Microsoft confirms Xbox Series X has 12 teraflops GPU

OskooI_007
1203 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 25
Guess the rumors were true. Next-gen Xbox will have a 12 teraflops GPU.

For comparison:

Nvidia RTX 2080 = 10.07 TFLOPS
Xbox Series X = 12 TFLOPS
Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti = 13.4 TFLOPs

Not bad for a console which will likely sell for around $500. The 2080 Ti currently sells for over $1,000.

Xbox_ShortBullets_JPG.jpg

Other interesting features:

- Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.

- HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.

- 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.

Along with a cheat free online gaming experience and native mouse support. I'll be switching from PC to Xbox Series X most likely.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/02/24/what-you-can-expect-next-generation-gaming/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-24-microsoft-confirms-xbox-series-x-has-12-teraflops-gpu

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-series-x-specs-features-cpu-gpu-ssd-8k-fps-6400

Comments

• Vespervin
    1361 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm really exited for this Xbox. I love the way it looks and I can't wait for the games that are developed for the next-generation. I hope there is greater keyboard and mouse support, and more cross-platform multiplayer games.
  • IIPrest0nII
    2191 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Not bad. It's interesting to watch how consoles are developing. But let's not rush with conclusions and let's see how all that will be implemented in real. How actually games will be working on this console.
  • OskooI_007
    1203 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    New video from Digital Foundry explaining in-depth details about Xbox Series X hardware specs and software features.

I'm happy to hear all clock speeds are locked for both the CPU and GPU. Meaning they'll never downclock due to thermal throttling. Even the SSD drive has a heat sink so it won't thermal throttle.

The CPU is confirmed as 8 cores with 16 threads, with a pretty massive heatsink.

3D accelerate audio hardware sounds interesting. This is separate from any ray traced audio carried out on the GPU.

The expandable 1TB SSD drive looks awesome. It reminds me of the old memory cards for PlayStation.

Lots of information to unpack in this video. If games have mouse and keyboard support, I'll be throwing my money at Microsoft in order to get away from PC cheaters.

• DisguisedMike
    434 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm still gaming on my day one PS4 so I've been ready to move on for a while now and even if specs don't mean much to me this looks like an impressive upgrade. Can't wait to see what Battlefield will look like on next gen consoles.

I have over 300 games on PS4 so I already decided that I'm getting a PS5 first just to take advantage of backwards compatibility. But unlike the past few years where I pretty much ignored everything about the Xbox One and never even considered buying one, this time I'll keep an eye on what Microsoft is doing and I might get the Xbox Series X in a few years if it has good exclusives.

The Xbox Series X might have the best specs but if the games don't interest me, it really doesn't matter.

Looking forward to see details about the PS5 and to finally be able to play Battlefield on 60hz servers on consoles. :)

• Titan_Awaken
    947 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Can't wait for these new consoles to release so devs can finally take advantage of the PC hardware released in 2018. It's about damn time Sony and Microsoft finally discovered that slapping an SSD into a system can cut loading screens to only 1/4th.