Heat distortion on Al Sundan

Daytonaflyer
93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited November 25
What's up with the horrible heat wave distortion while flying airplanes on Al Sundan? They're everywhere. I'm an airline pilot, captain on an Airbus A320. I've been flying airplanes for 22 years and not once have I been able to see heat distortion waves while flying. This seems like a huge error by DICE. In real life you can only see heat distortion from very low altitudes when it's very hot outside, where the ground is the warmest.
In Battlefield V it seems they have it completely backward because you can't see the heat distortion very well while on the ground, but in flight they're everywhere. It really ruins the map.

Comments

• snavelaer
    1140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It is simply there to nerf planes. 
  • CSO7777
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 25
    snavelaer said:
    Or because of 'cinematic effects', just like 'lens flare' and the other 'camera-imperfection'-options. They like to showcase what the Frostbite engine can do visually (they probably spent too much time doing it).

The game has unfortunately prioritized visuals over game-play. Dice has always had this problem (blue-tint in BF3...).
  • jroggs
    703 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 said:
    snavelaer said:
    Or because of 'cinematic effects', just like 'lens flare' and the other 'camera-imperfection'-options. They like to showcase what the Frostbite engine can do visually (they probably spent too much time doing it).

The game has unfortunately prioritized visuals over game-play. Dice has always had this problem (blue-tint in BF3...).
    Possibly a combination of both.

There isn't much overhead concealment on the ground, so ground players would have a miserable time getting splattered by aircraft if the visibility was clear. It's still too much in my opinion.

DICE's attempts to make the game look amazing for trailers and such has really dealt a nasty blow to general visibility, from unrealistic shadows and glare to all kinds of snow and sand and debris floating around everywhere, to ambient effects like that heat distortion. And it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the netcode issues were also springing from this. It actually worries me for the next Battlefield, because that will be on more powerful console hardware as well as upgraded PCs, and DICE will likely try to go all out to show off dynamic lighting and more detailed destruction and a bunch of other bells-and-whistles crap that probably end up improperly optimized, dragging down the enduring experience of the game and massively slowing down follow-on content creation.

I hope they're not just using this extra year to hone BF2021's launch but are also working on a better and more flexible version of Frostbite to facilitate smoother and easier-to-develop content that won't creak and groan under its own weight.
  • Daytonaflyer
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 26
    I'm so sick and tired of DICE trying to control how everybody plays these games. They're always introducing some sort of handicap for everything except players who run and gun. If all I wanted to do is run around on the ground with a machine gun spamming the fire button, I'd be playing Call of Duty. Airplanes have never been a problem in this game except for a few of the best players you'll see on YouTube. I can't remember the last time I saw a pilot get over 30 kills on BFV; it's very rare.

A bunch of people I know have been so disappointed with every single Battlefield game in the past 8 years that we've vowed not to buy another one unless it's Bad Company 3. I don't play many other games so I have no reason to buy a PS5 if Bad Company 3 doesn't come out next.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13466 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    What's up with the horrible heat wave distortion while flying airplanes on Al Sundan? They're everywhere. I'm an airline pilot, captain on an Airbus A320. I've been flying airplanes for 22 years and not once have I been able to see heat distortion waves while flying. This seems like a huge error by DICE. In real life you can only see heat distortion from very low altitudes when it's very hot outside, where the ground is the warmest.
    In Battlefield V it seems they have it completely backward because you can't see the heat distortion very well while on the ground, but in flight they're everywhere. It really ruins the map.
    This is not real life,  Also..  There is a reason you're seeing heat distortion waves.

As you climb to higher altitudes,  The oxygen in the atmosphere gets thinner,  right?

And as a consequence of that,  It gets colder..

The heat of the engines in the WW2 planes comes out of the exhaust pipes on the front-sides of the nose..    So with the combination of the surrounding air getting colder and the high heat of the engine exhausts,  You'll see...  heat haze effect.

Also,  To be fair,  You say you fly airplanes for 22 years?

You could not be able to see the heat distortion from your position in the plane  ( unless somehow you have a special plane where the cockpit sits directly behind the fuselage ) 

I mean..  An Airbus A320..  It is HUGE and the engines are NOWHERE near you to even see the heat trail.

