Weekly Debrief

I wonder how many people are going to watch 1917 from having played BF1

TropicPoison
2415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I am! It looks like Saving Private Ryan but the WW1 version, I'm sure it will be a great movie and definitely gonna have to see it in IMAX to hear all the explosions and bullets flying.

Comments

• Titan_Awaken
    728 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Pretty specific question you're asking. 

I don't think an exact, definitive figure would be ever obtainable but BF1 has certainly popularised WW1 for mainstream audiences so I think it would be safe to say that it will have an impact on the performance of this film. Now how large or small that impact will be is anyone's guess. This is all just conjecture of course.

Anyway, enjoy your film!
  • disposalist
    8606 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I certainly have gained a greater interest in WW1 since getting BF1 and I'm sure it has piqued the interest of many, because it is such a good, immersive experience.
  • MarxistDictator
    4908 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 6
    It looks fairly accurate unlike Saving Private Ryan. Have yet to see their portrayals of the Central Powers soldiers yet, hopefully they are not head shaved monsters for no other reason than they're getting shot on screen. God Spielberg is a hack...

I do like the mud, lots of WW1 movies don't get the budget to properly remake no man's land and it hurts the immersiveness. It isn't as grimy as Passchendaele but it is there. Being shot in a single take sounds extremely interesting.
  • PackersDK
    757 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It looks fairly accurate unlike Saving Private Ryan. Have yet to see their portrayals of the Central Powers soldiers yet, hopefully they are not head shaved monsters for no other reason than they're getting shot on screen. God Spielberg is a hack...

I do like the mud, lots of WW1 movies don't get the budget to properly remake no man's land and it hurts the immersiveness. It isn't as grimy as Passchendaele but it is there. Being shot in a single take sounds extremely interesting.
    I think, considering some other Hollywood movies out there, that you’re being a bit harsh on Spielberg. Saving Private Ryan is pretty damn decent, apart from the haircuts. The german soldier isn’t portrayed as a monster, a bit ungrateful perhaps. 

Your entitled to your opnion, obviously, but if your threshold starts at haircuts, well then you’ll have a hard time finding movies up to your standards.
  • Forkbeard84
    1609 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Saving Private Ryan is a great movie! Spielberg a hack!? Ha, his box office record says otherwise.

I thought 1917 looked pretty imteresting from the trailers . Playing BF1 has definitely made me more interested in WW1.
  • TropicPoison
    2415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I certainly have gained a greater interest in WW1 since getting BF1 and I'm sure it has piqued the interest of many, because it is such a good, immersive experience.

I love war movies saw windtalkers in the theater with my grandfather may he RIP...And I love Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Platoon, Patton, Full Metal Jacket, We Were Soldiers, Apocalypse Now, Hurt Locket and etc.

I would have seen this regardless if I ever played BF1 or not but having played it I'm even more interested in seeing it, and yeah BF1 for me is the most immersive Battlefield game in the franchise for me, BFV is probably at the bottom and it's sad that a game with WW2 weapons and vehicles doesn't feel like a WW2 game at all to me.
  • MarxistDictator
    4908 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    PackersDK wrote: »
    (Quote)
    I think, considering some other Hollywood movies out there, that you’re being a bit harsh on Spielberg. Saving Private Ryan is pretty damn decent, apart from the haircuts. The german soldier isn’t portrayed as a monster, a bit ungrateful perhaps. 
    Your entitled to your opnion, obviously, but if your threshold starts at haircuts, well then you’ll have a hard time finding movies up to your standards.

The only instance where the Germans aren't aggressive or disrespecting the laws of war is when they find the radio team in that town and the Americans shoot first. The entire rest of the movie and all the rest of the German soldiers are shaved monsters.
  • PackersDK
    PackersDK wrote: »
    (Quote)

The only instance where the Germans aren't aggressive or disrespecting the laws of war is when they find the radio team in that town and the Americans shoot first. The entire rest of the movie and all the rest of the German soldiers are shaved monsters.
    How many scenes are we even talking about? That is; non-combat scenes with Germans doing “monster” things.

And if your mindset is, “aggressive/shoot first equals being portrayed negatively” then, like the haircut thing, your standards are impossible. Are the American “monsters“ when they shoot first?!

I get that you perhaps(?) have some issues with how non-allied soldiers are portrayed by Hollywood, but it really seems like you’re nitpicking and intent on finding faults.

I literally cannot remember a scene where I thought “those monster germans!”. Even the scene where Hanks is killed is about a good deed punished. Not what the released german did in an intense combat moment. 
  • MarxistDictator
    No it goes through the entire movie. We get no perspective of the Germans as anything but targets or faceless killers gunning down the Americans. They expect us to feel sympathy for the dying Americans but feel like the Germans burning to death from flames or wily Pete deserve it. They try to justify this with the anachronistic insert of American knowledge of death camps in 1944. The few we see without helmets are all coincidentally shaved heads. The 2 that surrender at the start of the movie that are killed are Czechs.

