Weekly Debrief

2080 ti temperature

bigguyhawaii
362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Why does my gpu run 75-69c in the Menu but 50-55 in game??? Fans at 100%

Comments

• SavageBeastZero
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is due to a greater amount of resources being used, at a nearly constant basis. You may see some GPU utilization fluctuation at the menu (sub 99%), but not enough to allow the cards thermal solution to reduce temperatures to the levels seen in actual gameplay. When in actual gameplay, you'll see varying GPU utilization, which allows the GPU thermal solution to control the temperatures as optimally as the thermal design allows.   
  • OskooI_007
    790 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Frame rate is higher in the menus. Higher frame rate = more heat.
  • Nutcrusherr
    258 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    Frame rate is higher in the menus. Higher frame rate = more heat.

Lol... :D
    By this logic if i go play super mario with 10000 fps it will produce more heat huh? You should go refresh your memory cos thats not how it works... :D :D
  • OskooI_007
    790 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yup, that's exactly how it works.
  • TFBisquit
    1643 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 20
    Only if there is a moving image, or pixels.
    You can have 300fps in a menu or dark screen with little to no extra heat.
    Same with the cpu, at 5Ghz and 1.3v it sits at 35C. Run a task however and it shoots up.
    Bfv taxes the GPU in menu because of the animation.
    Btw super Mario or any other old game runs at max fps But wont make my card hotter. The instructions aren’t sophisticated enough.
    Then there are simple animations like furmark that almost blow up your card. Well before it was nerfed to prefent too much faulty cards being returned.
  • Nutcrusherr
    258 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 20

So if i turn everything on ultra 4k res will give me less fps=less temp by your wierd logic.. right.. :D
    Post edited by Nutcrusherr on
  • choppernNZ
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Correct
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Because in the menu background you have your soldiers and some enviromental graphics. My fps is usually lower in the menu compared to in game.
    Weird but yeah, menu is more gpu intensive than the game itself.
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    563 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    [code]gametime.maxvariablefps 144[/code]

Problem solved?
  • marked4death
    128 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 20

So if i turn everything on ultra 4k res will give me less fps=less temp by your wierd logic.. right.. :disappointed:

Rendering Speed = Frequency = Amps and Amps Equal Heat!  Higher the amps needed the more heat you will generate. 

Think of it in terms of physics and not art...

• CSO7777
    1201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 20
    marked4death said:
    Rendering Speed = Frequency = Amps and Amps Equal Heat!  Higher the amps needed the more heat you will generate. 

Again that's not how it works. A GPU has a lot of shader-cores and the heat comes from the workload of the shaders (and other units of the GPU). An old game could run at 1000FPS, but because the shaders are much more simple it will not produce as much heat as a modern title even at a high FPS. Furmark is an example of this, it's not a question of high FPS but a question of GPU-utilization.
  • marked4death
    128 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 21
    CSO7777 said:
    marked4death said:

Again that's not how it works. A GPU has a lot of shader-cores and the heat comes from the workload of the shaders (and other units of the GPU). An old game could run at 1000FPS, but because the shaders are much more simple it will not produce as much heat as a modern title even at a high FPS. Furmark is an example of this, it's not a question of high FPS but a question of GPU-utilization.
    UHHHH DUH...I dont see how you are "disagreeing" with electrical engineering

If the card does not need to use all of the available transistors and conductors...it will not have the need for the wattage to run them and there for lower the amps and volts! Again this is how it works...try and think dynamically

Just so we're clear my response was to the guy who claimed 4k rendering would cause more heat over say 1440p at a higher refresh rate on the same card, which is sadly short sited. If the transistors are being turned on and off rapidly they created wasted energy the more of them being turned on and off...the more heat but, more and faster creates higher amps. The biggest producer of heat is a dirty electrical frequency and High amps with low voltage. If you are rendering something simple, with few shaders and texture, less conductors need to be active... High amps and low voltage cause heat...just in your discription, its applying to less conductors. Furmark was the perfect example of amps poorly used...Furmark would turn them all on and the amps would cause the general coil whine that people heard.
    Post edited by marked4death on
  • MOSSAD-RECRUITER
    319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 21
    I don't have that problem. MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio, running at 1440p. Highest temp is in-game, about 55-60 celsius, and the fans are almost quiet. GPU is far from 100% when in menu.
    Regarding FPS, I noticed the new CoD game has an option to limit FPS in menu separately. So, there must be something about that. However, comparing one resolution with another, like some do here, is not a comparison in this context. The issue is within the same setup, so it is not caused by extra number of pixels rendered. Since I do not experience the same, but the opposite, it must be something with specific hardware.
  • TFBisquit
    1643 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The bfv menu could be intentional. To catch hardware insufficient in running the game properly. It's taxing regardless, from day one.
    In any case, higher fps doesn't automatically translate into higher temps. Many games display very highfps in menus or loading screens, where temps usually drops.
    On the other hand one could enable vsync at 60hz and see temps go down. Card will wait now for new instructions instead of pushing them out asap.
    So it's all about the instruction set and tasks being put on the card.
    Anyway, with fans at auto and usually only going 80% it's difficult to see temp difference if the bios says from 82°c fans should go all the way, keeping it there. One could override this at the expense of extra noise, but then you also have throttling processes which are implemented.
    So there is much more to it then simply saying higher fps cause more heat.
  • bigguyhawaii
    362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't have that problem. MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio, running at 1440p. Highest temp is in-game, about 55-60 celsius, and the fans are almost quiet. GPU is far from 100% when in menu.
    Regarding FPS, I noticed the new CoD game has an option to limit FPS in menu separately. So, there must be something about that. However, comparing one resolution with another, like some do here, is not a comparison in this context. The issue is within the same setup, so it is not caused by extra number of pixels rendered. Since I do not experience the same, but the opposite, it must be something with specific hardware.

Yes mine is the same in game but what’s yours when just in the menu?

• Jinko_itx
    722 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    an i5 9600k is not good enough for a 2080 it, you are cpu limited
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13078 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Why does my gpu run 75-69c in the Menu but 50-55 in game??? Fans at 100%
    Mine runs rather warm too when everything is cranked at 4K.

Is yours the Founders edition or third party?

Jinko_itx said:
    I was told something similar regarding my i7 4790K but it's fine,  I'm seeing stutters in DX12 with DXR on but with it off there's no stutters at all.

It could be just an optimisation issue though as I've tried DXR demo's like the star wars one and it's fluid.
  • CSO7777
    1201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jinko_itx said:
    The CPU is fine, CPU-limitation doesn't slow down the GPU, it just doesn't use the full potential of the GPU. He could perhaps get higher FPS from a faster CPU, but probably not as good FPS (as he gets) with any other GPU.

And BFV is very CPU-demanding, in many other games the CPU is not limiting the GPU and it will run at max speed.

• Carbonic
    1389 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    New Nvidia cards pump out a ton of heat, 60-75 degrees should be expected in modern AAA titles like BFV. BFV renders the background of the menu using the in-game engine so the menu can take more resources than certain parts of the game. This does shorten load times once you are in the menu but I personally like light and snappy menus better. Loved Battlelog which I could even have on my second monitor.
  • Kompura
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    In BFV menu/idle screen, GPU usage is ~99% while in the game in my rig it's 60-70%. So a lot of more heat in menu compared to actual game. It's a bug that has been there always but not fixed. Btw. I noticed that in new COD there is a separate option to set fps for menu. Maybe BFV could use that as a guidance...