Muromets is out of control now.

HuwJarz
3947 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
It's good to be back after a few months in the barn.....Did I miss much? Forums look pretty dead. 

Anyway; tothe point: The muromets epidemic on BF1 is now out of control. The defacto standard now in conquest on maps such as empires edge (C&D), soissons (B C and D), Sinai (C, D, E)  etc is a constant stream of bombers slamming the key flags and making life on the ground an absolute misery.

Who actually enjoys this? It strikes me that the ONLY guy having fun is the guy in the bomber. I literally know noone the likes this.

Unlike other planes that need a small amount of skill to fly, the bomber  press x for success. 

'Oh', I hear you say, 'but why don't you grab some LMG's and take them out?'  Well the reason is that the scrub pilots have now learnt that if you fly high enough, you are basically immune to AA fire and or LMG fire as the LMG's cannot aim high enough. The other day, my squad spent an entire game with LMGs trying to take 2 guys out on a map and we managed to take out 4 r 5 in 20 mins. Our gameplay experience was frustrating as hell; Who wants to spend and entire game shooting in the air, and getting sniped constantly as your tracer fire gives away your postion? Jump on the AA, Nope, sniped off them in an instant.

I love planes in BF1. Happy to be wrecked by strafing fighters etc that earned the kill. But the bomber?  Like giving both teams a behemoth cannon for the noobs to pad their K/D's. It's a joke. The introduction of these bombers was the single worst gameplay feature introduced in the entire game lifecycle, and I include TTK2. 

Comments

• Ronin9572
    944 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Welcome back! Yeah the forums have been slow, even after they consolidated all the BF1 forums into one. Alot of the posts now are PC players upset about the cheating(don't blame em). Even with the smaller player base theres still plenty of heavy bomber/arty truck schlubs that think it's fun to troll and pad their k/d stats all game every game. Never understood why ppl do it every game they play, but that's me. Don't get me wrong I've recently been back to working on levels and medals but I make a few runs than in on to other things. When these scumbags keep pulling this nonsense I try the LMG/AA for a bit. But if that don't work I just move on. If they never addressed this issue before, unfortunately they definitely won't now.
  • HuwJarz
    3947 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah - won't get changed, but I would love to hear the consensus on this issue. I wouldn't mind if the splash damage wasn't so great....These guys are pulling out 10 kills at a time. It's total BS. 
  • Ronin9572
    HuwJarz wrote: »
    Yeah - won't get changed, but I would love to hear the consensus on this issue. I wouldn't mind if the splash damage wasn't so great....These guys are pulling out 10 kills at a time. It's total BS. 

I hear ya! I got 8 kills the last time I did a medal, and I suck at those bombers!
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Oh, you're talking about the giant flying coffin bomber?

All it takes is ONE novice fighter plane pilot to bring down. If that giant hitbox coffin stays in the sky for more than 5 minutes, it's very likely that either you or your team are ignoring its presence.

If you don't want to contribute to their K/D, then do something about it. I can understand peoples' frustration with an out of bounds mortar truck (that's cheap and BS) but we're talking about a giant hitbox in the sky the size of 3 fully grown African elephants moving at a sluggish pace slower than a regular bomber.

There is is no reason beyond inaction why this thing should be able to stay in the sky for more than a couple of minutes.
  • HuwJarz

All it takes is ONE novice fighter plane pilot to bring down. If that giant hitbox coffin stays in the sky for more than 5 minutes, it's very likely that either you or your team are ignoring its presence.

If you don't want to contribute to their K/D, then do something about it. I can understand peoples' frustration with an out of bounds mortar truck (that's cheap and BS) but we're talking about a giant hitbox in the sky the size of 3 fully grown African elephants moving at a sluggish pace slower than a regular bomber.

There is is no reason beyond inaction why this thing should be able to stay in the sky for more than a couple of minutes.
    I play in an infantry squad. We don't want to have to have a full time pilot in the squad who is not playing WITH us. There are not enough ground based solutions to the issue. Most pilots are too busy dive bombing infantry than worrying about the other planes in the sky.

I see many games now with Muroments guys going 60-80 kills and maybe 2-4 deaths. The fact that this happens on a VERY regular basis shows that the balance is not right. Perhaps more points shout due awarded to a oil taking down a bomber. It might help. 

On operations it's even worse.......

• AngryDAD_7503
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    they are easy to shoot down...... 