It's not like the majority of movies that remember that war is a phenomenon involving 2 parties and that there really isn't a right side of history in any discourse. No men are more or less deserving of death on screen than the other. Even movies that totally lack a perspective of the other side (like Hacksaw Ridge) still portray the Japanese and their customs/grim fighting conditions well. Spielberg made his own war movie where you're supposed to encourage bloodshed on one side and feel bad about when it happens to the other. Hackish.
  • PackersDK
    Well, it’s a story about an American squad looking for another American. I’m not sure why you would expect to see it from the German perspective?? How long would these war movies be, if every sides story needed to be told, the opposing soldiers needed backstories, monolog scenes, names etc etc??

-The Americans shot down surrendering enemies at the beach.
    -The captain (Hanks) has to stop his squad from killing a POW German because he killed (in regular combat, being attacked) a popular medic.
    -Upham is portrayed as lacking courage in the village.
    -Upham guns down the released German when he has his hands up, while letting the rest go. 

I can’t for the life of me see how you get “Americans good/Germans bad” from this movie. It’s much more nuanced than that. 

I’ve seen German war movies, Italian, and even Turkish. I don’t expect them to have backstories and names for the Russian, American and Australian soldiers they fight. 

But I suspect we watch movies a different way, and that is fine. 
  • disposalist
    8606 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I have seen lots of war movies and I remember many of them showing empathy for the German people and the German soldiers, but not so much the high command and the camp commandants...  Hollywood/American war movies do tend to be a bit more gung-ho and blasé about the realities of 'the enemy', but even those are hardly a majority of glorification pieces.  They may show things from the American perspective, but, they are often very harrowing.  Anyway, they are made by Americans and film, books, etc are better if you go with what you know.

I wonder why there aren't more WW2 films from Germany?...  Hmm.  Yeah.
  • MarxistDictator
    Not really. In Fury and Hacksaw Ridge (Hollywood af war movies) there is not a deliberate effort to portray the deaths of the Allied soldiers as somehow more gruesome and terrible than the others. It's clearly observable in the movie that the intent of the filming style is to encourage the death of the enemy on screen. It's a pretty stark contrast to movies that capitalize on the drama of the dehumanization of violence by all sides. Fury also explores the desensitization and detachment from the carnage and the hatred for your enemy that enables it, but it doesn't simply gun the Germans down but ham up every American death.

It's literally it's own style of war movie and as much a propaganda piece as the propaganda being made at the time its portraying.
  • OskooI_007
    786 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Saving Private Ryan is my favorite war movie. Tom Hanks is such a great actor. Wilson!!!
  • Forkbeard84
    1609 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 9
    World War 2 is one of the rare wars where one side, the Germans, were truly evil in their actions. Adolf H, their leader was a crazed racist Meglomaniac. The Germans were the aggressors and attacked first on Poland, Czechoslovakia, France, Britain, Russia and the USA. They performed horrible ethnic cleansing of Jews, and maintained deathcamps.

In World War 2, Germans were considered by many to be on the side of evil. The political correctness of today has gone too far when people whine about the depiction of Germans as shave headed monsters in a World War 2 movie.

Please first remember what **** (and the Germans) did in World War 2. It was terrible.

• HugoPlayNow
    53 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I liked "Flyboys"  It was a bit glossy in plot, but was amazed that the Escadrilles was a real thing all the way down to the pet tigers.  The coolest part was seeing the planes of course.  Made me appreciate them more in the game...especially the bombers.

I also wiki'ed Eddie Rickenbacker after reading an article on him in Motor Trend.  Seems not only was he a WW1 Flying Ace, but prewar raced the Indy 500 4 times, and post war owned the Indianapolis Speedway, as well as founded Eastern Airlines.  Post War he also survived two horrific plane crashes.  Crashed in a B17 at sea and survived 24 days on fish and rainwater!  Crashed in a DC-3 and almost left for dead.  Yet he still went on to live to 82!  His bio was amazing...especially since WW1 was such a small part of the amazing stuff he did.
  • J3krt0rk2n64r3r2
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Wouldn’t use Battlefield 1 as an accurate source of information on WW1, the movie looks good but will be much more realistic than BF1, uniforms are better for a start
  • herodes87
    1271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Germans will be evil Monsters Like every Brit/American movie. Just Take the one Scene from the Trailer where dead civillians are in a River. I Bet my Money on it that the Germans excetuted them or killed them atleast.
  • TropicPoison
    Wouldn’t use Battlefield 1 as an accurate source of information on WW1, the movie looks good but will be much more realistic than BF1, uniforms are better for a start

Well no kidding...I'm just saying I'm more interested in seeing it after having played BF1 seeing with the weapons and vehicles and everything in BF1.