This Week in Battlefield V

What is that evasive move some fighters do

Hawxxeye
5576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
I see some of the better fighters I have encountered to do a weird erratic dance to make it harder to get a good angle on them for shooting.
They seem to somehow slow down in midair but at the same time they do not really lose much speed then by the time I adjust to their new orientation they are one step ahead and have already regained their speed and are doign the same  thing  on a different angle.
It does not seem like some barrel roll etc but more like the equivalent of ADADAD spam for planes, has anyone else seen it?

Comments

• barnesalmighty2
    1520 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I had the best dogfight ever yesterday, he was a very good pilot. What I think you might have encountered was a plane with the engine and acceleration upgrades. Those upgrades off movement similar to what you are saying. I often use the repair function to control speed too as it slows speed faster than manually slowing down and allows me to instantly speed up when I want to.

Without a video it's all just guesswork as few people fly the same way in dogfights though.
  • Hawxxeye
    5576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I had the best dogfight ever yesterday, he was a very good pilot. What I think you might have encountered was a plane with the engine and acceleration upgrades. Those upgrades off movement similar to what you are saying. I often use the repair function to control speed too as it slows speed faster than manually slowing down and allows me to instantly speed up when I want to.

Without a video it's all just guesswork as few people fly the same way in dogfights though.
    I will keep in mind to save a recording the next time I see this. I was so agitated that that guy would not accept his karma after going after my bomber several times earlier that I forgot to save that for posterity. I was chasing him down with the JU-88C using the  4 20mm cannons
  • LINKERBLOX
    90 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I see some of the better fighters I have encountered to do a weird erratic dance to make it harder to get a good angle on them for shooting.They seem to somehow slow down in midair but at the same time they do not really lose much speed then by the time I adjust to their new orientation they are one step ahead and have already regained their speed and are doign the same  thing  on a different angle.It does not seem like some barrel roll etc but more like the equivalent of ADADAD spam for planes, has anyone else seen it?

Were those barrel rolls?
  • Hawxxeye
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I see some of the better fighters I have encountered to do a weird erratic dance to make it harder to get a good angle on them for shooting.They seem to somehow slow down in midair but at the same time they do not really lose much speed then by the time I adjust to their new orientation they are one step ahead and have already regained their speed and are doign the same  thing  on a different angle.It does not seem like some barrel roll etc but more like the equivalent of ADADAD spam for planes, has anyone else seen it?

Were those barrel rolls?
    No it looked more like the stuff that stunt planes do IRL where they purposefully stall high up so they can fall faster . Somehow he was doing something that looked like that without being stuck floating in space for long
  • StealthAria
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    A gravity turn?  That's just pulling up and stalling but then quickly pushing the controls to flip the plane around, it takes a bit of practice to perfect so you're not stuck floating there any longer than you need to be, and each plane behaves differently during the maneuver so you can't just learn one and expect the same to work on all of them.

What you originally described was probably them doing everything they can to bleed speed: braking, repairing and hitting all the directional controls.  Because of how they make the planes move, you can actually shed a lot of speed just by using pitch and yaw in the same manner as ADAD spam.  Even rolling the plane sheds a bit of speed, which can actually let the BF-109 stop super effectively when you take the flaps. (Actually also a good way to drive enemy pilots mad, the server can't keep up with the rolling)