Weekly Debrief

The DX 12 performance is broken in this game.

DarkRTX2080
2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
System specs:

Intel Core i7 7700k 4.5ghz 
‘RTX 2080
16GB 3200mhz RAM. 

DX 12 causes a lot of stuttering on my system. Turning future frame rendering on or off doesn’t fix the low fps. Switching to dx11 solves the issue and gives me 15 more fps in the same spot and very less stutters. DX 12 should be fixed so I can atleats try out RTX features. 

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    13065 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Check your Nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings and set these options,  It should help you out.

• Low Latency Mode :  Ultra
    • OpenGL rendering GPU : select your GPU
    • Power Management Mode : Prefer maximum performance
    • Texture Filtering Quality : High Performance
    • Vertical Sync : Fast

• bass-junkie-xl
    525 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    your 7700k 4 core cpu is a massive bottle neck in bf5 and wil lcause stuttering  heck my 8700k  @ 5 ghz gets up to 90 % usage and causes stuttering . 
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13065 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    your 7700k 4 core cpu is a massive bottle neck in bf5 and wil lcause stuttering  heck my 8700k  @ 5 ghz gets up to 90 % usage and causes stuttering . 
    Idk,  at 1080p he'll be CPU bound,  But at 1440p up to 4k the GPU will take over.

I know this as I'm running an i7 4790k paired with a 2080ti and DX11 is smooth,  DX12 is smooth on its lonesome.

Throw in DXR at any setting ( low / med / high / ultra ) and performance absolutely tanks,  Even with DLSS enabled.

I've spoke to many users who run the 20 series GPUs and they've all told me that BFV is the only game where DX12 has issues.

So its either an optimisation issue or the implementation of DX12 combined with the engine that is causing issues
  • TFBisquit
    1637 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 10
    A 7700k is not a bottleneck, and certainly not the cause of stuttering. I had neither with my i7 2600k.
    Btw Metro Exodus also had issues with dx12.
  • Nutcrusherr
    254 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    Idk,  at 1080p he'll be CPU bound,  But at 1440p up to 4k the GPU will take over.

I know this as I'm running an i7 4790k paired with a 2080ti and DX11 is smooth,  DX12 is smooth on its lonesome.

Throw in DXR at any setting ( low / med / high / ultra ) and performance absolutely tanks,  Even with DLSS enabled.

I've spoke to many users who run the 20 series GPUs and they've all told me that BFV is the only game where DX12 has issues.

So its either an optimisation issue or the implementation of DX12 combined with the engine that is causing issues

Yep dxr can do that sadly. And dlss just makes the game so ugly. With it on i get like 100~ fps without it goes down to 70-80. Not worth it as i have a 144hz monitor and i need the fps above 100+.
  • Wboson
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DX12 is broken on most modern game, Division 2 has the  same issue.
    Doom on Vulkan, like riding on melten butter- 200FPS on i7 3770k.

DX11 + FFR ON, quite well playable at 71FPS cap. DX12 unplayable.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2896 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Make sure that you have Windows 10 version 1903. Anything below that will not allow BF5 to work at DX12.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    (Quote)

Yep dxr can do that sadly. And dlss just makes the game so ugly. With it on i get like 100~ fps without it goes down to 70-80. Not worth it as i have a 144hz monitor and i need the fps above 100+.
    Theres a fix for the DLSS making the game blurry,  But you need Geforce experience installed.

Using nvidia freestyle ( alt + F3 ) you can apply a sharpening filter to bypass TAA and DLSS blur.

You should try it
  • Nutcrusherr
    254 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    Theres a fix for the DLSS making the game blurry,  But you need Geforce experience installed.

Using nvidia freestyle ( alt + F3 ) you can apply a sharpening filter to bypass TAA and DLSS blur.

You should try it

Thanks, i'll look into that tomorrow!
  • TFBisquit
    1637 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Make sure that you have Windows 10 version 1903. Anything below that will not allow BF5 to work at DX12.

