so combat roles were a fail and a big lie apparently

X_Sunslayer_X
1458 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
i remember DICE teasing multiple combat roles with access to multiple play styles. i mean i get it had to be dropped hard and fast due to the sheer amount of bad hitting the fan with BFV up until now but by god who in the dev team even came up with that idea? and how come everyone was onboard with it and then dropping it like a potato as soon as the opportunity arose?

Comments

• SuperiorByGender
    3239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    One simple reason - development time.

BF5 was in a total crunch. Developed in 2 years, just like BF4. The only difference is that BF4 was BF3 on steroids, while BF5 is full of new ideas that had no time to be properly developed.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 29
    Everybody is basically using the default ones because others are worthless or people simply don't care.
    But I'd like Dice to take another look at this feature some time.
    Post edited by llPhantom_Limbll on
  • Weslyvt
    32 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When playing recon it is useful for a different play style. Pathfinder when using SLR and you can spawn on friendly spawnbeacons. Sniper when you are going to snipe in distance. But yeah they should take a look at it for more varities.
  • Noodlesocks
    3631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Would love to see the roles explored more. There's a lot of really simple things they could do with the perks that could really diversify how the classes can be played.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1458 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    One simple reason - development time.

BF5 was in a total crunch. Developed in 2 years, just like BF4. The only difference is that BF4 was BF3 on steroids, while BF5 is full of new ideas that had no time to be properly developed.

rather would have seen them ditch attrition and animations then the combat roles if i'm begin honest. i get some animations are nice like exeting and entering vehicles but the constant healing, reviving and resupplying is just getting really tedious and detracts from gameplay for the sake of looking pretty. something that BFV struggles with anyways compared to BF1 which feels much crisper and vibrant in terms of presentation.
    well hopefully DICE learns from their mistakes after repeating them again coming from BF4 and BFV and maybe not release half finished piles of coding that barely hold themselves together for the vast majority and puts quality over quantity in 2021
  • Trokey66
    9103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If I remember correctly, Combat Roles and Archetypes wee seriously dialled back during alpha/beta testing because of 'feedback from the community'.

They didn't like the restrictiveness (is that a real word?) of them.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    Trokey66 said:
    If I remember correctly, Combat Roles and Archetypes wee seriously dialled back during alpha/beta testing because of 'feedback from the community'.

in the ALPHA there were the same archetypes/combat roles as we have today^^ we had nothing but the concept ideas DICE talked about
  • Trokey66
    9103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

in the ALPHA there were the same archetypes/combat roles as we have today^^ we had nothing but the concept ideas DICE talked about

I have slept a few times since then so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Either way, I am positive they weren't expanded upon because of 'community feedback'.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They’re also completely hidden deep, deep within DICE’s legendarily awful UI. Id bet 75% of the community doesn’t even know about them.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    They’re also completely hidden deep, deep within DICE’s legendarily awful UI. Id bet 75% of the community doesn’t even know about them.

just shows again the lack of quality. if your UI is so convoluted you have to get directions around it. even though i think you can not access the menu anymore. but in general BFVs UI is just a pain in the back one of the reasons i do not even bother with assignments anymore for example
  • DingoKillr
    4350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »

This. There was talk of having certain weapons/gadget tied to a role.

Like Recon SMG paratrooper, Assault light Infantry no sticky dynamite.
  • ElliotLH
    9554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    (Quote)

I have slept a few times since then so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Either way, I am positive they weren't expanded upon because of 'community feedback'.

I remember hearing similar reasoning too.