• ronybaloney
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Really haven't experienced the level of frustration that you have. These things are just so easy to shoot down. Just a little bit of attention to the sky and you can either; steer clear of these bad boys, or like, myself,  man AA guns and blast these lumbering sitting ducks out of the sky. I really don't care about K/D so I will simply respawn and get back on the gun (or repair it) and finish the job. I also love using the MG17 and filling that sucker full of lead. Nothing like bringing down a bomber with a machine gun. Good times.
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    HuwJarz said:

I play in an infantry squad. We don't want to have to have a full time pilot in the squad who is not playing WITH us. There are not enough ground based solutions to the issue. Most pilots are too busy dive bombing infantry than worrying about the other planes in the sky.

I see many games now with Muroments guys going 60-80 kills and maybe 2-4 deaths. The fact that this happens on a VERY regular basis shows that the balance is not right. Perhaps more points shout due awarded to a oil taking down a bomber. It might help. 

On operations it's even worse.......

The balance is not right only if you and/or your team do nothing to counter the issue which in this case, is the heavy bomber. 

If the Infantry guys aren't willing to take one for the team and man a fighter/attack plane/AA cannon and the pilots already in the sky aren't willing to dogfight other planes, it shouldn't be a surprise that heavy bomber K/D farmers are able to get absurd amounts of kills with minimal effort.

Rarely, if ever, do problems go away on their own. I mean you could pray to God that the pilot does something stupid and crashes the plane but that isn't reliable nor consistent so either the existing pilots on your team need to start countering enemy airplanes or infantry players need to take matters into their own hands somehow.

The third option and the least desirable is to continue to let the bomber K/D farm and get frustrated when they inevitably score massive kill streaks. 
  • MarxistDictator
    4977 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They are vulnerable but the bomber does best attacking a hugely congested point and will usually live to do exactly that even with heavy fire focused on it from AA/fighters.

And in operations they completely destroy the attackers since the last bases have the defenders air base directly over an objective...really no hope in saving your team from an Ilya that spawned full health and with all its bombs overhead.
  • PackersDK
    780 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 12
    I absolutely agree they are annoying AF, especially on Operations. And yes, they are easy to down, but they are also easy to get an absurde amount of kills with - and you can just respawn over and over in it. 

You spawn in. Fly over and objective, get 2-8 kills. Get shot down and respawn in one, or fly over again. Rinse and repeat.

Are there counters? Obviously, yes. Do I play BF1 Operations (best mode ever) to stand 24/7 behind AA? No. Not really. 

Playing defense on Fao Fortress is just watching an endless stream of Muromets planes trying to get those multi-kills.  
  • HuwJarz
    PackersDK said:
    I absolutely agree they are annoying AF, especially on Operations. And yes, they are easy to down, but they are also easy to get an absurde amount of kills with - and you can just respawn over and over in it. 

You spawn in. Fly over and objective, get 2-8 kills. Get shot down and respawn in one, or fly over again. Rinse and repeat.

Are there counters? Obviously, yes. Do I play BF1 Operations (best mode ever) to stand 24/7 behind AA? No. Not really. 

Playing defense on Fao Fortress is just watching an endless stream of Muromets planes trying to get those multi-kills.  
    That is the point I was trying to get across. You did it far more eloquentlly. Yes, they can be shot down, but the reward for doing so seems to be a virtually instant respawn for the pilot. Rinse and repeat. Who wants to spend their entire games shooting in the air with an LMG? 

Who in a squad want to the the guy that can't play WITH his mates because he is teh full time into muromets pilot? 

The upside for the pilot (loads of multi kills per death), toping teh bards on a regular basis, far outweighs the zero downside, so the mess continues. 

I love planes in BF1. I don't mind getting wrecked by a decent pilot with some skill, but that monomets is cheap, boring and really frustrating to play against. 
  • Forkbeard84
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hey good to see you back Huwjarz!

One counter to the heavy bomber is shooting them down with a heavy tank. Its usually a one hit kill. I love sitting in my tank taking pot shots at bombers with my tank cannon. I dont know why more tankers dont do it. Its pretty easy.

You sit near a contested objective and spot all the planes coming and going. Spot, spot, spot. Then when that slowezz bomber comes lumbering at the objective. Wait for it till the big bomber fills the sky in front of you and... Fire! Kaching, kaching as flyboys die. Rinse and repeat.
  • boutneus
    2475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It’s ez to shoot down.. lol this argument holds no water. Most people use it just to get to a contested flag press the bomb button and bail. An easy 8+ kill for minimum effort. Shooting it down from spawning to flag is almost impossible unless the spawn is camped by an enemy pilot
  • PackersDK
    780 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    boutneus said:
    It’s ez to shoot down.. lol this argument holds no water. Most people use it just to get to a contested flag press the bomb button and bail. An easy 8+ kill for minimum effort. Shooting it down from spawning to flag is almost impossible unless the spawn is camped by an enemy pilot
    What I mean by easy to shoot down is, when you’re a fighter or on AA the Muromets seldom get away. It’s not a vehicle that stays alive for more than a few flybys. If that. 

