The Chat filter is out of control

Comments

• MrCamp121
    1080 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    "Hurt" is censored lol
  • Braddock512
    1537 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    I've sent an email about the words in the last page or so to the anti-toxicty team (that is working on the filter). 

I can say I've gotten feedback on the word clan. It's currently blocked because the POLISH version of the word "clan" is "klan" which is, of course, in English related to a right-wing hate group. 

-Braddock512
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6248 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 26
    This chat filter is what happens when you do the upmost to protect everyone's feelings and just ends up looking stupid in the process. Absolutely silly for a game rated M for Mature. It's so nonsensical. People that play Battlefield's biggest competitors, Fortnite and COD, prefer VOIP communication, and talk way more. That alone exposes their general player base to WAY more toxicity. An overbearing chat filter is completely unnecessary. Don't even get me started on Forum rules. 
    The issue here is the fact that this "anti-toxicity team" will not win this fight. Unless they literally filter every 3rd word because people with wild imagination will ALWAYS find a way to humiliate and mock others.

As an example:
    They filter word "dumb", people start using "stupid"
    They filter word "stupid", people start using "silly"
    They filter word 'silly", people start using "low IQ"
    And the ride never ends.

If you want to keep and improve this whole filer thing, just simply filter the most obvious stuff and let everything else be. That's the most obvious choice here.
    Post edited by llPhantom_Limbll on
  • Hawxxeye
    7504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 29
    One more word that is filtered:
    "Nutter"
    I was trying to greet 2 friends in the team who have names that are like Nuttys and Nutcracker so I tried to tell them  "Hello Nutters!" And it turned to "Hello *******"...

Edit: also "An One" is also blocked
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • Magikf1ngers
    168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    "Nutter"
    I was trying to greet 2 friends in the team who have names that are like Nuttys and Nutcracker so I tried to tell them  "Hello Nutters!" And it turned to "Hello *******"...

• Red_Label_Scotch
    1543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    "Nutter"

Edit: also "An One" is also blocked
    Is, "anon" blocked also?  (as in anonymous)
  • cajjpants
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is, from the ground up, a totally pointless thing to implement. Disable chat by default, if people are getting offended then they won't see it.
  • stny72
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've sent an email about the words in the last page or so to the anti-toxicty team (that is working on the filter). 

I can say I've gotten feedback on the word clan. It's currently blocked because the POLISH version of the word "clan" is "klan" which is, of course, in English related to a right-wing hate group. 

-Braddock512

Not every word is racist just because some racist groups use it. Scottish, Irish have used the term 'clan' for centuries. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Hawxxeye
    7504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    stny72 said:

-Braddock512

Not every word is racist just because some racist groups use it. Scottish, Irish have used the term 'clan' for centuries. This is getting ridiculous.
    My clan leader heard from sources that at least the clan with C will be whitelisted at some point, just not the K one.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    stny72 said:

-Braddock512

My clan leader heard from sources that at least the clan with C will be whitelisted at some point, just not the K one.
    During BF4, they had no problem using the term, "Clan Tags."  Just check the BF4 forums.

• losthunter340
    72 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    stny72 said:

-Braddock512

Fair enough, "Klan" is the Swedish word for Clan and some word in Swedish are also cencored and I wonder why due to it is DICE Sweden who make the game as far as I know but I take it due to the english client.
  • Matty101yttam
    1416 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
    Carbonic said:
     I can understand if you lack information in general, but in this specific case I don't see what more you want - I guess they could make a blog about coding a chat filter but of all the developer blogs I can imagine that's probably one of the more boring ones and there's already a ton of resources out there on coding chat filters already.
    There's already a ton of resources out there on coding chat filters already...So, given that this is the case...why does the one that EA uses function so poorly?
    You say it functions "so poorly" but I doubt the majority of players even know the filtering is there. It ofc. seem worse if you are a forumfielder because you see all the fun examples of it not working on here or if you are a generally toxic person.

If have a lot of experience in coding, configuring and deploying worldwide enterprise multi-language almost real-time word and sentence filtering solutions spread across multiple products and platforms I'm sure you can apply for a job.
    Your joking right...anyone who's tried to use the chat knows how bad it is, you just need to you know...look at the chat to see all the asterisks and then follow up of frustrated comments and repeated messages trying to get round the filter(and yes they all end up getting their message across, even the toxic people...who for the record are actually the people this system least affects because they actually figure out how to get around it early on).

Also no need for the second line, when people have used things so often like this they don't need to be an expert to know when something isn't working as it should. You don't need to be an automotive expert to know that your car is making weird sounds or when a "chat" tool keeps spitting out asterisks instead of words.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14198 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    cajjpants said:
    It is, from the ground up, a totally pointless thing to implement. Disable chat by default, if people are getting offended then they won't see it.
    And that solution isnt viable if players want to communicate through team chat about a flank for example.

• llPhantom_Limbll
    6248 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    cajjpants said:
    And that solution isnt viable if players want to communicate through team chat about a flank for example.

But people on consoles do that just fine without chat. If Dice can't find better solution just remove chat option altogether in the next BF game. It's way easier compared to all these broken filters and censoring harmless words.
  • Pimp_SWE
    63 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

-Braddock512

Swedish as well
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14198 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    cajjpants said:

But people on consoles do that just fine without chat. If Dice can't find better solution just remove chat option altogether in the next BF game. It's way easier compared to all these broken filters and censoring harmless words.
    No idea how its done on consoles but on pc I'll often use team chat to warn of flanks if I happen to die in an area that is being used to flank behind my team.

Better solution is to have both a whitelist and blacklist if there absolutely needs to be a chat filter.

Thing is,  it takes time,  especially if there is some form of AI in charge of the filter or its scripted in such a way as to censor unnecessary words/combination of words
  • Red_Label_Scotch

Your joking right...anyone who's tried to use the chat knows how bad it is, you just need to you know...look at the chat to see all the asterisks and then follow up of frustrated comments and repeated messages trying to get round the filter(and yes they all end up getting their message across, even the toxic people...who for the record are actually the people this system least affects because they actually figure out how to get around it early on).

Also no need for the second line, when people have used things so often like this they don't need to be an expert to know when something isn't working as it should. You don't need to be an automotive expert to know that your car is making weird sounds or when a "chat" tool keeps spitting out asterisks instead of words.
    Yeah.  It was pretty snarky.
  • Hawxxeye
    cajjpants said:

No idea how its done on consoles but on pc I'll often use team chat to warn of flanks if I happen to die in an area that is being used to flank behind my team.

Better solution is to have both a whitelist and blacklist if there absolutely needs to be a chat filter.

Thing is,  it takes time,  especially if there is some form of AI in charge of the filter or its scripted in such a way as to censor unnecessary words/combination of words

Yeah I also warn for flanks on chat too. One of the main reasons I moved to PC after BF3 is the chat.
    But really why do we have to be the ones to beta test that junky A.I.? Being in a situation where we are  basically paying for an eternal beta test seems to be the pattern in BFV