Extreme Bloom?

Jagick
13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I remember at some point a year or two ago when I last played things were fine lighting wise, and then there was some update to the lighting system and everyone was complaining about how much lens flare and bloom was being generated, especially on maps like Argonne Forest. This was, again, a year or two ago. I'm assuming this was never fixed? Standing next to a window and looking outside still makes half my screen yellow and white and this is what I was looking at for most of the last match...

Is this working as intended or am I experiencing some sort of bug or graphical setting I'm not aware of?

Comments

• OskooI_007
    1192 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 17
    BF1 was updated with HDR support, which caused bloom issues for SDR lighting. I imagine there's less bloom on HDR monitors.
  • Jagick
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There is an option to turn HDR (High Dynamic Range) off in the options but that doesn't seem to make a difference, nor does lowering lighting or post processing quality.
  • Titan_Awaken
    918 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Looks like fog to me.
  • Jagick
    Looks like fog to me.

It's fog and bloom in this particular picture but it wasn't this bad two years ago. The screen looks more or less the same (if not worse) if I stand next to a window, or inside of a partially destroyed building. The B point on Tsaritsyn is the worst offender of this. Sandstorms also immediately become blindingly white just a couple meters away no matter what direction I look in.
  • WetFishDB
    2229 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Looks like fog to me.

Agree. It looks like fog, and possibly combined with the brightness turned up in the settings perhaps?
  • Titan_Awaken
    918 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The Frostbite engine in BF1 does have a documented problem where light from the outside appears a blindingly bright white when you're looking outside through a window or a door so that may be what you're looking at, OP. It's been in the game since launch and since it's a lighting issue from the Frostbite engine, I think it's safe to assume that it affects all players. 

The photo in question does look a bit bright but I'd say it's within the normal range. 
  • Jagick
    WetFishDB said:
    Looks like fog to me.

Agree. It looks like fog, and possibly combined with the brightness turned up in the settings perhaps?

Again, there is fog, but brightness is default, HDR is turned off, Lighting and post processing are set to the lowest possible (but I have also tried max settings.)

The Frostbite engine in BF1 does have a documented problem where light from the outside appears a blindingly bright white when you're looking outside through a window or a door so that may be what you're looking at, OP. It's been in the game since launch and since it's a lighting issue from the Frostbite engine, I think it's safe to assume that it affects all players. 

The photo in question does look a bit bright but I'd say it's within the normal range. 

It wasn't this mad at launch and it seems to get worse if you aim down sights near or at a window compared to aiming from the hip. It was bright but at least you could still see. At this point the majority of the screen becomes totally white and yellow. 100% opaque colors.