congratulations DICE

X_Sunslayer_X
1458 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
i really can't emphasize anymore. congratulations.
it takes a special kind of dedication to deliver next to no progress for over a year now. there hasn't been a single "chapter of live-service" that hasn't broken more then its fixed.
and the best part is it looks like your entire management in the studio can't even be bothered anymore to do the bare minimum. i reckon there are still a few devs with passion for their job but by god this game has never been good not even mediocre at the best of days but to continuously underachieve, break and outright destroy whole sections of the game patch after patch after patch takes a special kind of   dedication i can't stop but to admire and congratulate you for.
but by god the moment one of your precious elite-cosmetics is bugged you spring into action at the speed of sound and fix it.
here is a list of the top 10 issues in your game DICE in case you have forgotten.
10. map-design
9. AA-airplane balance
8. tank balance
7. stationary gun placement on most maps
6. "community-games" if you can even call them that
5. assignments tracking and objectives
4. weapon-balance
3. attrition ( why do you even bother at this point anymore its been so watered down delete it already)
2.anti-cheat
1. team-balance

i know this will do absolutely nothing but i can't help but vent from time to time.

Comments

• spartanx169x
    876 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is what happens when people will no longer work for one of the worst companies currently in business (EA). DICE Sweden has been trying to hire around 25 to 30 people since last year and can’t fill the positions. Currently there is at least 30 vacancies there. Half of which are for the game engine.

It's not really EAs fault tbh. There's a massive shortage of coders across pretty much every industry right now. That's why the pay, retirement benefits, healthcare benefits, and PTO accrual are so good in IT right now. Literally every industry is desperately trying to hire more devs, there just aren't any out there.

It's self inflicted though, companies don't want to hire anyone with less than 3-5 years coding experience, so people who learn it in school have to really sell themselves on their resume and during interviews, and a lot of them just sit jobless for ~1 year until someone finally decides less experience is ok.

True, but EA has done no favors either, such as continuing to use a game engine that needs a complete overhaul or replacement based on what has been said about how difficult it is to work with. Not paying people to stay that do know the engine. Then new programmers come and start the cycle over again. In my opinion, This just part of the issue though.
  • normzzzzzy
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Funny you say this... Vince zampella will be taking over DICE LA in the near future.

Mixed emotions about this as I thoroughly enjoyed Titanfall. But, at the same time, that’s kinda got me spooked in terms of the direction battlefield games will take (if there will ever be a new battlefield) I know frostbite is a pain in the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to use but, in my opinion it’s the best engine for the battlefield series and I’ll be gutted to see it go.

I mean yeah, BFV from a battlefield standpoint does lack that battlefield flare and magic. I just don’t understand how they could make great games all year around and then suddenly lose that momentum.
  • SuperiorByGender
    3239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Funny you say this... Vince zampella will be taking over DICE LA in the near future.

Mixed emotions about this as I thoroughly enjoyed Titanfall. But, at the same time, that’s kinda got me spooked in terms of the direction battlefield games will take (if there will ever be a new battlefield) I know frostbite is a pain in the **** to use but, in my opinion it’s the best engine for the battlefield series and I’ll be gutted to see it go.

I mean yeah, BFV from a battlefield standpoint does lack that battlefield flare and magic. I just don’t understand how they could make great games all year around and then suddenly lose that momentum.
    Why do you even care about Battlefield and DLA? They said that studio will be re branded and will drop support of BF franchise in order to develop its own game.
  • ChickenTheTank
    834 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is what happens when people will no longer work for one of the worst companies currently in business (EA). DICE Sweden has been trying to hire around 25 to 30 people since last year and can’t fill the positions. Currently there is at least 30 vacancies there. Half of which are for the game engine.

It's not really EAs fault tbh. There's a massive shortage of coders across pretty much every industry right now. That's why the pay, retirement benefits, healthcare benefits, and PTO accrual are so good in IT right now. Literally every industry is desperately trying to hire more devs, there just aren't any out there.

It's self inflicted though, companies don't want to hire anyone with less than 3-5 years coding experience, so people who learn it in school have to really sell themselves on their resume and during interviews, and a lot of them just sit jobless for ~1 year until someone finally decides less experience is ok.

