Rise of Skywalker is.... something

Tactical_wizzzeR
334 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
good? bad? I don't even know... it has the energy of The Force Awakens, but it's very sloppy. it's daring like The Last Jedi, but it doesn't subvert or has any substance behind it's choices.

it's a mess, a fun mess... a frustrating mess, and it's a lot to take in.... some of it feels unearned, some of it feels like a betrayal of previous movies, especially The Last Jedi and it's themes, but some of it feels like vidication of fandom for the sake of vindication in the eyes of the fandom. 
it tried to please everyone and ends up... well, your mileage may vary and I can so... SOOO exahusted... 

Comments

• tempo_rarity
    1247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (no spoilers , I like that)

. . 'Poor Villain' . .
    I'd watched 'Justice League' recently and its premise got compared to 'Infinity War''s , which lead to discovering the woeful disparity between their villains . 
    This lead me to a rather surprising insight about 'The Last Jedi' which I'd also re-watched recently .
    Kylo Ren was one  -  he was a 'poor villain' -  he would be unable to 'carry' the next installment .
    Literally that same day that I realized this shocker I later read an article about the cast of  'Rise . .' which then compelled me to finally watch the trailer .
     :o 
  • Noodlesocks
    3442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The Force Awakens set up the basis of  a three act story that the second movie was expected to follow on from. The Last Jedi was a singular story that was more interested in wrapping up its own narrative up than being the second act of a bigger story. It went nowhere, answered nothing and told no story. Rise of Skywalker felt like a desperate attempt to salvage the mess that Rian Johnson made with his stand alone attempt at a second act. The whole sequel trilogy was literally made up as they went along and it shows so very painfully.

I don't blame JJ Abrams or feel too much malice towards Rise of Skywalker because they were left picking up the scraps from Rian Johnson's ruination of the franchise.

• tempo_rarity
    1247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Let's Play A Game! : 

There are really freaky similarities between the details surrounding 'Rise..' and those that surround BFV .
    Let's find some : 

Both were seemingly rushed into creation and poorly assembled , both are full of non-working things and other stuff that just doesn't belong .
    Both are dubiously being called their franchises worst offerings . . . and , umm . . both were apparently influenced by Reddit . . .

Not all negativity though .  
    Both were built to be enjoyed by as many as possible , they're extremely pleasant to look at , and if you can suspend belief they're both actually quite fun to engage in .

There's way more similarities too  :p 
  • tempo_rarity
    (SPOILER ALERT)
    David Chase whacked 11 million viewers with his brilliant 'The Soprano's' finale , because . . we deserved it .
    . . .
    whoops wrong spoiler

seriously , if you haven't seen 'Rise..' yet 
    don't read further

don't

read

below

By the end of 'Rise Of Skywalker' :
    There are two potentially very powerful Jedi , one possible future Jedi Master , and one Sith still around .
    Ezra Bridger is in his fifties
    Ahsoka Tano is in her sixties
    'The Child' is in its seventies
    . . and the lying fraudulent thief is in her twenties . 
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I thought that Rise of Skywalker was very good, but I'm getting a bit tired of Rey. Daisy Ridley's overacting has started to get on my nerves, with all that constant grimacing. Adam Driver (aka Kylo Ren, the millennial Darth Vader) on the other hand is really good. It made me think of how all those baddies and villains, from superhero and Star Wars films of the past 40 odd years, were actually far more interesting. Their enemies are perhaps the real baddies. All those goody-goodies deserve annihilation, on some level at least. Perhaps that's why Joker was such a good film. Because Joker showed how people often actually don't get justice, and how that could even drive a person mad. But they still deserve justice, even though they now appear grotesque to those goody-goodies. So I hope the Empire strikes back.
  • Vespervin
    1361 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The Force Awakens was a decent movie, regardless of my many criticisms of it. The Last Jedi was absolutely terrible and so was Rise of Skywalker. I have no doubt that the trilogy would have been better, a lot better if they had planned all three movies from the beginning. The story is terrible, the characters are terrible, it's all terrible.

It's sad as a Star Wars fan when all I am excited for is The Mandalorian and the final season of The Clone Wars instead of the big budget movies. I hope that one day Dave Filoni replaces Kathleen Kennedy. Then Star Wars will be on the right path once again.