Weekly Debrief

This was my first experience playing The Pacific content on a west coast server.

Kranden
104 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/dptz6h/this_was_my_first_experience_playing_the_pacific/

I realize this was 3 Am PST. But my first takeaway from this additional content is that the current matchmaking system is totally broken. My friends asked why these high pingers were on a west coast server, many of them replied that they had just hit the matchmaking button on the title screen.

Matchmaking needs to put players into servers on their region. A server full of  high 200+ ping players breaks the game. 

Comments

• Carbonic
    1478 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I believe the matchmaking system might have had some wonkiness when the content first rolled out but I also think it might be fixed now.
    I was planted on a South African server while living in Europe when the content was released and quickly reported the issue.
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The quickmatch button regularly puts me on OOR servers. I've been sent to EU servers before (250-300ms ping from Japan).

QM just put me on a USWC server actually. 130ms is pretty playable (for me at least) so I played a round before quitting.
  • Fish7O2
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Early AM, say 5 am to 9 am Pacific time, US West servers are regularly full of people from the Asia and Oceanic regions. That is like 8pm to Midnight their time, varies by their location, They say they would rather play with high ping, than deal with the other issue. Unfortunately it ruins it for those of us living on the West coast, that play early mornings. I am at the point now I only play on East coast servers. 
  • TFBisquit
    1714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sure, nothing fixed, matchmaking puts me in us servers while I'm in europe. At the busy time of day I might add.

• VonReisler
    558 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    why is there even match making and quick match in this game? Can't people just learn to use the server browser? Is this gaming for dummies or something?

• TFBisquit
    1714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Because we press tow event? That shows a big play button? We press it for the tow?
    After that we go multiplayer and select mode, then server list? Most will know how it works but from watching the tow tree its very easy to quick connect and get into matchmaking.
  • Kranden
    104 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    why is there even match making and quick match in this game? Can't people just learn to use the server browser? Is this gaming for dummies or something?

In a perfect world nobody would use matchmaking, but lets be real here. A fairly significant portion of the player base uses this feature, especially when its right on the title screen and it takes you into a game to complete the Tides of War event. Good matchmaking is important for this game, and I hope DICE sees this thread and fixes it for a more enjoyable battlefield experience for their player base. 

I don't want to see hard limits on player ping, sometimes players want to play with friends overseas. But matchmaking needs to be regionally based for a better battlefield experience. 
  • CSO7777
    1301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Kranden said:

In a perfect world nobody would use matchmaking, but lets be real here. A fairly significant portion of the player base uses this feature, especially when its right on the title screen and it takes you into a game to complete the Tides of War event. Good matchmaking is important for this game, and I hope DICE sees this thread and fixes it for a more enjoyable battlefield experience for their player base. 

I don't want to see hard limits on player ping, sometimes players want to play with friends overseas. But matchmaking needs to be regionally based for a better battlefield experience. 
    I would say that in a perfect world, matchmaking would not put people in OOR-servers. This can perhaps make people wait a little longer or put them in rounds that have already (just) started, but Dice can still improve on the existing system and make it work much better.
  • trip1ex
    4882 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 7

lol pretty much.  If I'm being nice I would say it's the console effect.  Using a browser on a pc is one thing, not as fun on a tv screen from 10' away with a controller perhaps.  

Now I cna't even find the browser in the game.  They hide it to make the people that knew how use a browser feel like dummies for not being able to find it any more.  ;)
  • CrashCA
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Don't use matchmaking, try server browser.
  • Kranden
    CrashCA said:
    Don't use matchmaking, try server browser.
    For the record, we used the server browser to join a west coast server on launch day that was full of players from Asia using matchmaking feature to join the server we were on. Telling players not to use matchmaking does NOT solve this issue. 
  • ZeuZx
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 12
    The issue isn't the players that hit the button that just want to play. The issue is that the server browser, and server management/match making is absolute trash. In no way shape of form should players from different continents be paired up on one server.
    Thats just telling us that they went the cheap and easy route with them putting everyone in one giant pool of players and putting them in the first available server regardless of region. I'm just praying to the gods that the RSP is going to allow us to modify the regional connections so the server we run isn't overrun with a bunch of laggy 150ms pingers. Just let us check in that little box that says DISALLOW +100ms and its all good.
  • CosmicStriker
    735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    agreed it would be nice if the game just ran its own automatic latency test then defaulted to the best region for that user, then the quick joiners would stay in their own areas.
  • Kranden
    Was playing squad conquest today, saw a EURO player confused as to his 200 ping. He asked if he was in a EURO server. I asked him if he hit the quick play button, and he confirmed he did the tides of war quick play. This issue has not been addressed or fixed yet, all I ask is that DICE at least recognizes this matchmaking issue. 
  • ZeuZx
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Kranden said:
    Was playing squad conquest today, saw a EURO player confused as to his 200 ping. He asked if he was in a EURO server. I asked him if he hit the quick play button, and he confirmed he did the tides of war quick play. This issue has not been addressed or fixed yet, all I ask is that DICE at least recognizes this matchmaking issue. 
    It's not an issue, or a bug, it is completely intended mechanic. That's how they designed it so they didn't have to do anything with separating pings, and matching people to a region for their said pings. So people just hit the play button, they go into one giant pool of players, and they throw them into whatever server is open regardless of location.
    I get it from a business standpoint, spend less on development. From a player standpoint its absolutely dog doo doo. I don't want to play against a server full of  150+ pingers on a west coast server where I ping 20.