The Chat filter is out of control

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    14177 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    The thing is, normal English spelling would end the word with a K.
    Depends on region though,  There is US English and UK English.

Like there is different spellings for certain words,   e.g Color / Colour

One spelling may look out of place vs the other region's version of spelling the same word.

True, but that ugly slur is an American slur.
    Also considered a slur here in the UK,  Even though it's use barely makes it into any kind of conversation.

But yeah,  I've often seen that slur used in chats where there are a lot of Americans,  Such as in IRC channels back in the late 90's to the mid noughties.
  • StarscreamUK
    7521 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    "Join Squad Jig" translate "Join squad ***"

Really? Dosent matter what your filter is doing, it should not block words thats in game!

EDIT: I understand its self learning but you need to have some control over it, how is it otherwise when you take away words it have been blocking? Can it block it again if it like or is that word whitelisted now so it never block it again? If so, take control and make sure it dosent block words that make US your customer to complain about stuff like this for a product we played for. Its frustrating to even have to report something like this.

The team behind the bot needs to work for a solution to this and the self learning aspect have clearly failed due to some wierd word is getting blocked.

Crazy as the word in question is used as part of a racial slur.
  • losthunter340
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    "Join Squad Jig" translate "Join squad ***"

Really? Dosent matter what your filter is doing, it should not block words thats in game!

EDIT: I understand its self learning but you need to have some control over it, how is it otherwise when you take away words it have been blocking? Can it block it again if it like or is that word whitelisted now so it never block it again? If so, take control and make sure it dosent block words that make US your customer to complain about stuff like this for a product we played for. Its frustrating to even have to report something like this.

The team behind the bot needs to work for a solution to this and the self learning aspect have clearly failed due to some wierd word is getting blocked.

Crazy as the word in question is used as part of a racial slur.

Then dont put things in the game that can be a racial slur then. If "Jig" is a word in game we should be able to say it too. Just due to the reason me and my friend tried to tell someone we enjoyed playing with to join our squad, but we couldnt due to "bad word", crazy Jig can be in game if its a part of a racial slur...... SMH

We should be able to talk about squad names, objectives names, tank names, weapon names etc etc without have it beeing cencored due to it could be a bad word or be a part of a bad word, dont defend that we cant say it.
  • StarscreamUK
    7521 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Pretty sure I said it was crazy....
  • Hawxxeye
    7478 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    This is probably a consequence of using for the squad names what is probably the era relevant phonetic alphabet instead of the modern ICAO radio-telephonic alphabet in which J would be Juliet
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    This is probably a consequence of using for the squad names what is probably the era relevant phonetic alphabet instead of the modern ICAO radio-telephonic alphabet in which J would be Juliet
    The issue here is the fact that the system has "blacklist" of forbidden words and phrases but the same time "whitelist" of important words does not exist. 
  • Carbonic
    1850 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Hawxxeye said:
    The issue here is the fact that the system has "blacklist" of forbidden words and phrases but the same time "whitelist" of important words does not exist. 
    There probably is a whitelist. The whitelist however does not contain all the words it optimally should hence why the EA people asked for instances where their filter catches something it shouldn't. In any case, unless you actually have sources for the whitelist not existing then please don't spread misinformation.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    There probably is a whitelist. The whitelist however does not contain all the words it optimally should hence why the EA people asked for instances where their filter catches something it shouldn't. In any case, unless you actually have sources for the whitelist not existing then please don't spread misinformation.
    If there was "whitelist", the game wouldn't have to filter random harmless words related to gameplay. So I thought it was safe to assume there is no such thing. Unless some of community managers proves my assumptions wrong.
  • Carbonic
    1850 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Carbonic said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    If there was "whitelist", the game wouldn't have to filter random harmless words related to gameplay. So I thought it was safe to assume there is no such thing. Unless some of community managers proves my assumptions wrong.
    You should not assume, especially not with weak reasoning like that. I just got it confirmed by EA - there is a whitelist. Now stop spreading misinformation, please.
  • Hawxxeye
    7478 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    "clan" is the new word I found being filtered.
  • OP_Glitchmobile
    972 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    "Fart" is banned...no clue why.

Maybe we'll be using signlanguage in the next bf...because every written word will be banned...lol
  • VOLBANKER
    1705 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I found two filtered words today:

”as”

”hurt”
  • MrCamp121
    1080 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why is "gee gee" censored?
  • Foxassassin
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
    Carbonic said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    You should not assume, especially not with weak reasoning like that. I just got it confirmed by EA - there is a whitelist. Now stop spreading misinformation, please.

And it took this long for it to be confirmed. This is the same problem we've been having since launch, there's been less than minimal levels of communication. We have -nothing- to go on but assumtions, and even then the countless lies we've been told, and 180% turns on nearly every facet of development. Can you really blame any of us for being both upset and assuming?
  • Carbonic
    edited June 25
    Carbonic said:
    Carbonic said:
    Hawxxeye said:

And it took this long for it to be confirmed. This is the same problem we've been having since launch, there's been less than minimal levels of communication. We have -nothing- to go on but assumtions, and even then the countless lies we've been told, and 180% turns on nearly every facet of development. Can you really blame any of us for being both upset and assuming?
    It's not like there was any demand to have it confirmed beforehand. Of all the things EA and DICE could communicate more about I hardly think the technical aspects of a chat filter is high on the community wishlist. There's a new filter, it covers more than Battlefield and it's not perfect but it's here to stay. EA would like you to receive feedback in the form of bad examples so they can improve it. The motivation is already mentioned and there are sites like https://www.ea.com/commitments/positive-play/charter to explain it further. I can understand if you lack information in general, but in this specific case I don't see what more you want - I guess they could make a blog about coding a chat filter but of all the developer blogs I can imagine that's probably one of the more boring ones and there's already a ton of resources out there on coding chat filters already.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited June 25
    I hope that at the end of all this the filter will not be so obstructive to a banter between adults.
    One thing that the filter had in common with BFV is that both came out before they were ready ;)
    I am not retrying to use the words I reported earlier but so far I do not see any changes yet.
    During the course of this game the only word that I noticed being blocked but then ironically whitelisted is the C-word for the crab constellation. A word still popular as part of a malicious sentence used to wish a painful death to other players...
  • Netranger9
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    At least they are being consistant - They couldnt fix 50% of the bugs in BFV,and they havent even got the common sense to realize that a chat filter is never going to work.GG EA/DICE.  
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
     I can understand if you lack information in general, but in this specific case I don't see what more you want - I guess they could make a blog about coding a chat filter but of all the developer blogs I can imagine that's probably one of the more boring ones and there's already a ton of resources out there on coding chat filters already.
    There's already a ton of resources out there on coding chat filters already...So, given that this is the case...why does the one that EA uses function so poorly?
  • Carbonic
    Carbonic said:
     I can understand if you lack information in general, but in this specific case I don't see what more you want - I guess they could make a blog about coding a chat filter but of all the developer blogs I can imagine that's probably one of the more boring ones and there's already a ton of resources out there on coding chat filters already.
    There's already a ton of resources out there on coding chat filters already...So, given that this is the case...why does the one that EA uses function so poorly?
    You say it functions "so poorly" but I doubt the majority of players even know the filtering is there. It ofc. seem worse if you are a forumfielder because you see all the fun examples of it not working on here or if you are a generally toxic person.

If have a lot of experience in coding, configuring and deploying worldwide enterprise multi-language almost real-time word and sentence filtering solutions spread across multiple products and platforms I'm sure you can apply for a job.