Weekly Debrief

Support for Firestorm has officially been scrapped (opinion)

TheFieryHotSauce
36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited October 7
"Firestorm Loot Changes/Respawn Mechanic - In blogs published after EA Play, we said that we were working on introducing a radically different Looting system, as well as a Respawn Mechanic similar to the one found in Apex. These plans are presently on hold, and are being re-evaluated whilst we focus our efforts on restoring quality to the core of the Battlefield experience. 

Our update notes will be published here on the Subreddit in the next few hours. We'll have them live in the game, and on the Battlefield website tomorrow morning."

Taken from Partwelsh here

And, if you speak "DICE" you'll know that "re-evaluate" is how they describe things that are being canned before they officially announce it. A bit like how 5 v 5 was being "re-evaluated". 

Honestly, I'm so disappointed in DICE, I thought Firestorm could be the saving grace of Battlefield V but they don't have the talent to update Firestorm like other Battle Royales are able to do. What annoys me the most is the lack of communication, why wait until the very end up chapter 4 to announce that something that was advertised to be in chapter isn't arriving (respawn/new looting). Now they don't even have the balls to tell us Firestorm is canned, they will only hint at it. 

So there you have it, the most poorly managed AAA game studio puts out the most poorly managed Battle Royale, and then they wonder why BFV hasn't been a booming success. 

Post edited by Carbonic on

Comments

• LedHead_NZ
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well they have only really said that the Respawn/new looting Mechanic has been put on hold.  Hoping this may still mean other content such as additional weapons may still be coming. 
    It says on the BF website "expanding arsenal  of weapons " . But i personally don't have high hopes that any further content will be coming apart from the odd bug fix. Hope we are both wrong and they surprise us.  A bit crazy that the only weapons we got added since the launch of firestorm was an MMG (encourages prone/camping meta) , A 20 round LMG, the commando carbine which does way to little damage to be effective, o & the boys AT rifle because why not.  Better decisions could have been made for sure.
  • Amp1776
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Im gonna make the wild prediction that they will get to it eventually. Firestorm IS a fun mode IMHO
  • tempo_rarity
    1057 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ^ I agree 

BF's BR is both unique and a draw , from what I've read here .
    It's different from the other BR's and fans of the mode have bought/are buying V just to try it .

Perhaps then the 'on hold' part of the statement is just them abandoning their 'similar to' planning aspects of their BR vs other BR's .
    They want to stick with 'unique' .
  • ChickenTheTank
    335 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What's sad is if they'd actually supported firestorm and had a hotfix process in place, Firestorm would have quickly been a far better BR than PUBG. At least for the console experience.
  • Carbonic
    1389 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited October 7
    I've edited the subject by adding a clarifying "(opinion)" to the end of it so as to not confuse people that might not read the whole thing @TheFieryHotSauce
  • ChickenTheTank
    335 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic wrote: »
    I've edited the subject by adding a clarifying "(opinion)" to the end of it so as to not confuse people that might not read the whole thing @TheFieryHotSauce

Is it an opinion though? Updates have been put on hold with no announced plans to resume. Seems more objective than subjective doesn't it?

• Trokey66
    8380 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Is it an opinion though? Updates have been put on hold with no announced plans to resume. Seems more objective than subjective doesn't it?

Just as far as looting and respawn system is concerned. There is nothing in there to suggest that ALL support has ceased for good.
  • Carbonic
    1389 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator

The whole thread is about how the OP interprets different comments like "on hold, and are being re-evaluated" to mean that 
    "Support for Firestorm has officially been scrapped"
    but those comments in the context of other games are too vague to objectively say it's official, hence the need to be more precise with the subject text when it comes to if it's an official statement or not. If you have a word that better convey that than "opinion" I'll gladly take suggestions in PMs so as to not derail the thread further.
  • LedHead_NZ
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In my opinion it would be nice to have some clear info. 
    Just filled out the latest BFV survey and would be fair to say i had a bit had a rant   :D
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
    We all know what DICE means when they say something is being "re-evaluated". You know what else was re-evaluated? The 5v5 mode. 

It's DICE talk for 'we aren't planning any further updates'. Read between the lines. 
  • BUZZOSAW777
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    this game is a piece of crap horrible hit reg no support no north american players and garbage server quality 
  • S1n31ra
    128 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    this game is a piece of crap horrible hit reg no support no north american players and garbage server quality 

Hmmm, yet you play it every day ...
  • jroggs
    427 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    We all know what DICE means when they say something is being "re-evaluated". You know what else was re-evaluated? The 5v5 mode. 

It's DICE talk for 'we aren't planning any further updates'. Read between the lines. 

That's not "official," though. It's just an educated assumption.
  • dandop_oq7r7ppf
    245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My hope is by reevaluating Firestorm means they are planning to make it F2P

I imagine making it F2P isn’t as simple as flipping a switch, so they may have to divert those resources at the moment.

I really think this would be a smart move for battlefield in general, as new players may feel more inclined to buy the full game, if they enjoy Firestorm.
  • SirSpectacle
    794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The OP needs a dictionary.
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    The OP needs a dictionary.
    Nah, I just speak "DICE" so I can tell you now, this is as official as they get.