So I do respectfully disagree with your point here regarding heat haze,  I'm pretty sure you can tone that effect down anyway by lowering post processing in the graphics options to low.
  • TheGM86
    812 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It is crap and anybody defending it is probably bad at the game.
  • jroggs
    703 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TheGM86 said:
    Sure. Go ahead and get rid of the heat distortion so pilots have perfect visibility. And then give every class access to the Fliegerfaust. That's fair, unless you're bad at the game.
  • Hawxxeye
    6362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:
    TheGM86 said:
    Sure. Go ahead and get rid of the heat distortion so pilots have perfect visibility. And then give every class access to the Fliegerfaust. That's fair, unless you're bad at the game.
    I really dislike the indirect half baked attempts to water down peoples experience. It ends up frustrating more people than not.
    Visibility limitations just make things less enjoyable for everyone who is not trying their absolute best to stay hidden.
    A BFV where both the ground is stronger against the planes and the planes are better against the ground would had been a lot more fun to me. A constant contest of kills and deaths.
    The larger bombers can already blindly carpet bomb objectives anyway so the haze is just disincentivizing them from getting lower for a closer look and mayhaps a risk of a fliegerfaust death
  • TheBaitOne
    136 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The super exaggerated heat haze can be found on all desert maps, not just Al Sundan, and jesus christ is it obnoxious. It's so bad that I'd argue it's harder to spot vehicles and infantry on those maps than any other maps in the game the levels of distortion are so absurd. 

It's like flying through water and no moves have been made to remedy this since release. 
  • hkspm123
    216 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    i think its ok , its not like impossible to see BECAUSE BOMBER GET ME EVERY TIME
  • Hawxxeye
    6362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    hkspm123 said:
    i think its ok , its not like impossible to see BECAUSE BOMBER GET ME EVERY TIME
    Because the bomber does not need to see you to kill you if you are in a place where they expect to there to be people to kill, such as a contested objective.

• Zodhr
    23 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hamada by design has better visibility from planes and less cover for infantry, but heat waves were removed in Hamada (I think silently), hopefully they will be removed in Al Sundan as well, because right now this is the only map I have to crank up brightness to 100% and still can't see sht in shadows not to mention these annoying heat waves. 
  • Daytonaflyer
    The heat distortion is still in Hamada, but it isn't nearly as bad as Al Sundan. Hamada is one of my favorite maps to fly in, even with the mild heat distortion. Al Sundan is my least favorite map to fly in because of the heat distortion.
  • Daytonaflyer
    edited December 5
    (Quote)
    This is not real life,  Also..  There is a reason you're seeing heat distortion waves.

As you climb to higher altitudes,  The oxygen in the atmosphere gets thinner,  right?

And as a consequence of that,  It gets colder..

The heat of the engines in the WW2 planes comes out of the exhaust pipes on the front-sides of the nose..    So with the combination of the surrounding air getting colder and the high heat of the engine exhausts,  You'll see...  heat haze effect.

Also,  To be fair,  You say you fly airplanes for 22 years?

You could not be able to see the heat distortion from your position in the plane  ( unless somehow you have a special plane where the cockpit sits directly behind the fuselage ) 

I mean..  An Airbus A320..  It is HUGE and the engines are NOWHERE near you to even see the heat trail.

So I do respectfully disagree with your point here regarding heat haze,  I'm pretty sure you can tone that effect down anyway by lowering post processing in the graphics options to low.

Sorry, but other than "not real life", almost every single thing you said was wrong. First, you don't start out flying jets as a pilot. Unless you're in the military, it takes years of training and flying smaller piston driven airplanes before you get into your first turbine powered airplane and after that, it takes quite a few more years flying and building experience in smaller Jets or turboprops until you get to pilot something larger like an Airbus A320. So claiming that I don't understand exhaust from piston-driven airplanes because I currently fly an Airbus A320 makes no sense at all.
    I've flown over a dozen different types of piston driven airplanes and about half a dozen turbine powered airplanes and I've never seen heat distortion while flying except for very close to the ground. Even if the exhaust vented directly in front of the windscreen (which it doesn't), you probably wouldn't see distortion because the airplane is moving so fast through the air that the heat would be invisible to the human eye.
    Second, temperature doesn't decrease with increased altitude because the oxygen is thinner. It decreases because the pressure lowers the higher up you go. Molecular heat absorption in the atmosphere contributes very little to the temperature at different altitudes. You really shouldn't comment on things you have no knowledge about.