True, but EA has done no favors either, such as continuing to use a game engine that needs a complete overhaul or replacement based on what has been said about how difficult it is to work with. Not paying people to stay that do know the engine. Then new programmers come and start the cycle over again. In my opinion, This just part of the issue though.

Yea, the frostbite engine right now is the biggest problem with BF, and a lot of EA's games in general it sounds like.

I've mentioned this sporadically over the last year and a half, but I bet EA and DICE are going to be launching a new frostbite engine built from the ground up for the launch (or shortly after) of the next gen consoles. Hopefully that will solve a lot of the issues we see when new updates come through.

DICE also needs a 100% revamp of its QA process for patches, but that probably won't happen either.
  • Woodlbrad
    744 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 4
    Old news the game has been a dumpster fire for a long time now. Dice can’t improve anything only add more fuel to the fire rip bf.
  • ChickenTheTank
    edited January 5
    Maybe the game plays way better on XB1X than other mediums, because I honestly don't find myself dealing with too many issues besides plane hitreg right now. Everything from the UIX to the actual gameplay has improved since launch in my opinion.

Get rid of elites, make uniforms a little less cartoony, and continue with bug fixes and feature tweaks and this game would be up there with some if my other favorite BFs in another couple months probably.
    Post edited by ChickenTheTank on
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1458 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe the game plays way better on XB1X than other mediums, because I honestly don't find myself dealing with too many issues besides plane hitreg right now. Everything from the UIX to the actual gameplay has improved since launch in my opinion.

Get rid of elites, make uniforms a little less cartoony, and continue with bug fixes and feature tweaks and this game would be up there with some if my other favorite BFs in another couple months probably.
    so you don't suffer from mass team-imbalance where no matter how hard you try your team will loose round after round, then the first few start quitting thus your team never really fills up?
    or one team has 25 ppl in fully stacked clans on coms?
    the UI if you can even call it that is so clunky i mean you have to quit out of a game to equip new unlocks in the armory, a place that doesn't even show you all that you can purchase!
    well for every bug they fixed 2 more keep popping up. and love or hate the new TTK and gunplay DICE flat out ignored all our feedback and gave us not only the middle finger but keeps taunting us with promise of betterment.
  • ChickenTheTank
    (Quote)

so you don't suffer from mass team-imbalance where no matter how hard you try your team will loose round after round, then the first few start quitting thus your team never really fills up?or one team has 25 ppl in fully stacked clans on coms?the UI if you can even call it that is so clunky i mean you have to quit out of a game to equip new unlocks in the armory, a place that doesn't even show you all that you can purchase!well for every bug they fixed 2 more keep popping up. and love or hate the new TTK and gunplay DICE flat out ignored all our feedback and gave us not only the middle finger but keeps taunting us with promise of betterment.

Team balancing, the assignment system, and fun/ vehicle unlocks mud round ate definitely the biggest out standing issues that need to be fixed.

Doesn't mean there haven't been improvements since launch in a ton of areas though :smile:

I expect game balancing and bug fixing to be ongoing in any game I play, and I'm not crashing or getting framerate drops, so 5.2.2 was better than some I'd the previous patches.
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I find team-balance totally unfixable, as it is a player-created problem, people leave when they die to often, which creates player downtime and imbalance, which makes more people angry and quit, which again creates downtime and imbalance. Players quitting immediately upon joining, because the round is deemed "imbalanced" is another issue. They will leave and make room for another guy that will quit upon seeing the score.
    You can tweak stuff a bit like removing downtime between rounds, so players are not as inclined to leave right before the next round starts, or to allow ToW progression on private servers so players are not forced on official servers on maps they do not like. The only real thing to fix player retention in a round they already implemented, that was catch-up mechanic. People do not leave in droves when the race is kept artifically close. That totally destroys the point of playing a game though.
    Cheating is, as it has always been, a vastly overestimated issue. Unless you are forced to play in regions like SEA, where stuff like that is indeed common in gaming. Cheating exists, yet it is not a regular part of the game experience. Oh every 30 rounds or so you get one of the rather obvious dudes, but the rest is mostly subjective perception. I killed a guy three times in a row with the G43 with three shots each. For him I was cheating, which is understandable, yet his dataset was small and subjective, as he could not take into account the three engagements I had where I did not hit anything. In a chaotic game like BF a lot of things can happen, and it is very likely that the most average dude will have the round of his life and instagib you 6 times in one round. The only thing you could do is again allow ToW on private servers so you have a higher chance of getting on an admined server, for the cost of getting on an admined server that can kick for thousand reasons.
    The rest of the list is absolutely understandable. I would indeed like the removal of gadget and health attrition. Non-gameplay wise a total overhaul of the UI and UX although Nathalie Ek does not see the difference between the BF4 and V UI. I find the general experience of everything not directly gameplay the worst in any game I played, although Fallout 76 comes pretty close. MW has a stunning menu screen, where everything is reachable with two clicks, regardless of which menu you are in. If you want to change specs in V you have to click 6 times to get to the menu, 6 times for the specs and then 6 times to get back and another 3-6 to get in a game.
  • SithMetal71
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This thread will probably get locked due to having ago at Dev's, they do not like it when community turns on them. Saying that I play alot less due to game being trash with pathetic support.
  • mf_shro0m
    2348 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 5

