Weekly Debrief

Attrition. Maybe it's time to get rid of it completely.

llPhantom_Limbll
5486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
First of all, this is not a crythread of any sort. I just had some thoughts in mind and others probably have the same way of thinking. And while I fully understand that Dice doesn't really care and chances of them to read this are tiny, i still want to have a talk about such controversial addition to BFV known as attrition.

When the alpha test began, the attrition was harsh and really annoying but on release it wasn't that bad, still annoying though. And during the past year it's been tweaked even more. So I got the obvious question here: do we really need this mechanic at all?
While 2.5 classes can negate the effect making its existance almost pointless. And it's one of the major reasons the game is a big campfest as players can easily run out of ammo or get hurt to the point they can't regen much HP back.

This mechanic is hurting both infantry and vehicles, yet it is still here and probably won't go anywhere until the game eventually dies. Trust me, I got used to live with it but I'm also sure it'd benefit everyone if the effect is gone completely.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Bolly_GB
    62 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like it and I don't camp. I don't believe it would encourage the campists out there to PTFO it was removed either.
  • bigiain
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think the static play is caused by attrition, most of those guys aren't running out of ammo before they die, that's the TTD and the visibility that's doing that. People camping with MMGs obviously aren't affected by it either.

Tank sniping might be partly caused by it, but giving them more ammo will just allow a lot of them to snipe for longer. Vehicles in general need a massive overhaul that I can't see us getting here.
  • Zviko0
    1628 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like it. It's not punishing enough actually. There are no magazines like in BF1942. It's just full magazines magically appearing out of nowhere until you run out of ammo count.

If it worked in BF1942 when it was even more punishing, so can in BFV. You did have a bit more ammo though and there were more resupply stations. Maybe that's the answer.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1842 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    With the quick TTK, the effects of attrition for most players i would say is barely noticeable for the majority of times.  You are mostly either at 100% health or dead, and dead before you run out of ammo - unless playing solo and dare i say camping.  i'd say the only time attrition is really noticeable all the time is when tanking and flying as you can quickly run out of ammo.  Attrition is not making people camp.  Poor visability and certain weapons contribute much more than attrition, in fact attrition should mean you do the opposite as you cant self heal and you have less ammo.
  • SickF0x
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like it, it's an extra dynamic that gives you more to think about. It raises my appreciation of support roles, adds to realism/immersion, makes me plan my routes and gives the game an extra strategic element.  
  • Art3misJinx
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes take it out. It's incredibly annoying and makes flanking pretty much worthless.
  • VincentNZ
    2944 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The only real issues are health attrition and gadget attrition. Ammo attrition is a meme, there are enough places where you can get your primary ammo filled up.
    Gadgets that are essential for teamplay actions like PIATs, AT-Pistols, Flares, Smoke even Med- and Ammocrates are limited so you can not unleash your full potential as a player.
    Yesterday I tried to engage a Tiger on Arras, I could not advance further without exposing myself so I needed to shoot with a 50m distance. Hitting a slightly moving target at that range consistently is not an easy task.
    I missed the first ever so slightly, hit on the second for a whooping 16 damage, and then had to cease-fire, since my ammo was depleted. Battlefield is a game where you have to press E to actually be able to participate in the round.
  • NLBartmaN
    3321 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As infantry I don't mind the attrition, as vehicle player I hate it a lot.

As a tanker I have not even close to enough ammo or posibilty to repair to complete an assault on an objective.

As a bomber pilot you just know any decent fighter pilot just stays close to and looking at the resupply points until you need to go there.

Also timing a bomber run is close to impossible, infantry always decides to move in when I just did a run and need to go to a resupply point and wait some time before I can help them.
  • Noodlesocks
    2894 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like the idea of it and I do like the lack of 100% health regen. The problem is that Battlefield 5 is a mish mash of differing design philosophies that don't meld well together. They introduced attrition cause they wanted a slower pace gameplay but they also gave everyone perks that make them better at running and gunning but also they made certain weapons that can only be used effectively when completely stationary but who can resupply themselves anyway.

The concept of attrition I agree with but its implementation and that of many other aspects of gameplay just don't work well together.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1842 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    The only real issues are health attrition and gadget attrition. Ammo attrition is a meme, there are enough places where you can get your primary ammo filled up.
    Gadgets that are essential for teamplay actions like PIATs, AT-Pistols, Flares, Smoke even Med- and Ammocrates are limited so you can not unleash your full potential as a player.
    Yesterday I tried to engage a Tiger on Arras, I could not advance further without exposing myself so I needed to shoot with a 50m distance. Hitting a slightly moving target at that range consistently is not an easy task.
    I missed the first ever so slightly, hit on the second for a whooping 16 damage, and then had to cease-fire, since my ammo was depleted. Battlefield is a game where you have to press E to actually be able to participate in the round.
    As far as i can remember you have always run out of gadget ammo in BF games so BFV is no different.  Only difference is you dont spawn in with the full amount now, which i do agree should be changed.
  • bigiain
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    As far as i can remember you have always run out of gadget ammo in BF games so BFV is no different.  Only difference is you dont spawn in with the full amount now, which i do agree should be changed.
    True, but there were always far more people with ammo crates in previous titles and you could usually find those crates easily enough. The ammo pouch and the assignments that require players to use it have turned support in to a bit of a joke.
  • CaptHotah
    1096 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No...
  • Hawxxeye
    5608 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'd be curious how much Firestorm influenced the mechanics we see in the core game? A lot of good that did.
    it is my pet tinfoil hat theory that attrition was introduced to normalize the firestorm stuff
  • ninjapenquinuk
    Hawxxeye said:
    I'd be curious how much Firestorm influenced the mechanics we see in the core game? A lot of good that did.
    it is my pet tinfoil hat theory that attrition was introduced to normalize the firestorm stuff
    Similar in the thinking that class roles (the original idea not the half rsed version we have now) was to normalize with incursions
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1131 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Getting rid of 3x scopes on anything but recon weapons would fix this game more than getting rid of attrition.

• VincentNZ
    2944 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:

Yeah, but you had more of them (launchers), they would recharge (UCAV) or you could pick them back up (T-UGS, SOFLAM, Mortar). In BF4 I had 7 of any launcher, instead of 2/3, dealing more damage on average, with a clear ease-of-use advantage.
    I agree that vehicle gameplay does not incentivize PTFO, but AT ranged capabilities are non-existant outside of the rare AT-rifle user that is not choosing the weapon for the OHKs.