Please recommend a GPU to pair with an i7 3770k

SinCity_24_7
27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 16
This started when I came back to gaming after a 7 yr hiatus using old hardware and started this thread: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/198405/help-an-old-guy-still-running-an-i5-3570k/p1

Here are my current specs after a CPU (from i5 3570k)  and RAM  (from 4gb x2) upgrade in 64 player map (Iwo Jima):

i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
8gb x2
GTX 660ti
1920 x 1080 @ 60hz

High settings
GPU in the 70% range
CPU in the 60% range
FPS mid-low 50s

What would be the highest spec AMD or Nvidia GPU I can use before my CPU becomes the bottleneck? Price-wise, I was leaning to either a GTX 1660 Super or 5600XT. Please keep in mind I will not be upgrading to a new CPU/Mobo.
Post edited by SinCity_24_7 on

Comments

• Jinko_itx
    773 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    for that cpu, i recommend the gtx 1050 Ti or 1060 if you can spare the extra $
  • Titan_Awaken
    1193 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Either a 1660 S or 1660 Ti. Maybe a 2060 though that may be pushing it a little.

With the 5600 you may be able to flash the bios and get some extra performance but there's a risk in bricking the card completely if it fails. There's also some pretty nasty issues with AMD's drivers that people are reporting online. 

Also make sure your power supply supply can handle the new card you've decided on since it's definitely gonna be a lot more power hungry than the 660 Ti you currently have.
  • DaveTheBrave_USA
    161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have an old i7 860, it's 10 years old and I run it with a GTX 1080. It bottlenecks hotter than the 1080 with the CPU at 180 to 190F and the GPU at about 160 to 170F with the monitor set at about 2560X1440 and most settings on high to ultra. No real problems running. I have a decent air cooled heat sink by some company in Japan I cant remember but the system keeps going.
  • BuLetZ4U
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This started when I came back to gaming after a 7 yr hiatus using old hardware and started this thread: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/198405/help-an-old-guy-still-running-an-i5-3570k/p1

Here are my current specs after a CPU (from i5 3570k)  and RAM  (from 4gb x2) upgrade in 64 player map:

i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
    8gb x2
    GTX 660ti
    1920 x 1080 @ 60hz

Hi
    Funny we were just talking about this on a differnt page. Check this vid out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSld-nV-Mfc&feature=youtu.be

No bottlenecks here same set up as you mayby a little more ram than your set up but pretty much the same.
    For me i wouldnt bother going for anything more than a 1060 or 1080 having tested my rig using  a bottleneck check website.

Most maps i get 80/100 FPS less demanding maps  i get 100/120+ FFPS  all smooth as a baby on Medium settings.

Hope this helps.

See you on the battlefield.

• TFBisquit
    2263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 16

Yeah, gtx1080 is about the max for sandy and ivy chips. Wont see much increase in fps after that.
    You can always take your vidcard into the next pc build ofcourse, but the equivalent of gtx1080 would do fine for your setup. That's a rtx2070 more or less.
    I wouldn't bother with 10 series if I were you, so rtx2060 super comes to mind, although personally I would shoot for at least 2070 super.

Post edited by TFBisquit on
  • SinCity_24_7
    Thank you for all of your responses. :)
  • DaveTheBrave_USA
    161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Either a 1660 S or 1660 Ti. Maybe a 2060 though that may be pushing it a little.

With the 5600 you may be able to flash the bios and get some extra performance but there's a risk in bricking the card completely if it fails. There's also some pretty nasty issues with AMD's drivers that people are reporting online. 

Also make sure your power supply supply can handle the new card you've decided on since it's definitely gonna be a lot more power hungry than the 660 Ti you currently have.
    They are making GPU cards much more efficient these days. My GTX 1080 uses much less wattage than  my older GTX 770. In today's builds you should have all your high end bases covered with room to spare with a 850 W PSU.
  • CSO7777
    1774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

They are making GPU cards much more efficient these days. My GTX 1080 uses much less wattage than  my older GTX 770. In today's builds you should have all your high end bases covered with room to spare with a 850 W PSU.
    An RTX 2070 uses 185 watts (the 2070 Super uses 215 watts), the 660TI uses 150 watts.