Lol. Mate if I was a game designer the first thing I’d do when I’m looking for a job is check out the games the company has out, try the game that I’m going to be working on and read some reviews of the company.

Looking at dice the two games that spring to mind are SWBF and BF5. After that whole ********** regarding dice putting most of the heroes behind paywalls and would take more than £2k to unlock, that’s a huge red flag. All that that kinda behaviour says is GREED and I don’t won’t any company that does that kinda stuff on my CV.

BFV. A quick play through will lead to me encountering invisible soldiers, invisible tanks, non-stop twitching corpses, trash hit detection, countless other bugs and glitches and just terrible game design in so many aspects. All this god knows how many months after the game launched. It’s also evident that most of the devs don’t even play the game. A quick google search would then reveal that some past and current employees have said that the management team are too self-righteous, clueless and just plain incompetent to listen to suggestions and that the workplace environment is stifling. Most nearly, it’s a sinking ship the captains, who have their heads stuck too far up somewhere to listen to what anyone has to say, crashed and are sailing on whilst pretending the ship isn’t ablaze and half sunk already.
    Do you want to drown?
    Would you like to have a AAA plane crash on your CV? Would you like to risk being remembered as being partially responsible for the death of a AAA series?

And knowing EA the pay is probably miserly

Who in their right minds would opt to work for EA Dice on a sinking ship for crap pay?
    They got themselves into this. By ‘they’, I mean the greedy SoBs at the head of EA and the incompetent lil closed-minded pricks leading Dice who won’t listen to any feedback and who only spring into action when a skin’s broken that might hurt their end of year bonus.

As for any stokeholders who approved their approach, I hope their investment goes up in flames

Dice Sweden is understaffed, ok, that’s on EA, but why tf haven’t they just asked Dice LA, their supporting branch, for help? They done it before and that saved BF4 so why not do it again?? Is someone at the top really so insecure that they can’t even bring themselves to ask their own supporting branch for help??
    What a joke

And really EA, you thought that forcing your severely understaffed company to release a game over a year before it was ready was a good idea did you? Why’d you do it, in a bid to make CoD look bad and steal some of their players?
    You’re a joke
  • mf_shro0m
    2348 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ^ oh and let’s not forget the _____ who thought that introducing something more than 80% of the community have openly spoken out against, in a bid to make more money, was a good idea

Jesus Christ how stupid can you be? How are they even alive still, I’d have thought that they’d have stuck their tongue in a socket by now
  • Celsi_GER
    864 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 5
    I an afraid we have yet not fully experienced how stupid they can be - the release of the Type 2a in its current state show that they are still not finished with ruining the game... more Dice bungling to come.
  • CSO7777
    1845 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Celsi_GER said:
    I an afraid we have yet not fully experienced how stupid they can be - the release of the Type 2a in its current state show that they are still not finished with ruining the game... more Dice bungling to come.
    The Type2A is not worse than a shotgun, if medics had shotguns (would have been logical perhaps), then the whining would be about them instead. On most maps it's not a problem in any way, at medium range the gun becomes a pellet-shooter. But they will probably nerf it anyway, because of all the whining...
  • SithMetal71
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They should make weapons as close to real life as possible, using real life data, not players who have never fired a real weapon complaining about balance and being over powered.