Weekly BF

FPS on OP Underground

124»

Comments

• TFBisquit
    1702 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's not the CPU usage. It's the GPU that's hurt the most in this map.
  • Lou00007
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This map needs optimization I noticed it drops 10-20 frames from other maps...
  • Aditrex
    122 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 21
    (video link removed for breaking the forum rules about profanity) nice cpu usage dice 
    Post edited by Carbonic on
  • iamwiener
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 21
    TFBisquit said:
    Most of my friends have a newer CPU than mine but I use the most recent GPU among my friends. On all maps I have around 30%-40% higher fps with similar settings. Except for underground where my fps is even lower than my friends fps. Explain plz?
  • Nzz1
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    iamwiener said:
    TFBisquit said:
    Most of my friends have a newer CPU than mine but I use the most recent GPU among my friends. On all maps I have around 30%-40% higher fps with similar settings. Except for underground where my fps is even lower than my friends fps. Explain plz?
    It's called cpubound :smile:

I'm getting WAY higher fps with my 9900k with 4400mhz memory VS my OLD Ryzen 1800x with 3200mhz memory. Using the same 2080ti gpu.

Underground is perfectly smooth with 9900k using 144hz 3440x1440 monitor. LG 950f
  • TFBisquit
    1702 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, I ran an i7 2600k with gtx1080, upgraded to a 9900k and gained stability plus some extra fps. Except for underground, fps took a dive in that map.
    I'm gpu bound, 100%, lol mayby twice that.
    Anyway, the cpu required a new z390 board with ddr4 memory and a 850w psu since the 700w is already some 10 years old, but still blazing.
    Didn't want to risk that though on the new setup. I kept the gpu and drives.
    So yes, I believe all the extra eyecandy in ou is harder on the gpu. So regardless of cpu, fps will go down in that map.
    I believe even 9900k+RTX2080Ti looses some 20 fps in that map, although it wont be noticed much if you were already between 160 and 200 fps.
  • iamwiener
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 22
    Nzz1 said:
    iamwiener said:
    TFBisquit said:
    It's called cpubound :smile:

I'm getting WAY higher fps with my 9900k with 4400mhz memory VS my OLD Ryzen 1800x with 3200mhz memory. Using the same 2080ti gpu.

Underground is perfectly smooth with 9900k using 144hz 3440x1440 monitor. LG 950f
    I'm lost now: I asked why TFBisquit stated it is NOT the CPU but GPU that causes low FPS when I witness the opposite?!
  • TFBisquit
    Operation underground is graphically more demanding than the other maps. So when you run a i9 9900k at 5Ghz and see fps drop by 20, it's most likely the gpu, especially when it's at 1440p and gpu bound.
    But how to explain? With i9 9900k+gtx1080 benchmarks from reputable sites claim 105 fps at ultra 1440p and DX11. And that's about right since I have that setup and fps.
    But in ou at ultra 1440p and DX11 it drops 20 to 40 fps from that 105. If I use my mixed settings I'm fine and reasonably smooth, don't even notice lower fps.
    The difference is when at ultra settings.
    So higher video settings cause lower fps, while lower videosettings make it alright again.
    Gpu bound.
  • iamwiener
    edited October 22
    I repeat: It's my CPU that is outdated. It is sufficient for all maps except underground. I run on low gfx settings because 140 fps is more important than 70 fps and nice gfx effects.

How do you explain this simple observation on underground with same ingame settings:
    New GPU + old CPU = low FPS
    OLD GPU + newer CPU = higher FPS

To me it looks like either cpu or total different/random.
  • SneakyGunman
    378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 23
    It's not just the cpu core clock and voltage that's the problem if you overclock your cpu.  You may need to bump up voltage for other aspects of your motherboard/cpu that feeds power to the memory/cpu/etc.
    IE:
    VCCIO
    CPU System Agent Voltage
    PLL Voltage
    Load Line Calibration
    etc

You really have to know what you are doing with you overclocking. I believe things would improve if you reset the bios and run the cpu at stock. 

And the CPU does play an important part of feeding data to the gpu so the gpu stays over 95% usage. 

• LOLGotYerTags
    13257 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    iamwiener said:
    How do you explain this simple observation on underground with same ingame settings:
    New GPU + old CPU = low FPS
    OLD GPU + newer CPU = higher FPS

To me it looks like either cpu or total different/random.
    Easy..

New GPU + old CPU = CPU bound
    Old GPU + Newer cpu = GPU bound,  But the CPU can push more frames to the GPU in the renderqueue.
  • iamwiener
    This is a bit derp... I know very well what CPU/GPU bound means. I fiddle around with hardware since almost 30 years now.
    I say the map plays better with newer CPU and older GPU (than vice versa combination) hence it looks that whatever causes the low fps is done by CPU.
    While TFBisquit states its is "GPU that's hurt the most in this map"

When I sit alone in a dark tunnel on underground and still have fps lower than 50 I highly doubt that it is "GPU that's hurt the most in this map". Especially as I have had rounds on underground CQ/breakthrough full server with stable 80 FPS which is not good but acceptable.