The issue with the Muromets is that can carpet-bomb an entire flag, get 2-8 kills and do it again and again. Either by respawning or, if lucky, another bombing run.
  • WetFishDB
    2090 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm with you Huw, I think it's a cheap addition to the game, designed purely so some of the less able players are able to get a few easy kills to make them feel good.  The reality is it does very little for the game. 

Sure, if you are on an AA then they are easy to take down, but on a busy map, when they are just heading for the contested flags the odds are you won't be alive on the AA for very long either.  And if they even get remotely close, they'll drop there load for some easy kills.  What frustrates me on Conquest is that the Heavy Bomber can often spawn, fly the length of the map, drop there load on the enemies first flag - before the AA even spawns in.  That's just plain BS IMHO.  Sure they might not survive the return run, but why would they care - they've just got 8 kills for 1 death, that's infinitely more than they could get as infantry.

The reality is, if your squad is the main one on your team capping and defending flags and trying to control the flow of a game of Conquest, you don't have the luxury to sit out and pepper a flying elephant. Doing so in that scenario means losing a load of flags, and the game.  So you have to ignore it and hope that one of the many other players does something about it (or jump on the odd AA when you can for an all too temporary reprieve).  If they don't, then a load of cheap deaths from someone who usually can't quite hack it as infantry.

And using LMG's is fine until they fly to the flight ceiling where only a few LMG's seem to reach, and it feels more like you are using a Nerf gun against them with the LMG and giving them a clear target to aim at.
  • disposalist
    8684 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It needs a very good pilot and a very good front gunner and a very good rear gunner to keep a heavy bomber alive and doing any significant damage.  On small maps it doesn't even matter - you can LMG them and they can't escape.

Yes, a good crew needs a good player to kill them, but it only needs one on AA (and with LMG) or one in a fighter to kill 3 or 4 in a heavy bomber.  Hardly seems to favour the bomber.

If you've seen a vid with a heavy bomber with a high KD then you've seen a match where the other team just didn't try to bring it down.
  • disposalist
    8684 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    WetFishDB said:
    And using LMG's is fine until they fly to the flight ceiling where only a few LMG's seem to reach, and it feels more like you are using a Nerf gun against them with the LMG and giving them a clear target to aim at.
    I use the M1917 Low Weight almost all the time with support.  It takes out heavy bombers with ease from huge ranges.  I've been called a cheater and other names using the M1917 at range.
  • Ronin9572
    (Quote)
    I use the M1917 Low Weight almost all the time with support.  It takes out heavy bombers with ease from huge ranges.  I've been called a cheater and other names using the M1917 at range.

Been there before! Any mode and map with planes I use the same gun. It really has quite the range. I've joined matches late seeing some heavy bomber pilot 100-0 shoot at them a few times or down them once and they rage quit and send me nasty messages, lol
  • MarxistDictator
    4977 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It needs a very good pilot and a very good front gunner and a very good rear gunner to keep a heavy bomber alive and doing any significant damage.  On small maps it doesn't even matter - you can LMG them and they can't escape.

Yes, a good crew needs a good player to kill them, but it only needs one on AA (and with LMG) or one in a fighter to kill 3 or 4 in a heavy bomber.  Hardly seems to favour the bomber.

If you've seen a vid with a heavy bomber with a high KD then you've seen a match where the other team just didn't try to bring it down.

It doesn't really matter how easy it is to take out since it can wipe out giant swathes of infantry even over cover since the explosions air burst. It just ruined the balance in operations since Defense is able to spawn them too for some stupid reason, allowing them to exploit the single spawn situation for the attackers and their lack of AA on most maps. The only real counter to avoid losing 15+ tickets whenever a heavy bomber appears is camping the enemy airbase with a bomber killer attack plane or fighter. It's like the Pigeon assault tank, suicide strategy with way too high a payoff. Only you have way more firepower in a short burst than the pigeon's arty strike (which is basically just an unmarked infiltrator strike).

Trying to stop someone from easily getting MVP and like 30-40 kills more than the 2nd highest person forces you to just wait on their bombers since they only need to play for like 1 minute of actual game time to pull that off. It's awful.
  • Trokey66
    8604 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member