I stink at this. Will I improve??

Colstar
14 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I am continually pummeled in this, getting K/D scores of 4/30+ Is it practice or are some people just naturally better at it?

Comments

• WetFishDB
    2238 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Colstar said:
    I am continually pummeled in this, getting K/D scores of 4/30+ Is it practice or are some people just naturally better at it?
    A bit of both.  It took me a long while to get my career KDR to 1.  It's now nearly 4.  And that came from practice, learning the maps and the main routes, reading the game etc.  But I have spent a LOT of time in the game.  Now, the people you are up against are probably either very new, because the game is dirt cheap, or very experienced.  That'll only make things even harder to improve.

Some tips, if you want them:

- Stay with your squad and follow squad orders
    - Find a class and gun that suits your style.  I strongly recommend medic for versatility (and squad play) or assault as the guns are a bit easier.
    - Use cover, try and avoid open spaces
    - Watch the plethora of good YouTube guides out there that teach you the basics.
  • -Antares65z
    1728 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What class and weapons are you running?  Try Medic and feed yourself med kits to keep yourself and your teammates alive longer. You've come into the game late and are playing against vets who have been playing since Day 1. Plus you're dealing with cheater punks which doesn't help your cause. 
  • Colstar
    Have been playing Medic, and yes I have only just purchased it so I guess that doesn't help. :/

Thanks for the replies.
  • CStarfish9
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Watch gameplay videos.. Every class has their own best weapons and hipfire is beast in this game. Always spawn on flags and check minimap.
  • Imadis64
    114 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    OMG, I never played any FPS on any console in my 55 yrs on this planet until about 13 months ago. Could not move, shoot or go to the bathroom. K/D must have been WELL less than 0.1 for the first few months. I am writing this as though you are as inexperienced as I was which is PROBABLY not the case. 

I play on Xbox, so this MAY be just applicable to this. 

Advice: 
    1. Watch videos on improving and use their settings. The color of the dot in the middle is best seen as a sort of a hot-pink color. Others blend in to one background or another. 
    2. Play Breakthrough. Conquest is like a merry-go-round with little sense of where enemies appear. Breakthrough has more order and a goal.
    3. Don't bother with learning vehicles at first unless experienced with such things in other games. Too much info to soak up. 
    4. Learn to use gadgets and what may work for you. Playing Medic and self-healing often may be right for early use to minimize early frustration. For me, I sniped as a Recon often early to get a feel for maps. As a Recon, use the scope and learn the feel/look of the game from a distance. (The 6x scope gives your position away with a glint). I rarely use it now. 
    5. Upgrade one weapon at a time on skill tree and get used to using weapon of choice before branching out. Look at videos describing weapons and what you might fit your play. 
    6. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Cover, Cover and more Cover. Pretend everything out there wants to kill you as it does. Holding the best weapon on the planet if your are standing straight up in the middle of a field looking for enemies to shoot. Even a 1 foot ditch will protect you. 
    7. Crouch: A) Makes you a smaller target B) Less noise, enemies can hear you if running while standing C) Less recoil on weapons. 
    8. Put cross-hairs on enemies before pulling trigger. Sounds obvious. It's not, at least for me. Once that bullet whizzes by them or grazes them, they will be looking for you. 
    9. If you surprise a group but they don't see you, it is OK to wait. 
    10. Cover, cover cover
    11. Enjoy!! No two games are ever the same. One of my favorite games was playing with one squadmate who was obviously new to the game. We just kept reviving each other, getting killed, spawning on each other, holding our own, and getting some decent kills too. 
    12. Stick it out even in bad games. You will learn to adjust to difficult situations to stay alive. These skills will help you even when experiencing great success. 
    13. Be patient and quick, but not TOO fast--unless you have to be. (You will learn what I mean by this)
    14. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.
    15. Learn to do that slight movement that looks goofy as hell--moving slightly foreward/backwards and side/side while aiming or standing. 
    16. Can learn to be prone and I am best at that but you have to learn where you can safely do that (See #6 and #10)
    17. STICK with your SQUAD. It is critical. Success comes with team work and I believe that is the basis of so many complaints on here.
    18. Ignore the complainers!!!! This game is a BLAST! Enjoy the little moments. I remember bleeding out in operation underground just admiring the details of the tiles on the wall. While frantically retreating across a bay to an island, I got bit by a shark. While setting up shop on a flank, I had a big rat about make me pee in my pants. A lot of care obviously went into the details of this game. It is fascinating visually (If they add snakes, I may be done with this game however)
    19. ADAPT, ADAPT, ADAPT, ADAPT
    20. cOVer, CoVER, COVER. . . . .  .   .    .     .         cover
  • the_yakuza17
    185 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'll put in my 2 cents...

When I first started, I was terrible, horrible, awful! I would say I'm above average now but certainly not a top player, especially K/D-wise. Keep in mind, K/D is not necessarily a good indicator of how good a player you are. It's like solely judging a car based on its horsepower. 

Like it was mentioned before, I would stick to one class and weapon until you get the hang of aiming and getting better situational awareness. Some may disagree but BF1 is NOT an easy game to just pick up and do well for the average player. It takes a lot of patience, grit, and time to get better. 

Medic Weapons to try:
    M1907 SL Sweeper - probably the most forgiving and easiest medic gun. It has it's limitations (not good at longer range) but using it will help you improve your aim. You can even set it to fully automatic if you prefer, although it's a pretty slow rate of fire. 

Autoloading 8 .25 Extended - similar to the M1907 SL Sweeper but has a little bit better range and a higher rate of fire. Semi-automatic fire only though so  you have to pull the trigger quickly sometimes affecting your aim. 