• TFBisquit
    edited October 23
    Ok
    1. Initially I had the same fps in ou as other maps at mixed settings.
    2. I read on forum many suffer low fps in this map.
    3. I set graphics to ultra at 1440p to check.
    4. My fps is cut in half.
    5. I set graphics to low at 1440p and all is fine again.
    6. Back at ultra and set cpu clocks default on all 8 cores. No fps loss.
    7. I set all 8 cores at 5Ghz stable. No fps gain.
    8. I overclock my video card and gain extra fps. Setting it at default gives lower fps.
    So sure, you need both components to play smooth. If the cpu is too slow, no GPU will cure that. Same goes if I put my Radeon 6970 with my 9900k. Plenty of games wont run then.
    Anyway, bfv likes 8 threads to work well, when I disabled ht on my 2600k i7 I lost some 20fps and stability. So you need enough threads first to have a stable game.
    As for operation underground, many rtx features were added. Maybe some server settings make none rtx cards suffer, Maybe something else. But its the only map with such an impact on a pc system. And when you gain nothing in changing cpu speeds, but gain fps with faster videocard settings, I feel it has to do with the videocard part and not the cpu.
    With an adequate cpu and videocard that is.
    I understand your experience that a fast cpu can releave the strain on the GPU.
    Mixing a rtx2080 with a slow cpu or 9900k with a slow GPU will give different results.
    You cant point that to one map entirely, because there is still something wrong.
  • iamwiener
    edited October 23
    Now I understand where you come from. THX for that.
    But what you tested is totally different from what I meant. Obviously, when you max out GFX settings, the fps is bound to your GPU. On my scenario I have GFX settings almost minimum. Therefore: when my GPU is "almost bored" and I still have low FPS ... it must be the CPU that struggles with something. An as I witness it on underground only, it looks like a  map specific issue to me.
  • Captain4twenty20
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Im getting 70 to 90 fps on others map in bf5 but it drops to 40 fps in op underground on lowering from ultra to low there not much fps increase i think there is some othere issue instead of pc hardware
  • Jinko_itx
    731 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    turn on GPU restricted memory, having it off causes microstutter...
  • duendemago
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    phattmaxi said:
    I have a 9900k i have a  2080 Ti, 32bg fast ram.... why is this game so fraught with issues, i also have completely unplayable stuttering. mint.
    I feel your frustration dude!. Even though, to all those people saying "buy a 10900 ultra Milk Lake 2021 edition running at 10GHZ dude" then why Dice put I5s as the minimum and an I7 that underperforms nice 8th gen i5s? If the game was well optimized it should run smooth with the RECOMMENDED SETTINGS. The game doesn't run like that. Some i9s owners feel the game smooth but so many others don't. The game IS BAD OPTIMIZED and needs more work to do. Stop blaming the rigs.
  • Daveyboi747
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nzz1 said:
    This map is VERY hard on the cpu, and it seams like it's very latency sensitive too. FPS is fine on my 9900k, but not so much with my overclocked Threadripper, even in "gamingmode" (8 core mode)

9900k @ 5.1ghz with 4133mhz tweaked memory ~40ns latency,  does the trick. Ryzen 1. gen and second gen has to high latency to get 130-140 min fps on this map. Sad but true ;)
    Yes I can confirm this is infact good information. Used to game this map ZERO issues on a 8700k/9900k ~ 5.4/5.5 ghz sub zero system with 4500 CL 18 RAM. Went to my overclocked threadripper at 3333 Cl 14 4.2 ghz all core. The game has studder at the beginning of the map, slowly goes away after 5 minutes but it's definitely due to latency. 
  • Jinko_itx
    731 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    this map uses more cpu power than even Amiens, it goes up to 90% cpu usage. Granted I am using a 2080 ti and so that can account for the cpu usage but seeing how it can go up to 90% when Amiens usually goes up to 80% and all other maps is between 50-70% usage shows that you really need a balanced system (cpu that can keep up with your video card).
  • duendemago
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jinko_itx said:
    this map uses more cpu power than even Amiens, it goes up to 90% cpu usage. Granted I am using a 2080 ti and so that can account for the cpu usage but seeing how it can go up to 90% when Amiens usually goes up to 80% and all other maps is between 50-70% usage shows that you really need a balanced system (cpu that can keep up with your video card).
    Then tell Dice not to lie to the community. Their minimum and recommended settings are pretty clear. Otherwise, they should told us: "this game only runs with an I9 so stop crying!"