Why is it so difficult to fix the numerical imbalance after more than one year?

OhMy_DrDeath
13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Not one game prior to BF V had an issue with numerically balancing both sides. Indeed, servers had amateur scripts that performed this task so easily that any server admin could utilise, for free. Why is it that a AAA game developer cannot get this simple thing corrected after such a long game live time?  I mean, seriously, WHY? What does it take to implement a server script that forces team balance numerically if there is a difference of GREATER THAN OR EQUAL to two between the two teams? How hard can that be for the most advanced game code developer on the planet/s.

Comments

• OhMy_DrDeath
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have played so many games where this has happened, one side down by 5,6,7,8 players such that it gives the numerically advantaged side an advantage that carries through the whole game. WHY? Why cannot EA/DICE get this simple piece of coding right?
  • CliffLinMusic
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    this is one of my top complaints... such a fundamental feature of team-based games is balanced teams! why has it taken this long, and yet still no team balance? at one point i even played a match that was 42 vs 12 - how does the game even allow that?! i thought the team player cap was 32?!
  • OhMy_DrDeath
    It is baffling and as you point out, it is a fundameltal feature of team based games. Just how hard can it be?
  • aquadude79
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree, it's strange. Not a programmer, so no idea, but there are a ton of issue like this in the game. How do you release a new lunge mine that bugs out and does 5 damage? like, isn't there just a line of code that says "damage = X" and then don't put a "5" in that? Is it hard to make staghound hits register against other tanks? apparently, cause they haven't registered for, i dunno, 10 months?
    the issue is probably simply bad leadership, BFV is low priority, and the team working on it was always low skill. primarily, you have to blame the leadership on this title. whoever ran point on this game should be demoted, at the minimum, because they are, factually, bad at that job + trying to operate beyond their abilities.
    I've had a few matches start over 32 players one side, under 10 on the other. how do you get over 32 players? mabye it was just a glitchy display on scoreboard, but the rounds sure played out like it was more than 32 players against fewer than 10.
  • NLBartmaN
    4281 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Not just numerical ...

If a game ends with 400 points difference and the next round starts with no changes ... serious?
  • OhMy_DrDeath
    Agreed but skill balance is a much more difficult proposition. Let EA/DICE start fixing the easy issues first.
  • TFBisquit
    2097 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's because we can't switch teams ourselves. that prevents auto switch also. They probably could implement something at the start of the round, but after that it's impossible.
  • NLBartmaN
    4281 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Agreed but skill balance is a much more difficult proposition. Let EA/DICE start fixing the easy issues first.

What is difficult by randomly mixing up the teams/squads/players after a far too big difference round?

Everything is better than another round with the same teams...
  • OhMy_DrDeath
    edited February 8
    When we could run our own servers in BF3 and BF4 there were various scripts that allowed a server to balance games by selecting different parameters, such as overall rank, SPM, kills per minute, skill points etc. You could even adjust it to only take into account the previous game on the server or overall player stats. It still didn't lead to balanced games all the time despite tweaking the various setups. The most effective thing was people swapping teams to help out. You can't swap teams in BF V, another bewildering restriction. 

I don't disagree with your point. I was just saying let EA/DICE sort out what should be a trivial fix in the case of ensuring that the teams have the same number of players each instead of one team having an advantage of sometimes 10 plus players. This is an incontestable issue that should not exist in the first place. And for goodness sake, allow people to swap teams.
  • MrCamp121
    999 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Start by fixing easy issues? I swear theyve been trying for a year. And this game is still trash with the same bugs and same issues.

Battlefield 5 is a lost cause
  • mf_shro0m
    2288 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They don’t actually play the game dude so they don’t care. They’d much rather spend their time modelling crocodiles and dinosaurs so they can take some nice screenshots
  • OhMy_DrDeath
    It would seem that you are correct, EA/DICE don't seem to care at all.
  • shadowlord200
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My thoughts exactly. I complained about why the teams are so unbalanced, but people just say "Don't you think its because people leave the game"

No its inbalance..

20 people vs a full 32 player team, are you mad?