Why is the anti aircraft gun so useless???

Andretti2014
7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I see a flimsy fighter coming straight at me. Not a stuka, not a bomber. A fighter. I start unloading with the 20mm AA gun into him. I hit ALL of my shots. I get hit marker on all of them. Right into his engine, not nearby. I keep firing until the gun overheats and stops firing. He fires a couple of rockets at me and I die.

WHAT THE ACTUAL IS THIS BAD JOKE???

Comments

• ChickenTheTank
    248 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If you want to kill airplanes when they make one pass, and you're not getting help, the only chance is the support engineer combat role.

Even then if the fighter uses its insta- repair well, and has an armor spec, you might not.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Because a single player should not be able to take out a plane on his own.
  • CSO7777
    1122 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    We had this in BF1 (AA was ok but very easy to counter for good pilots) and the "vehicles" often wen't 100-2 (both tanks and planes). The game should be balanced for all players, and the system in BFV is probably the best Dice has made yet (balancing wise). It removes kill-farming for vehicle-players and some of the fear of vehicles for infantry, but it was really stupid in BF3/BF4/BF1 on some maps.

Most players play infantry anyway, why should they not have as much fun as vehicle players?

Fjell is like playing BF1 all over again and it probably is the most hated map in BFV.
  • Matty101yttam
    862 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why not?
    It's an anti aircraft gun made for anti-ing aircraft, why should infantry be at the mercy of aircraft and tanks because aircraft and tanks are powerful against infantry but weapon systems designed with purely combating those vehicles not be powerful.
    Why should planes hold a special place in the game to make pilots feel better? If you ask most people, WW2 was just as much about the defenses as the vehicles, maybe even more so.
  • jbrasher02
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Or learn to fly and go shoot him down yourself instead of complaining. Much more rewarding
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 30

Just like a single player should not be able to take out a tank on his own, but they do.
    Yes and because of it tanks are coffins on tracks in this BF5. You want planes to be even more useless than they are right now?
  • PrecisionWing
    627 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    chinook240 wrote: »
    Totally agree, even if you manage a hit, they simply fly to the edge of the map, heal, rearm and come back and kill you before they are in range of the AA gun.

If used in the ground role the 20mm HE shell from an AA gun should be lethal, but no, you have pump dozens at infantry to get a kill. However, a single pistol bullet is instadeath.

Discussed on the PC forum:
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/191653/aa-so-ineffective

Lol, do you know why planes go all the way to the edge of the map? Because one comping AA from uncap can cover most of the battlefield in most maps.
    AA already being buffed in the last patch
  • TropicPoison
    2388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 30

What's the point of having AA then? A single bomber pilot shouldn't be able to take out a tank or any vehicle solo then with this logic, same goes for assault players they shouldn't be able to take out a tank solo but they can and do.

Also funny you could solo and destroy aircraft by yourself in BF3 and BF1 with AA.
  • ChickenTheTank
    248 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

What's the point of having AA then? A single bomber pilot shouldn't be able to take out a tank or any vehicle solo then with this logic, same goes for assault players they shouldn't be able to take out a tank solo but they can and do.

Also funny you could solo and destroy aircraft by yourself in BF3 and BF1 with AA.

Well for one, single AA guns rarely shot down planes. AA batteries were only effective if you could cover a large mass of land with a multitude of AA cannons all firing virtually non stop to combat planes.

And between all the lock-on launchers and vehicle gadgets, players in BF3 were rarely seen to solo planes and choppers with AA. Oh and I forget the automated spawn AA too.
  • fragnstein
    460 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    AA needs to be able to kill the pilot through the windshield if the plane wants to go toe to toe with an AA

chinook240 wrote: »
    Totally agree, even if you manage a hit, they simply fly to the edge of the map, heal, rearm and come back and kill you before they are in range of the AA gun.

If used in the ground role the 20mm HE shell from an AA gun should be lethal, but no, you have pump dozens at infantry to get a kill. However, a single pistol bullet is instadeath.

Discussed on the PC forum:
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/191653/aa-so-ineffective

Lol, do you know why planes go all the way to the edge of the map? Because one comping AA from uncap can cover most of the battlefield in most maps.
    AA already being buffed in the last patch

The shots don't do squat though
  • MBT_Layzan
    1429 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 30
    Just out of interest what was the best AA vs plane balance in a BF game? I know it's defiantly not BFV.
  • GrizzGolf
    956 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They cant hit anything anymore