things like crouched running they can’t add much other than better graphics
  • Hawxxeye
    5366 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 29
    y_j_es_i said:

I think this is the main thing. One of the reasons for why CoD was losing ground to BF before BFV was that the new releases were mostly just reskins. Infinite Warfare mixed things up a bit but every other game was just too much like the last. Whilst the classic CoD formula still attracted a lot of players, I know that people like me have been wanting CoD to release a new engine so they could take their games to the next level since MW3. I mean by the time MW3 came out there’d already been MW, MW2 and WaW and maybe BO and they were just reskins. I’ll give WaW a hallpass because of how different the gameplay was but by the time I was ready to move on from MW3 I was just a bit tired of the same old things. Big franchises don’t like to introduce big changes to gameplay and so aside from adding small things like crouched running they can’t add much other than better graphics
    In that I want to say that big gameplay changes can easily do more harm than good in a beloved franchise.
    A good example of that would be how Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology were much more well recieved than Age of Empires 3 with its controvercial Home-city mechanic that made being able to compete in multiplayer into much more of a grind.
    Puting special abilities on every unit in Red Alert 3 made the gameplay much more cumbersome due to the micromanageemnt involved.
  • MlDHEAVEN
    459 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Just Install BF6 on your XBOX 360.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2808 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Devs are not set on taking advantages of the latest hardware. You don't need a 2080ti and R9 3900x overclocked to 5Ghz to run BF5. A mid range rig with Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 1070 will easily pull off 90-100+ at max settings 1080. 

We're looking at 800USD worth of PC to run most demanding game on the market at max settings on high refresh rate monitor. Its not as bad as you make it to be.