Just went back to BF1

Comments

• BFB-LeCharybdis
    784 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I wonder if for Battlefield to succeed as a franchise separate games need to be released for the console and PC platforms. 

Battlefield 1 was the biggest hit in the series by quite a distance, I believe it sold 25 million. It's main detraction is that it saw a greater player drop off on PC, but I started playing BF1 well after the final DLC had dropped and the servers where packed on PS4 EU and NA and I read that BF1 retained a dedicated following on X-Box. 

Perhaps the more 'casual' approach is needed for console where I believe the most money is to be made. Whilst PC receive a smaller game more true to Battlefields past.
    There definitely needs to be different balancing for console and PC, but you seem to be conflating 'console' with 'casual'.  I'm a PC player and always have been (for FPS. I do own a console) and I love BF1.

What do you mean by more "true to Battlefields past"?  For me, BF means multi-discipline (vehicles and infantry), squad/team/coop/objectives-based warfare.  BF1 does that wonderfully.  Vehicles are powerful and fun, but totally counterable in multiple ways.  Infantry are powerful and fun, but well balanced too.  Coop play is always rewarded, but you can go your own way too, if you're good.

To me BF1 was almost perfectly appealing to both 'casual' and more dedicated players, console or PC.
    Absolutely agree BF1 is a superb game. I'm using the term 'Casual' as it seems to be the main term for describing BF1. To be clear, I see no insult in that.

I'm not speaking in absolutes, of course there will be PC players who prefer BF1 just as there must be Console players that prefer BFV.
    But in terms of appeasing the majority of players it's been noted that the PC player base saw a more significant drop off during BF1 than was atypical for a Battlefield game, which could indicate that PC players on the whole prefer a different style of Battlefield. 
    Battlefield began on PC so I assume that the original formula is what people are craving, I never played these games so hopefully others here can better explain what that is.

While on Console BF1 absolutely flourished. I'd argue that if Dice had stuck more closely to this formula and treated V as more of a refined successor to BF1 then V would be just as much of a hit on console. With the customisation options added, possibly even more so. And I say this as a console player who up until patch 4.4 really enjoyed V.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1088 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF1. Solid game. Way too casual, but sure, it was solid. If BFV had it's **** together I would have put BF3 and BFV over BF1.
  • NLBartmaN
    3166 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF1. Solid game. Way too casual, but sure, it was solid. If BFV had it's **** together I would have put BF3 and BFV over BF1.
    Here we go again, what is casual about it?
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1088 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN said:
    Sluggish movement, strong aim assist, lower ceiling on sensitivity settings, sweet spot mechanic, dorito spotting, short grenade fuse, bayonet charge.
  • bigiain
    261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You just need to look at the score board at the end of the round or be in a squad with them to see how poorly some players are doing here. It's definitely less casual. I've no idea how that would be a good thing though, it's definitely less fun.
  • ragnarok013
    3031 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    CHAMMOND1992 I went back to play BF1 on PC recently to see if I've been too hard on the game and I found the base game to be acceptable despite my long standing design objections and that my main point of contention was the players who absolutely refused to play their classes. I was requesting ammo in text and via commo rose for minutes and nobody, even with 3 supports next to me would throw a box down, I'd be downed waiting for res and none of the many medics near me were resing anyone despite being in a safe location. This is something that I've not experienced in any other BF game even after the end of the game's development cycle. Sure there's always been some people who didn't play their classes in BF games but it was never as universal\systemic as I saw in BF1. It really makes me wonder if the BF1 players who are not playing their class are the COD refugees from COD AW who never "went native" when they started playing Battlefield. It seemed as if there were lone wolves everywhere too and few people actually stuck with their squad.
  • ragnarok013
    3031 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    NLBartmaN said:
    NLBartmaN said:
    Sluggish movement, strong aim assist, lower ceiling on sensitivity settings, sweet spot mechanic, dorito spotting, short grenade fuse, bayonet charge.
    So TOO fast movement, no need for aim assist because every gun is laser accurate and most have 3x scope without glint, insane fast TTK (which is worse ans easier than sweet spot), being able to be totally invisible (and no footsteps so also no audio) and camp like crazy, easy PIAT killing, V1/JB2 and artillery strikes, still bayonet charge like in BF V is NOT casual?
    NLBartmaN personally I love the fast movement, it's reminiscent of BF3 just a tad faster. I absolutely hated the launch BF4 movement when it was sluggish and slow and was quite happy when DICE made BF4's movement closer to BF3. I like the BF5 weapon handling altough I prefer BF3's minus the OP suppression mechanic but I agree on squad call ins. Those are too close to COD kill streaks for my taste and I think they should be reserved for a commander role which I really want added to BF5.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    NLBartmaN said:
    NLBartmaN said:
    So TOO fast movement, no need for aim assist because every gun is laser accurate and most have 3x scope without glint, insane fast TTK (which is worse ans easier than sweet spot), being able to be totally invisible (and no footsteps so also no audio) and camp like crazy, easy PIAT killing, V1/JB2 and artillery strikes, still bayonet charge like in BF V is NOT casual?
    Movement is similar to BF3, so in terms of what's been implemented before, so no, movement isn't TOO fast.

