Any solid tips for console gamers that recently switched to PC?

eskeatv
111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Hi guys, I am currently a tad frustrated because my progress with mouse and keyboard is really slow.
And sure, I get it, it takes time to get used to the switch, but hey maybe this might bring in some help anyway.

I have roughly 2000? hours on Battlefield on xbox and I was pretty good and very competitive but now I am constantly too slow to act in a fight.
I was wondering if there are others who made the switch and struggled and how did you deal with it?
Any and all tips are welcome. Like, what was your favorite weapon to play with? Favorite game mode?

Thanks! 

Comments

• NamelessForNow
    1459 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Try a lower DPI for your mouse. I have mine at 600dpi and in game sensitivity at 9%. I also have a mouse with lots of buttons. An old console player myself and could never find the keys. Only use the keyboard for movement
  • eskeatv
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Try a lower DPI for your mouse. I have mine at 600dpi and in game sensitivity at 9%. I also have a mouse with lots of buttons. An old console player myself and could never find the keys. Only use the keyboard for movement
    Thanks, I might try 800 dpi, it's currently on 1000 and ingame sens is 10. Is that a standard ingame sensitivity? 
  • NamelessForNow
    1459 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I believe default is 20. I think you also have a separate in game sensitivity for tank gunner also. Might want to try setting them both the same for muscle memory.

• Matty101yttam
    1332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Watch out for the inverted mouse thing, transitioning over to pc you may be just going with existing setups since everything feels foreign, but inverting mouse can make it more/less intuitive depending on how you imagine your movement in game. 
    Try on/off and see what feels best.
  • CSO7777
    1542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As others has stated, use a low DPI with a low sensitivity (and a large mouse-pad). Also make sure that you use a mouse without acceleration (a "gaming" mouse - doesn't have to cost much), otherwise you will have a hard time building muscle memory (because aiming will be inconsistent). And don't tinker too much the the settings, find a suitable setting and stick to it. But around 10 to 15 Inches (26 - 40 cm) for a 360 degree turn is what is generally used in e-sports (in various titles), by the pros.

And then just keep on playing, m+k aiming is improved by doing it a lot and training your body to do it right. After some time, aiming starts becoming 'second nature' and this will improve your reaction time a lot.

Aiming with m+k is always a work in progress
  • eskeatv
    Watch out for the inverted mouse thing, transitioning over to pc you may be just going with existing setups since everything feels foreign, but inverting mouse can make it more/less intuitive depending on how you imagine your movement in game. 
    I reallllly don't like flying with mouse and keyboard :( it's sooo weird it's inverted. 

CSO7777 I have a good gaming mouse, and an XL mousepad :) I did notice I get neck issues from this tho! On controller I can move however I want but now I sit so weird it kind of distracts me a lot. Do you hipfire or zoom in as you aim? What's the best to learn?
  • OskooI_007
    1147 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Game in a La-Z-Boy recliner like me. :smile: Recline back with your aluminum mousepad on the right arm wrest and enjoy PC gaming the way it's meant to be.
  • Violent_Rumble
    398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    eskeatv said:
    I reallllly don't like flying with mouse and keyboard :( it's sooo weird it's inverted.
    As Matty said try inverting the flying controls, it's in the options somewhere..
    And if keyboard isn't your thing maybe try a razer nostromo, tartarus or orbweaver. I use one because I'm terrible on a keyboard, I usually end up mashing the wrong buttons. But with a nostromo my hand is stationary and I always know where the keys are, it also has a d-pad that sits under thumb.
    eskeatv said:
    CSO7777 I have a good gaming mouse, and an XL mousepad :) I did notice I get neck issues from this tho! On controller I can move however I want but now I sit so weird it kind of distracts me a lot.
    Sounds like bad posture. If your sitting at a desk do yourself a favour and google up the do's and don'ts of good posture.
    Once you get through the pc learning curve you'll love it and won't go back so good luck and keep it up.
  • Violent_Rumble
    398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oh and another tip for flying is map pitch-up to space bar.. it's a game changer
  • eskeatv
    Oh and another tip for flying is map pitch-up to space bar.. it's a game changer
    Could you explain this a bit more idk what it means, not native English speaker, sorry!
  • Violent_Rumble
    eskeatv said:
    Could you explain this a bit more idk what it means, not native English speaker, sorry!
    Pitch up is when the planes nose lifts up.
    If you set space bar to do pitch up you can roll sideways and hold space (pitch up) to do endless horizontal circles without needing to use your mouse. It's a beginners move in battlefield dogfighting. Hope this makes sense.. :smile:
  • eskeatv
    eskeatv said:
    Pitch up is when the planes nose lifts up.
    If you set space bar to do pitch up you can roll sideways and hold space (pitch up) to do endless horizontal circles without needing to use your mouse. It's a beginners move in battlefield dogfighting. Hope this makes sense.. :smile:
    Ooooo yeah now I get it. Imma try that, thanks!
  • eskeatv
    OskooI_007  Sounds nice but no room! I have an ordinary gaming chair with a straight back cause my back issues but my neck gets so sore after a while :/ 
  • CSO7777
    1542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    eskeatv said:
    CSO7777 I have a good gaming mouse, and an XL mousepad :) I did notice I get neck issues from this tho! On controller I can move however I want but now I sit so weird it kind of distracts me a lot. Do you hipfire or zoom in as you aim? What's the best to learn?
    You should really make sure you are sitting correctly and not hurting your self while gaming, as others have said google it.