Works fine with 1809 at dx12.
    Unfortunately the inputlag is noticable in close combat so I prefer dx11 with somewhat lower fps. Maybe you meant something else?
  • Jinko_itx
    721 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    System specs:

‘RTX 2080
    16GB 3200mhz RAM. 

in the in-game options, go to GPU restricted memory to ON

• Jinko_itx
    721 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 12

not necessarily, if you have a powerful card, the game will need to keep up with the data you are pushing from the video card, so its best to match a cpu that can handle the data that you gpu is pushing ( even at ulltra settings, your gpu will render as much as it can, the more it is capable of rendering, the more cpu is needed to keep latency low from the gpus' memory.)
    EDIT: you are right about DX 12 as the foundation is DX 11, but besides a second freeze or 2 in the beginning of the game, it runs very good on my machine
  • Jinko_itx
    so all in all, a balanced machine is crucial, e.g. GTX 1070 with a i7 6700k   GTX 1080 Ti  with a i7 8700 RTX 2080 with a i7 9700k etc...
  • TFBisquit
    edited October 12
    My 2600k did pretty good with gtx1080, my 9900k is overkill and requires a faster GPU.
    This is ofcourse at 1440p, where the GPU is more taxed.
    You need the clockspeed though from CPU.
    My 2600k at default had some big fps drops, overclocked to 4,5Ghz was stable and saw few drops, which are minor in comparison.
    I can imagine the same goes for later gen cpus.
    Anyway, a gtx1070 would be better paired with that 2600k, yet the gtx1080 still did better on my system. I see some people with a 2080ti and an old Intel CPU, they do fine, plus when they upgrade that CPU, they already have a powerful GPU.
    So ofcourse a balanced system is crucial, but that isn't just CPU+GPU. It's everything combined plus stable overclocks at minimum extra heat.
    Therefore I suggest to people to get the fastest component they can afford, because eventually they upgrade the next part.
    It has to be sensible though. No sense in overpaying for 2 fps extra.
  • duendemago
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

His CPU is ABOVE the recommended settings. So no! It is not HIS RIG, it is the BAD OPTIMIZED GAME. Stop defending a bad optimized game.
  • OskooI_007
    786 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 18
    I just noticed there's 5 separate system requirements for BFV. Including a new system requirement for competitive play.

RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR DXR
    Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 7 2700
    Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 8700
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080
    DirectX: DirectX Raytracing Compatible video card
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Available Disk Space: 50GB

RECOMMENDED COMPETITIVE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 7 2700 or equivalent
    Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 8700 or equivalent
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Available Disk Space: 50GB

https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-5/buy/pc-system-requirements

DX12 has always had frametime spikes in Battlefield 1 and V. That's why I run DX11.
  • serpico074
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    System specs:

‘RTX 2080
    16GB 3200mhz RAM. 

DX 12 causes a lot of stuttering on my system. Turning future frame rendering on or off doesn’t fix the low fps. Switching to dx11 solves the issue and gives me 15 more fps in the same spot and very less stutters. DX 12 should be fixed so I can atleats try out RTX features. 
    try this, it solved me.

Possible Solution For DX12 Stutter In Individual Games->EG:Metro Exodus/BF5

1.Search and Open Exploit Protection
    2.Click On the Program Settings Tab
    3.Click On The + Add Programs To Customise
    4.Click On Choose Exact File Path
    5.Find Game Which You would Like To Try To Remove DX12 Stutter Click Open
    6.Programs Settings For Game Opened ,Scroll Down To Control Flow Guard(Never Use For Global Setting)
    7.Put Check Mark In Override System Settings And Turn From On To Off And Apply
    8.Restart May Be Needed

Thanks @gerardfraser guru3d.

• g0merpile
    575 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 18

This is not true, I have a 7700k with average of 180 fps, most of the time i'm 200fps except for times of loading events but never below 160.
    Edit: I do not rush for windows 10 update, the updates are not fully tested in all environments.