Personally I have run a 2700K (overclocked to 4,4Ghz) and later on a R2700X (PBO) with a GTX1080 (180 watts), without any issues on a 650 watt PSU.
  • Odds1979
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I would wait a little since AMD and nVidia are releasing new GPU's this year.
  • SinCity_24_7
    Odds1979 said:
    I would wait a little since AMD and nVidia are releasing new GPU's this year.
    When do they normally release them? I still haven't replaced the card yet. But, I did buy a gaming laptop that is on the way (i7 10750H w/ 2070). So still looking towards a budget card that would pair up to the 3770k well.

Hope everyone is Covid safe. 
  • Crashpilot1001
    258 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 22
    I would pair a cheap AMD RX 580 (8GB) or 590 (8GB) with it. Price and Performance is good for FullHD and for whatever reason the AMD Driver utilizes less CPU in Battlefield.
    See:  at Timecode 3:09 . 

EDIT: Your CPU will be - with custom settings - around 110-130 FPS on a full Multiplayer Server. All the Benchmarks are at default presets (like Ultra) nobody plays with. I wouldn't invest above 200$ in a GFX card without changing the platform.
  • bigguyhawaii
    397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Why match? I assume you’re going to upgrade other parts. If you want to start with the gpu get the best you can afford. So when you upgrade the cpu mobo you can carry the gpu over.
  • SinCity_24_7
    edited April 26
    Why match? I assume you’re going to upgrade other parts. If you want to start with the gpu get the best you can afford. So when you upgrade the cpu mobo you can carry the gpu over.
    I don't plan on upgrading to a different mobo/CPU in the future. I ended up getting a gaming laptop (10750H & RTX 2070) and want to maximize this desktop PC with the existing components.
    Post edited by SinCity_24_7 on
  • bigguyhawaii
    397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Then buy another gpu and sli.
  • CSO7777
    1774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Then buy another gpu and sli.
    SLI is more or less dead on most newer titles, it will only bring a lot frustrations.
  • trip1ex
    5213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 26
    2070 or up.  

I have a 1080 on my 3770k.  Glad i bought it.  It definitley give you more headroom than a lesser gpu paired with your older cpu contrary to what you might read.  

All those things you read, where an old cpu is the bottleneck for a new higher end gpu, is based on tests that push the graphical settings as high as possible.  

But I always play BF on lower settings anyway in order to make the game is more responsive and a better gpu will provide more headroom there than a lesser gpu.  Plus better gpus have higher minimum frame rates for those situations with lots of action.
  • SinCity_24_7
    trip1ex said:
    2070 or up.  

I have a 1080 on my 3770k.  Glad i bought it.  It definitley give you more headroom than a lesser gpu paired with your older cpu contrary to what you might read.  

All those things you read, where an old cpu is the bottleneck for a new higher end gpu, is based on tests that push the graphical settings as high as possible.  

But I always play BF on lower settings anyway in order to make the game is more responsive and a better gpu will provide more headroom there than a lesser gpu.  Plus better gpus have higher minimum frame rates for those situations with lots of action.
    Thanks. Notice that Nvidia video cards are in short supply like PSU.
  • TFBisquit
    2263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, try looking for an ear thermometer lol.
    Anyway, that 5600xt you mentioned would be ok if you're not into spending too much and have this pc on the side.
  • SinCity_24_7
    TFBisquit said:
    Well, try looking for an ear thermometer lol.

Didn't realize those are in short supply also. Damn Covid!

• filthmcnasty
    851 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2
    Pulse Sapphire 580 Rx 8Gb. Great card, I run it with my i5 3570k and it's a sweet combo.
    I got mine for about $180 on Newegg.