Weekly Debrief

Whatever happened to Firestorm?

CT1924
112 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgWE4Sar0Js
Levelcap had a video that detailed how fixing up Firestorm could help add to the playerbase of the core mode. Why not fix it up, make the battle royale free to play, and draw in players like so? CoD is doing the same.

Comments

• BeastofBourbon84
    317 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'd rather they don't waste any more dev resources on firestorm.
    It was a huge waste of time in my eyes.
    Make it ftp for all I care but I doubt ppl that like firestorm will have a good time seeing how inefficient anticheat seams to be :|
  • ChickenTheTank
    445 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why? Inexperienced and understaffed live service team is my best guess.

Hopefully issues like this won't be as impactful to the next live service platform DICE makes.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5653 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Firestorm is dead. Let it rest. Not many people have been interested in it. I rather see Dice focusing on proper battlefield instead of wasting more resources on Firestorm.
  • ChickenTheTank
    Firestorm is dead. Let it rest. Not many people have been interested in it. I rather see Dice focusing on proper battlefield instead of wasting more resources on Firestorm.

A separate studio (Criterion) did almost all of the work to stand up firestorm. DICE likely didn't have to contribute many resources besides a couple consultants and regular touch- in meetings so each team could discuss issues together.

People peddling this theory that Firestorm drained resources from the primary game development are under-informed, and just trying to point a finger.

Everyone trashing firestorm pretty much did nothing but hurt the player base for the primary game that could have been brought in through the BR experience. As someone who has played BF since the original launched on PC, and who also enjoys BRs, I find this annoying because firestorm IMO is the best BR experience on console. Before it became impossible to play a full game at least.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5653 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

A separate studio (Criterion) did almost all of the work to stand up firestorm. DICE likely didn't have to contribute many resources besides a couple consultants and regular touch- in meetings so each team could discuss issues together.

People peddling this theory that Firestorm drained resources from the primary game development are under-informed, and just trying to point a finger.

Everyone trashing firestorm pretty much did nothing but hurt the player base for the primary game that could have been brought in through the BR experience. As someone who has played BF since the original launched on PC, and who also enjoys BRs, I find this annoying because firestorm IMO is the best BR experience on console. Before it became impossible to play a full game at least.
    Criterion just developed Firestorm and that's it. Right now all possible development will be done by Dice. And like I said they should focus on core experience instea dof working on dead mode.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13292 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Moved to the firestorm section.
  • CT1924
    Thanks! Sorry about that.
  • CT1924
    Firestorm was a good mode, and could have brought more players into the base game as a f2p game if it had better looting and anticheat.
  • ChickenTheTank
    (Quote)
    Criterion just developed Firestorm and that's it. Right now all possible development will be done by Dice. And like I said they should focus on core experience instea dof working on dead mode.

Yea, that's exactly what I said. Criterion stood firestorm up. It did not detract from the development of the game up to launch.

I will give you the issues are still DICE's fault. They launched a live service and obviously did not have the staff in place to pick up maintenance and updates of Firestorm, as well as the base game starting day 1. Even more troubling is the launch of a live service model with a very strict update release schedule, without any ability to hot fix issues.

Launching a live service game without a hotfix team, plan, and process in place is market suicide against today's competition.
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm glad levelcap is talking about Firestorm at least. I just want some sort of answer from DICE - let us know whether to expect anything in the future or simply face that firestorm is never going to change.
  • jroggs
    571 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DICE's stated position is "We're not working on Firestorm and have shelved any significant attempts to fix or improve the game." They're not just letting it die, they're encouraging it.
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:
    DICE's stated position is "We're not working on Firestorm and have shelved any significant attempts to fix or improve the game." They're not just letting it die, they're encouraging it.
    As YouTube would say "Firestorm didn't just die IT WAS MURDERED" 
  • mesterKG
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:
    Where was this position stated?
  • dandop_oq7r7ppf
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The fact Dice said “we are putting firestorm updates on hold to focus on the Core game”
    Really just confirms Firestorm should of been a separate F2P battle royal from the start.

Firestorm was sold as a part of BFV, and now they are turning their back on it.
    Just like Domination, Frontlines.
    This is a bad trend.

Doesn’t matter if you personally don’t like Firestorm. You have to admit this trend of Dice ditching modes. Modes that people potentially bought the game for to begin with, is very very misleading, and wrong.

My hope is they are re-evaluating what Firestorm is?
    If they don’t consider Firestorm a part of the core experience, than simply remove it, and make it F2P
  • CT1924
    Firestorm could have attracted more players as a F2P.
  • ChickenTheTank
    mesterKG wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Where was this position stated?

There was a letter to the community from a real high up producer at DICE about a month ago now where this was stated. What's super annoying is the info was never put here, and I only ever saw it from links to reddit.
  • Mr_Tinman08
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I paid full retail price for the game and I wouldn't have any problem if they made it free to play at this stage. This might mean you don't have to sit in the lobby for five minutes trying to find a game and they might bring duo's back.
  • ChickenTheTank
    I paid full retail price for the game and I wouldn't have any problem if they made it free to play at this stage. This might mean you don't have to sit in the lobby for five minutes trying to find a game and they might bring duo's back.

I want duos back so badly :(
  • rock1obsta
    3811 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Hopefully issues like this won't be as impactful to the next live service platform DICE makes.

Hopefully they learned that this live service is a failure, and they bring back premium. This entire concept has fallen on its face.
  • ChickenTheTank
    rock1obsta wrote: »

Hopefully they learned that this live service is a failure, and they bring back premium. This entire concept has fallen on its face.

I dunno, I imagine they've brought in as much or more cash with their current model than with premium. And at the end I'd the day, it comes down to the almighty dollar.

Halo 5 operated essentially as a live service for a good 2 years after launch. Some may even argue longer, and it was great.

When live service id done well you get a steady, varied, regular stream of new content and bug fixes. And it's mostly free for those who don't want to pay, or are willing top wait for paid items to eventually release as free. Hopefully DICE's experience their gaining here can let them move more towards providing a successful live service than where we've been for a while.