Every gun isn't laser accurate. Although I agree with your, "3x scope without glint" mantra.

TTK isn't that much different from other titles (except for TTK 1.0 BF1). Saying it's easier than a one shot kill with the sweet spot mechanic makes no sense.

Visibility and audio issues isn't really an argument.

Camping existed in BF1. 

PIAT has been nerfed, and rightfully so.

V1/Jb2 and artillery strike aren't really annoying to me, especially artillery given how easy they can be avoided.

Bayonet charge isn't nearly as rampant.

Now where did I say BFV wasn't casual?
  • HugoPlayNow
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bayonet charge is a cool feature in BF1 and tricky to pull off actually.  It's easy to side step and then you're still stuck in a run while being shot in the back...lol
  • NLBartmaN

Now where did I say BFV wasn't casual?
    Glad to see we agree  ;)

Too bad some people only talk about BF1 being casual ...
  • CHAMMOND1992
    xDJ_Cas wrote: »
    So long, casual ...

And casual is bad why? BF1 did INCREDIBLY well, is a ton of fun and has a better following than BF5 in my opinion. And many players still reference BC2. Was that not a fun casual game?
    Quite literally every single Battlefield game is casual. BF2 was casual. BF3 was casual. BF4 was casual. Unless BF turns into some esport-centric franchise like CS, it will remain a game franchise oriented towards casual players, while retaining a small competitive community.
    BF1 was by far the most casual of them all. Hence why so many people who had BF4 stayed in BF4.
  • NLBartmaN
    BF1 was by far the most casual of them all. Hence why so many people who had BF4 stayed in BF4.
    Right now BF V is the most casual of them all, that is why players go back to (stayed at) BF1, BF4 and BF HL ...
  • TyroneLoyd
    1336 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 11
    Hate bf1 and still hate it to this day.
    Way too many hours in that game.
  • herodes87
    1269 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Bf4 is more Casual then BF1. Spray N Pray gunplay, Lock on stuff for everything, Auto spotter, Thermo scopes, range finder, 50x scopes, Energy shield for Tanks and Auto Rotation was in that Game too.

So please Stop with BF4 more skillfull. Even BF3 had more noob Gimmicks with Thermo scopes, MAVs and so on. But BF3 had a way better gunplay then BFV and BF4.
  • TectonicGuns
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Wish DICE would make the BF1 Conquest scoring system like all other titles, but then even more would go back to BF1.
  • OskooI_007
    707 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 11
    I like casual, it's fun. :smile:
  • CHAMMOND1992
    NLBartmaN said:
    Right now BF V is the most casual of them all, that is why players go back to (stayed at) BF1, BF4 and BF HL ...
    BFV is the most broken, not the most casual.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1429 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can understand why some like bf1, I did like certain aspects too but a whole load of awful design choices were given birth to in that game that have now matured into abominations in this, like the god awful vehicle spawn system. I also did not like all the behemoths and elite kits.  
  • NLBartmaN
    BFV is the most broken, not the most casual.
    Yeah broken very casual gameplay ...