Firestorm shows DICE at their most dishonest. [long post, lots of evidence]

TheFieryHotSauce
49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited December 2019
Since Firestorm’s release DICE’s handling of it has been...lackluster to say the least, with DICE’s communication being a mixture of mostly silent or completely misleading. 

But were you aware of just how misleading DICE actually were, and why Firestorm fans are understandably frustrated? 

Post-release

EA Play

•  EA Play comes and goes, Firestorm isn't mentioned in the actual live show in any capacity, but after the show, the Dome is announced. Most fans are sufficiently let down but still hold out hope that more is to come - sadly, nothing ever does. 

Chapter 4 and the murder of Firestorm

•  Chapter 4 introduces a game-breaking bug with looting which remains **in-game for A MONTH**. Most of the Firestorm community agree that this moment is the point where Firestorm really started to die, and the player base never recovered. 

**This cancellation of anticipated features is the last time DICE have spoken about Firestorm in an official capacity.**

Thank you for reading, I know Firestorm isn't loved by everyone but I believe we can all agree we need to hold DICE to a higher standard than simply letting them cut off key selling points of their games without giving us an official explanation or apology. 

Their approach to Firestorm has been cowardly, we have been given no statements on the future of the mode (whether that's good or bad), they have never given any reasoning as to why it can't simply be F2P, or why we can't have more regular free periods. Most will agree they're simply letting it fade into obscurity, but I don't think DICE should be able to just get away with that without criticism from the community.

Post edited by TheFieryHotSauce on

Comments

• LedHead_NZ
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ^^^ This
  • dandop_oq7r7ppf
    290 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree 100%

Firestorm was poorly handled right from the beginning of it's conception.
    Whenever those EA suites got together and wanted to cash in on BR craze, they completely missed the point.
    It should of never been a paid BR.
    BR only works well with a large playerbase, not only was Firestorm hidden behind a large paywall, but it also has to compete with other modes within the same game!

Heck it's even hard finding a decent server of Breakthrough when Dice does a new weekly playlist.
  • ChickenTheTank
    814 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DICE should have paid whatever they needed to in order top keep Criterion rolling on firestorm. If the loot drop mechanics at launch hasn't upset a couple of three big streamers, firestorm would have been a real competitor to pubg. It's got the best mechanics, gun play, and game variety of any of them imo.
  • tempo_rarity
    1209 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes , the truly majestic Cruise Liner BFV sailed long before she was properly and entirely outfitted , but ...
    She sailed with a very hefty complement of trades-persons who are skilled at finishing ships already at sail .
    She couldn't sink but with an alarming list they went straight to work on the major minor stuff first to correct that .

The noisy and dirty work was mostly ignored over the joys of exploring the crafts many gorgeous Mode Rooms .
    High on the list of must-visit Rooms while on this cruise was of course the wildly-immersive Firestorm Adventure Room .
    Some even say that within its walls lives the best  'BR Of All BR's' (I myself am acronymically-challenged , but it sounds real good)

Now , they've finally opened the stately Pacific Room , and soon we'll all be dancing in the grand Wake Ballroom .
    But here's the best part :  We're STILL at sea - them trades-folk ain't going nowhere except well . . back to work .
    Yeah , they're adding rocks and stuff now , to Rooms needing rocks and stuff but , here's the point : 

She sailed , telling us Passengers that we'd get this-or-that , and now for the most part , lately that's what we're getting .
    Sure , some of it has been slow in coming , and perhaps some of it won't come at all , but again ; we're still at sea .
    They are still on board . . . and they're skilled .

So I say : Enjoy the abundant amenities that are already available .
    The cherry-on-top is the knowing that there's even more coming .
    And who knows - maybe some of these cherry-bit extras might even hit Firestorm . 
  • LedHead_NZ
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Don't change tempo 😁
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DICE should have paid whatever they needed to in order top keep Criterion rolling on firestorm. If the loot drop mechanics at launch hasn't upset a couple of three big streamers, firestorm would have been a real competitor to pubg. It's got the best mechanics, gun play, and game variety of any of them imo.
    I feel that the decision is more down to EA. I expect they're trying to min/max the profits on Battlefield V hence the rather lackluster support of Firestorm. The playerbase for Battlefield V is already one of the smallest of all the Battlefield titles, so the Firestorm playerbase is even smaller than that - they are simply putting their money and support where they see the most customers.

Firestorm could easily be more successful but they aren't willing to risk it. DICE are clearly not able to run with full autonomy, hence the stupid TTK change that's gone through. 

I'm just sick of DICE avoiding talking about Firestorm and refusing to acknowledge the misleading comments they've made in the past. 
  • LEXXZAN
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    fact!
  • Nontouchable
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    aw damn I just wanted to try out firestorm mode :disappointed:
  • ChickenTheTank
    edited December 2019
    aw damn I just wanted to try out firestorm mode :disappointed:

I've been getting pretty full or nearly full games a lot recently. The performance isn't actually that bad, and if you haven't played it much you'll have a ton of fun for a while.

Those of us who have been playing it since it launched have only gotten 2 good map updates though. They added the blue forest, a second dig site, and the towers. Then the dome replaced the dig site.

I hope support comes back to firestorm this year.
  • h1nduku5h_x
    14 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dice, if you dont keep caring about firestorm/battleroyal, then you must shutdown your gamestudio soon.
  • tempo_rarity
    1209 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    How bizarre .
    I'ts never occurred to me until just now that the best chances I have of finding that gigantic 'nuke-shootin' Tank again is to go back to THAT Vault . 
    I've been hitting all the other Vaults in search of it  :p

It's been so long though that I'm beginning to wonder if it got 're-deployed' elsewhere .
    Was my one single ride in it a rare treat?
    I got blown up in it  :D  
  • ChickenTheTank
    How bizarre .
    I'ts never occurred to me until just now that the best chances I have of finding that gigantic 'nuke-shootin' Tank again is to go back to THAT Vault . 
    I've been hitting all the other Vaults in search of it  :p

It's been so long though that I'm beginning to wonder if it got 're-deployed' elsewhere .
    Was my one single ride in it a rare treat?
    I got blown up in it  :D  

Are you talking about the sturmtiger? I think it's in the bottom of the Dig Site (the one that's still there)
  • tempo_rarity
    I've only ever found a normal Tank down in that scary hole , twice .
    No I think this vault I have in mind is out near the southeast coast .
    I think it was the one that's near one of those new Towers .