imagine playing a FPS game and you can't hear footstep and gunfire sound

5bulletsSLR
75 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
yeah, thats it, it has been nearly a year, and DICE can't even fix bfv's trash sound design. GJ

Comments

• DrunkOnRedWine
    1686 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    I think the sound (fx and music) in this game are brilliant, kudos to the sound team. The directional sound and audio clues are completely broken however - blame the devs not the audio team. 
  • CSO7777
    1542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think the sound (fx and music) in this game are brilliant, kudos to the sound team. The directional sound and audio clues are completely broken however - blame the devs not the audio team. 
    I really love when you hear music (near the end of the round), but footsteps, vehicles etc are totally silent.

Like you said, the sound-quality is fine, but missing sound of footsteps, vehicles, V2-rockets, explosions, gunfire etc etc is really one of the biggest annoyances for me.

And it is a bug. If you are inside the church on Devastation, you can clearly hear footsteps from enemies flanking on the outside of the church, but in many other situations you cannot hear footsteps at all or they sound like people are very far away from you.

Dynamite is also a good example of sound problems, place dynamite on a building and run away from the building (with the back to the explosion), often the sound of the explosion is not heard at all (Narvik is really bad in this regard).
  • viper63x
    333 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield V Member
    audio team are also devs
  • Matty101yttam
    1332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can usually hear footsteps and gunfire fine, it's the tanks, bombers and arty rockets that come in with stealth mode that baffle me.

Had a tank drive over me and a bomber crash land just about on me and didn't hear a 'peep' from either of them, i got a feeling all the extra noise background map noises means there's less sound channels available for the actual game or something.
    BF4 jets you could hear over the entire map, planes in BFV you need to actually look for them because there is 0 sound.
  • MrCamp121
    882 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ive been getting killed by sprinters that make no sound lately. I hear a guy on my left but the guy on the right makes no sound vaulting and holding W lol
  • CosmicStriker
    748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    works for me, use headphones.
  • VincentNZ
    3874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is pretty awful and that is enforced because it is inconsistent. I do not know if there are material modifiers at play, or if there are priorities in sounds playing, or if they simply often do not play for a reason.
    Yesterday I walk on the bridge of Rotterdam and I hear footsteps of people below. That is 20m distance with a solid sound barrier and I hear them as if they are next to me. I am aiming out of a window and a guy sprints outside 10m away, I can not hear him, if he enters my campspot though it is like an echo chamber although he is further away than before and there are three walls between us.
    And don't get me started on positional audio, which in this game only means, that if you hear something on the right you have a 180° angle to cover on that side. This is further emphasized as visual cues also do not work as reliable as before. The minimap is crap, the visibility is, too. So you hear something from that 180° angle and have to check a dozen spots to identify the source. Now audio was not flawless in previous games, but it synergized well with the other means of target identification, like 2D-3D spotting, the minimap, visibility etc..
    And that is totally on the sound department, too. A sector artillery 100m away sounds just like footsteps, enemy vehicles are obviously very ecological, as they turn their engine off when stationary, friendly vehicles always put the pedal to the metal though as you can hear them on the bridge on Twisted Steel, while you are about to enter D capture zone. Everybody turns their volume up to hear footsteps and is greated by deafening explosion sounds hurting our ears. At the same time being at low health also deafens you, muffling every sound. Also getting hit overrides everything, it is just a constant PFFF-PFFF, making it totally impossible to locate the threat by noise.
    But man, I am glad that they gave us the video of them recording the selector switch sound of the MP34, so that is at least 100% accurate. I've said it a thousand times before: This game is a sensory nightmare.
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1686 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    I do and doesn't work for me! 

Btw, love your avatar image, one of my favourites films
  • DingoKillr
    3920 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I can and did, BF2 and BF2142.
  • CSO7777
    1542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I use headphones as well.

I have tried all settings possible in-game, stereo, 4 different 3D-sound systems (Dobly Atmos is great btw), different bit-depths/sample-rates, using internal soundcards and an external DAC. No matter what, sound effects are missing. The most annoying are footsteps and vehicles, but i've even experienced the sound from building fortifications to be missing.

Either the sound system is bugged (my guess) or Dice has made some really bad decisions regarding sound design.
  • wiazabi
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    BF 1 release headphones sound is amazing, you can hear what is going on around you and enemies trying to flank you while sprinting is something you can adapt to as you can hear the noise they make.

BF V headphones sound is amazing, you might get to hear the sounds of what is going on around you but most likely not and enemies spriting around to flank you will most of the times not make any sound whatsoever, but the rare times it do work i get to be called wallhacker.

I really wish DICE would put some priority into Soundsystem, netcode, performance as these things should be up to a high standard when it comes to fps games and how broken the soundsystem has become from bf 1 is not ok and makes me wonder how DICE tested this and actually found it to work fine.
  • mf_shro0m
    2254 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeh sometimes I can’t hear my own gunshots either
  • HUMANFRAIL7Y
    743 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And with visibility STILL as poor as it is, we're BOTH deaf and blind. What a game.
  • NuttysKunKs
    427 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trying having a kid...

You’ll get use to no sound at all.