And regarding hipfire or ADS. Hipfire shortens reaction-time by not having to ADS and works very well with some weapons within 10-15 meters. Beyond 15-20 meters ADS becomes necessary to hit consistantly. So learn to master both.

SMGs like the 2A, Suomi, Tommy etc are beasts when hipfired at close range, also shotguns are best used this way. But not weapons are equal and some weapons are awful when hipfiring, but you will learn this as you play.

• Maarmitaa
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Get back to console ASAP. I can't find a single match without a hacker. Wish i haven't sold my X.
  • VOLBANKER
    1295 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maarmitaa said:
    Get back to console ASAP. I can't find a single match without a hacker. Wish i haven't sold my X.
    I’ll second this. BFV on pc is cheater’s paradise.
  • TyroneLoyd
    1562 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 19
    Awareness levels / accuracy is a quite a bit higher in the pc version. Use flanking route more often and push cautiously.

Also turn ads field of view on and raise your fov for lower visual recoil. Dpi / sens is preference. I use 400 and like 6-9 sens but I have a large surface area for myself.
  • eskeatv
    Maarmitaa said:
    I haven't noticed anything yet. I still have all my consoles anyway but I won't let one hacker make me quit playing ><

CSO7777 I will never use shotguns xD I hated them on BF3 because I feel cowards love using them while camping a lot. It's such a cheap way to kill someone. But I noticed waaaay less people using shotguns in bf1/bfv. I am using the Type 2a now but I preferr the Suomi. I got the grease gun but I didn't like it. I personally want a medium range gun tho, I try not to get too close up to enemies because I am going down way too fast because I'm too slow. I guess that's why I snipe a lot, I have more time to save myself due to not being too close to the enemy. Anyway, what's your recommended medium range weapon of choice? 
  • xxxCoOlBr33zExxx
    3884 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Just take your time and play cautiously until you get comfortable with the mouse & keyboard. I took a break for a few months and that's what I had to do when I got back into BF. You will pick it up quick. 

You may also want to try something like Razer Orbweaver as you can program it like your keyboard and puts everything within fingers reach instead of all over the keyboard....just a thought.  I've been using one for years and love it.

-CB
  • eskeatv
    Just take your time and play cautiously until you get comfortable with the mouse & keyboard. I took a break for a few months and that's what I had to do when I got back into BF. You will pick it up quick. 

You may also want to try something like Razer Orbweaver as you can program it like your keyboard and puts everything within fingers reach instead of all over the keyboard....just a thought.  I've been using one for years and love it.

-CB
    I want to really get used of my keyboard so I'd prefer not to switch to something else. But I guess you are right that I need to take my time. I'm just so impatient haha