As a medic, know your role: giving health and reviving teammates, your MAIN job to help your team win not just get kills. Make sure you're carrying a syringe and either bandage pouches or bandage crates. You can often accrue a lot of points just healing and reviving, allowing you to rank up faster. 

Good luck and remember: just enjoy the game and have fun!
  • Titan_Awaken
    947 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well to be fair, the remaining people who still play BF1 are most likely max levels or high level players who know the maps, weapons and vehicles like the palm of their hand.

Also, if this is your first introduction to a Battlefield, it'll take some time getting used to but with enough experience, you'll be right up there in the big leagues.
  • Colstar
    Thanks peeps, appreciate the help and advice. The most frustrating thing is how other players seems to be able drop their sights on me in an instant while I'm waving my gun around trying to even get near them. I'm using an Xbox controller but grew up playing Doom, HalfLife and Unreal using a mouse and keys. Have found they fall a bit short as it is more useful having all the buttons in one place, it just feels a bit clumsey at present. :/
  • -Antares65z
    1728 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Imadis64 said:
    OMG, I never played any FPS on any console in my 55 yrs on this planet until about 13 months ago. Could not move, shoot or go to the bathroom. K/D must have been WELL less than 0.1 for the first few months. 
    We're around the same age and I've been playing on PC since the mid 90's. I've tried a few times to get use to a controller on a PS4, however I get completely pwned and eventually frustrated. What would you say your K/D is now?  With plenty of time on my hands now from Shelter In Place orders, perhaps I should give it another try.  Tired of dealing with the rampant cheating in these games. 
  • FFFHunter
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
  • Colt6940H
    I’m 58. First online game I have ever played. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ internet where I live. I sucked at first, and now I suck a little less. But, I’m addicted! It’s such a rush. The game is just amazing, so many maps, variations, great graphics, and the games are never the same.

Last November, I was in the Hungry. My hotel was a 5 minute walk from the Hungarian National Military Museum. The display of WWI weapons was excellent. They even had several Steyr M1912/1916 Machine Pistols. In fact, they had many of the weapons featured in BF1. If it wasn’t for this game, I wouldn’t have spent so much time in the museum looking at each individual weapon. The wife finally dragged me away, LOL.

• CStarfish9
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    Always try to spawn on planes or tanks in the start of match or take armored car from base. Avoid open spaces. Use smoke while reviving.
  • boutneus
    2479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 22
    Just use mortar truck or heavy bomber like the rest of the ‘pros’ ur KD will soar, I promise
  • Titan_Awaken
    947 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    boutneus said:
    Just use mortar truck or heavy bomber like the rest of the ‘pros’ ur KD will soar, I promise
    Mortar truck? Yes, even toddler could operate it and get a positive KD. Seriously though, the mortar truck reduces BF1 to a point and click adventure.

Heavy bomber? No because if the other team is even semi-competent, you'll go down in a minute or two tops. Hell, the combined effort of 4 Support players could probably bring one of these things down.
  • mongoeasy
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Heavy bomber? No because if the other team is even semi-competent, you'll go down in a minute or two tops. Hell, the combined effort of 4 Support players could probably bring one of these things down.
    Absolutely. Equip Burton, switch on fire ammo and hurt them real good. But every weapon helps. Just the other day I had a triple kill when I emptied a magazine of Farquhar in the belly of one of these. Sure it was luck, but I had a good laugh.
  • Imadis64
    114 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Imadis64 said:
    OMG, I never played any FPS on any console in my 55 yrs on this planet until about 13 months ago. Could not move, shoot or go to the bathroom. K/D must have been WELL less than 0.1 for the first few months. 
    We're around the same age and I've been playing on PC since the mid 90's. I've tried a few times to get use to a controller on a PS4, however I get completely pwned and eventually frustrated. What would you say your K/D is now?  With plenty of time on my hands now from Shelter In Place orders, perhaps I should give it another try.  Tired of dealing with the rampant cheating in these games. 
    I did wire the Xbox directly to the internet with an ethernet cable and my Ping runs about 10% better. 

But in addition to this, something just clicked recently. I would say most games in the past couple of weeks are greater than 1.5-2.0. I recently had a 56-28 game (EXACTLY a 2/1 K/D!!). Some of these games are partially in a tank, so I get a 35-5 every now and then. Never got the hang of planes. I usually don't care about my k/d, but once I found Battletracker, part of me is dying to get k/d over 1.0

My official K/D is now up to 0.80 and climbing relatively quickly. I have about 24,000 deaths so I have to get 240 more kills than deaths to even move up 0.01 in K/D. My 13 yo son plays too, so sometimes it backslides. 
  • disposalist
    8768 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Remember, a good KD is only half the story.

If you are actually being a good team player, that can involve healing more than killing. It can involve taking down planes, which often doesn't get a kill. It can involve taking down tanks, which often costs you more deaths than the kills you get.

There are lots of scenarios where you don't get a good KD and are much more of an influence on your team than a high KD, but selfish player.

You regularly see high KD players that have had little impact on the game, because they don't help on the objectives. They pick off enemy on their way to/from objectives, but don't get in there where it's dangerous (because they won't risk dying).

They will say "killing enemy *is* helping the team". Yeah. But not anywhere near as much as killing enemy *while playing the objectives* or even just helping others kill and survive *on the objectives*.
  • Colstar
    I guess. It's just a bit disheartening when my name is always at the bottom of the score table.
  • ckanitz
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 25
    Personally I like to play operations. Its more linear and combat is more predictable.

Jump in a tank with a repair tool, pick off people with tank weapons when the tank gets damaged get out and repair.

• Colstar
    Yeah, I agree and there seems more space to move and hide and yes, vehicles to jump in.