Weekly Debrief

[QUESTION] How to get kills with anti-tank mines?

MarlboroARG
postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I'm trying to unlock all the weapons, but destroying 5 tanks with mines seems impossible. In 3 months of trying I haven't destroyed a single tank with them. Literally.

Is it just me or they're useless? Basically once tanks hit one, they go back, repair and that's it. 

Comments

• Fruxen
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It takes two mines to destroy a tank. Place two or three as close together as possible. You can't place them closer than a few meters from each other though.

Try a spot where vehicles are likely to pass but not somewhere obvious and visible. Try to hide the mines in rubble or behind corners and small hills. Small mortar craters are great. Horses counts as vehicles in the game too and will also trigger mines. :)
  • ElliotLH
    8367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Amiens is usually the best map for AT mine kills in my opinion. I'd suggest running to the enemy gimme flag at the start and leaving some mines in the road nearby (bit of a shady tactic but not many drivers check when driving out of spawn), or placing them near the bridges and the two slopes on either side of the middle flags. You can be really effective with mines on Mont Grappa too.

Also keep an eye out for camping artillery trucks and tanks which you can sneak up on, drop some mines behind and then bait in to driving over them. 

Also also remember that a lot of tanks, like the LT Flanker, can lay land mines and this can be really effective when fighting a heavy tank since you can circle them easily and force an error. 
  • Ronin9572
    899 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Amiens is by far the best map to destroy vehicles on with AT mines! Once you learn the map you'll know where to put your mines down. But be careful because others are trying to do this to so they'll put them down in front of yours. Don't be afraid to ask for ammo so you can place more mines and if you die and respawn your mines are still there from before. I have 3 accounts and I did this in a few hours with each. And always keep an eye out for campy vehicles so you can flank and place them behind than use a grenade or yourself to bait them into your trap. Happy hunting!
  • The_old_Bones
    4 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Monte Grappa , Operations  I have 1432 AT mines kills there. When you play it you shall see where the tanks ride.
  • V2Face
    2658 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Operations is the easiest mode to do it in, with conquest being a close second. Most newbie players will ride tanks on predictable paths. Best way to do it is at the start of match on Conquest take any transport vehicle/ plane as passenger to base spawn and place them along a main path of travel. 9/10 you will kill most players because they aren’t expecting to hit mines near home base. Operations the best place to place them is near outbounds sector lines or chokes. You can bait tanks with smoke then put down mines if you want to play aggressively. Sneaking on tanks is my favorite way to destroy them.
  • RossP317
    205 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Aside from sneaking up to knife a camping sniper, there are few more satisfying kills than an AT mine - especially one planted a few minutes before that you'd forgotten.

I always liked Rupture - especially the German spawn area - as the vehicle paths are quite predictable. Do try disguise your mines in shell holes or among rubble.

Good luck.
  • PackersDK
    757 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 15
    Operations is good. Vehicles generally come from one direction.

Try and “hide” the mines. On Fao Fortress I put them just below the water where the roads cross shallow water. Reverse side of bomb craters are also good (NOT deep down in the craters), among rubble and debris on Amiens, and so on. 

I got most of my tank kill back when you could stack mines, so I guess it must be harder now. I have restarted on a new accout 14 days ago (BFV sucks donkey ....) and I’ve already got 2 mine kills, I only play Operations. 

Good luck
  • SIy_Badger
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 18
    [edit] double post
    Post edited by SIy_Badger on
  • SIy_Badger
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 18
    [edit] double post

Forget Amiens, do this  belowand you will score multiple such kills in no time. Choose big open maps with multiple planes  - I prefer St. Quentin or Empire's Edge. 

1/ Equip smoke nades
    2/ Jump on the plane as a gunner (do not waste plane yourself, wait for your fiend to be a pilot or jump on the bomber).
    3/ Spot or find camping tank - they do it almost in every game , somewhere near a flag or close to spawn area. The best are mortar truck campers, they are so focused on their kills and usually do not notice anything around them.
    4/ Parachute behind such camping tank - again, they will usually not notice someone jumped just near them. 
    5/ Drop a smoke behind the tank (not in the front,  although many of these campers do not have any idea what is going on, even if you drop a smoke in front of them). 
    6/ Plant 2 mines behind or left/right to the tank
    7/ Drop that big explosive nade near/on the mines.

This is guaranteed kill. If you can ask your pilot to drop you or spot camping tanks, you will get these kills very quickly. You can even do it without a smoke nade, but I find it so much easier with smoke, 9 out of 10 cases such camper will not even notice when you do the job.
    Post edited by SIy_Badger on
  • -Antares65z
    1646 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    In addition to Amiens, Volga River is another good map to get those AT kills. Lots of tanks on that map.  
  • WetFishDB
    1987 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm trying to unlock all the weapons, but destroying 5 tanks with mines seems impossible. In 3 months of trying I haven't destroyed a single tank with them. Literally.

Is it just me or they're useless? Basically once tanks hit one, they go back, repair and that's it. 
    My tip to actively get AT mine kills is to flank and then put one (or two if you can) behind or under a tank.  Then run to the side and throw an AT grenade (or two) at the front.  Often they’ll back up from the damage at the front, and right onto the mine for the kill.  

