The Chat filter is out of control

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Appreciate the constructive feedback dropped here and there in this thread.

Reality is - this is a learning filter that is being rolled out through more EA titles. 
    We called it out as an issue when they turned it on for Battlefield V (only, so far), especially after the shenanigans prior to launch. 

We've been feeding back to the team regarding some of the words that are block (like "do", really?), and the filter was not set for the rating of the game. 
    I know it's frustrating, it's something a separate team that oversees multiple EA titles is working on. 

As I get updates I can share, I will share them here. 

-Braddock512
    Can we still have an option to turn it off? Is it even possible?
  • Braddock512
    1537 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    I can check. As it’s a new tool, it may or may not have that option yet. Like I said, they’re rolling it out to have appropriate filters based on game rating - but that’s not functional yet.
    Example: E for Everyone won’t work for games like Battlefield as some stricter rules for games that have a younger player base may inadvertently block legit phrases in a T or M rated game.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I can check. As it’s a new tool, it may or may not have that option yet. Like I said, they’re rolling it out to have appropriate filters based on game rating - but that’s not functional yet.
    Example: E for Everyone won’t work for games like Battlefield as some stricter rules for games that have a younger player base may inadvertently block legit phrases in a T or M rated game.
    Weird. People mention all the time that MP in BF games has never been rated. And rating itself is based only on SP experience.
  • Hawxxeye
    7464 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Would it not be appropriate for the M rated games to have a toggle that ignores the filtering ingame.
    After all the worst things one can say in the BF chat are not cuss words but words/sentences that cannot ever be really filtered.
  • CT1924
    1264 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Blackidus wrote: »
    I don´t really use profanity when I type but when I can´t type "Tea bag" in the chat i´m mad.
    Whats wrong with a tea bag? I drink tea all the time while playing.

Ehrm... go watch Battlefield Friends and you'll find out what the term means... it is not literal.
  • CT1924
    1264 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Actually just make Chat a player choice in game “ Sensored or Unsensored !

I think there is...
  • Foxassassin
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 28
    I mean... The ability to turn off the filter was promised after the Beta, the twitter links I posted prove that it was supposed to be in...

• Braddock512
    1537 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    I mean... The ability to turn off the filter was promised after the Beta, the twitter links I posted prove that it was supposed to be in...

I saw the links you posted. Unfortunately, sometimes folks make statements that aren't vetted by other teams. This isn't throwing David under the bus, by any means. However, it wasn't one person's decision to make and the decision after launch was to not have it disabled. 

Be as well asking the "support team" why hackers reported weeks if not months ago are still in the game hacking away. Hardly an incentive to play the game when the player base is now so small that running into the same chimp hacking is a daily occurrence..
    That's because the support team doesn't handle anti-cheat. That's a completely separate team at DICE. 

-Braddock512
  • Braddock512
    Hawxxeye said:
    Would it not be appropriate for the M rated games to have a toggle that ignores the filtering ingame.
    After all the worst things one can say in the BF chat are not cuss words but words/sentences that cannot ever be really filtered.
    No, it wouldn't. The reason is simple: While some words are fine for a mature audience, there still needs to be a block on hate speech, racism, etc. There's absolutely zero excuse or allowance for those types of comments.
    RE: your second point - that's why a new tool with learning capabilities was brought in. 

-Braddock512
  • Hawxxeye
    7464 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 29
    Hawxxeye said:
    No, it wouldn't. The reason is simple: While some words are fine for a mature audience, there still needs to be a block on hate speech, racism, etc. There's absolutely zero excuse or allowance for those types of comments.
    RE: your second point - that's why a new tool with learning capabilities was brought in. 

-Braddock512
    So we can expect a future where people will not be able to taunt others with "ez" at the end of the round?
    That would be appreciated.
    In these games it is not an f word or another cuss word that will get people the most riled up but things that question or belittle their skill and efforts
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    edited May 29
    Hawxxeye said:

-Braddock512
    So this all means we will never have an option to turn the filer on and off? And the only solution is if people responsible for the filter can make it "smart'?
  • StarscreamUK
    7521 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    (Quote)

So we can expect a future where people will not be able to taunt others with "ez" at the end of the round?That would be appreciated..In these games it is not an f word or another cuss word that will get people the most riled up but things that question or belittle their skill and efforts

Hmm unsure... I see people declaring ez and they lost the round lok
  • Foxassassin
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:

-Braddock512

The problem with that? The line won't stop.
    -
    Every word will have more than one meaning. Some person will find offence to anything and everything, and it only takes a few people making a scene for something absurd to get a negative conotation.... You cannot block racism, hate, ect by blocking words, because someone will -always- find something new.
    And in doing so you block more and more words. The filter currently in the game is a perfect example. By trying to block so much, it's breaking down communications on a fundamental level.
    -
    You can change the game. You can't change people
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    (Quote)

So we can expect a future where people will not be able to taunt others with "ez" at the end of the round?That would be appreciated..In these games it is not an f word or another cuss word that will get people the most riled up but things that question or belittle their skill and efforts

Hmm unsure... I see people declaring ez and they lost the round lok
    They usually do that to humiliate their own teammates and claim that their team was really bad and didn't resist at all.
  • SirBobdk
    5222 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yesterday one said I was using aimbot in plane
    I wrote “ cmon 12-1 in plane = aimbot“
    It came out as “****** plane = aimbot”  Rofl.
  • Hawxxeye
    SirBobdk said:
    Yesterday one said I was using aimbot in plane
    I wrote “ cmon 12-1 in plane = aimbot“
    It came out as “****** plane = aimbot”  Rofl.
    If you say "Rise and Shine" it will come out as "Rise and *****"