Alternatively for more passive play, just lay AT mines at obvious choke points for vehicles.  Or if you see a damaged vehicle (bike, car, or tank etc) put an AT mine under it, you never know when an enemy might jump into it and give you a free kill.  Pinch points:

Amiens by either spawn or by the ramps up and down from the railway tracks.  Railway tracks are also occasional routes for cars trying to flank, so worth occasionally putting them there if you see this happening.
    Soissons, down by the village on B, or along the road by the side of E are both relatively busy routes.  Or again out of spawn against the team that spawn at the top of the hill.  They occasionally drive along there to D.
    Passchendaele, around D seems to be a hotbed for action and tanks.
    Somme (as a defender), they come from spawn but often go down towards B, so anywhere along there is normally reasonable.  Plus the long grass makes them harder to spot.  You might get the odd bike going down that side too, so put them on the far right (where there’s a little trench that runs along the edge of the map).
    Galicia, around B or C tends to be good, or the main exits out of either spawn flag.  Cars spawn on A, so you can put them straight ahead of where they spawn and most inexperienced players will just drive straight over them.
    Tsaritsyn has some pretty limited spawn routes for tanks on either side, so you could put a couple down and hope for an unsuspecting driver. 
    Giants Shadow, along the main road by enemy spawn, and by the entrances of C or D under the blimp are usually good.
    You get the gist...

Its tough, as it’s just not the most efficient way of dealing with vehicles.  But it should help you get those AT mine kills.
  • WetFishDB
    1987 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    [edit] double post

Forget Amiens, do this  belowand you will score multiple such kills in no time. Choose big open maps with multiple planes  - I prefer St. Quentin or Empire's Edge. 

1/ Equip smoke nades
    2/ Jump on the plane as a gunner (do not waste plane yourself, wait for your fiend to be a pilot or jump on the bomber).
    3/ Spot or find camping tank - they do it almost in every game , somewhere near a flag or close to spawn area. The best are mortar truck campers, they are so focused on their kills and usually do not notice anything around them.
    4/ Parachute behind such camping tank - again, they will usually not notice someone jumped just near them. 
    5/ Drop a smoke behind the tank (not in the front,  although many of these campers do not have any idea what is going on, even if you drop a smoke in front of them). 
    6/ Plant 2 mines behind or left/right to the tank
    7/ Drop that big explosive nade near/on the mines.

This is guaranteed kill. If you can ask your pilot to drop you or spot camping tanks, you will get these kills very quickly. You can even do it without a smoke nade, but I find it so much easier with smoke, 9 out of 10 cases such camper will not even notice when you do the job.
    Whilst the strategy is fine for getting kills, if you throw the grenade onto the mines I think it might count as a grenade kill.
  • Forkbeard84
    1608 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    (Quote)
    My tip to actively get AT mine kills is to flank and then put one (or two if you can) behind or under a tank.  Then run to the side and throw an AT grenade (or two) at the front.  Often they’ll back up from the damage at the front, and right onto the mine for the kill.  

Alternatively for more passive play, just lay AT mines at obvious choke points for vehicles.  Or if you see a damaged vehicle (bike, car, or tank etc) put an AT mine under it, you never know when an enemy might jump into it and give you a free kill.  Pinch points:

Amiens by either spawn or by the ramps up and down from the railway tracks.  Railway tracks are also occasional routes for cars trying to flank, so worth occasionally putting them there if you see this happening.
    Soissons, down by the village on B, or along the road by the side of E are both relatively busy routes.  Or again out of spawn against the team that spawn at the top of the hill.  They occasionally drive along there to D.
    Passchendaele, around D seems to be a hotbed for action and tanks.
    Somme (as a defender), they come from spawn but often go down towards B, so anywhere along there is normally reasonable.  Plus the long grass makes them harder to spot.  You might get the odd bike going down that side too, so put them on the far right (where there’s a little trench that runs along the edge of the map).
    Galicia, around B or C tends to be good, or the main exits out of either spawn flag.  Cars spawn on A, so you can put them straight ahead of where they spawn and most inexperienced players will just drive straight over them.
    Tsaritsyn has some pretty limited spawn routes for tanks on either side, so you could put a couple down and hope for an unsuspecting driver. 
    Giants Shadow, along the main road by enemy spawn, and by the entrances of C or D under the blimp are usually good.
    You get the gist...

Its tough, as it’s just not the most efficient way of dealing with vehicles.  But it should help you get those AT mine kills.

Good stuff here. Great explanation on using mines for vehicle kills.
  • Forkbeard84
    1608 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 20
    I'll add one.  Horses are one hit kills to mines usually.  So its worth it to mine for horses.   However the horses often seem to run right over them without triggering them.  The trick is for the horse to run Directly on top of the mine.  One good way to make it happen is to watch for any riders that adopt a pattern in an area.  Then you can drop a mine or two or three where you know they'll come.  You can leave the mines alone or even use yourself as bait to lure a rider over them.

Cavalry can see mines pretty well so you should hide em if possible.  

If the horse and rider runs over the mine directly, Boom!  Rider hilled and Horse killed.  Vehicle destroyed.
    Post edited by Forkbeard84 on