Community Broadcast - An Update on Updates

PartWelsh
72 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
edited March 30
Hey Folks,
‏‏‎ ‎
I’ll start by sharing a thank you from us all at DICE for your support in these recent weeks as we’ve made the change from working in our usual offices, to instead working at home. Since then more folks across the world have been asked to make similar changes to their lifestyle so from all of us, we hope you’re well, safe, and healthy.
‏‏‎ ‎
I otherwise wanted to check in with you all and give you an update on how the recent changes have affected our plans for Battlefield V, so that you know what to expect in the coming weeks.
‏‏‎ ‎
We presently believe that our next game update will be released in May.
‏‏‎ ‎
Initially, we were planning to release an update around the start of April, however with all of the changes and the need to create entirely new workflows, we found ourselves up against much more constrained timelines. The April update will now feature as a part of our next update, which we believe we will be able to release in May, alongside all of the changes that we were targeting making in May as well. The alternative option was to deliver April's update much later than we had planned, and subsequently cause a delay to May’s update. This way, we get a better quality update out to you, in an overall shorter timeframe vs. attempting to publish two updates and needing to delay both of them.
‏‏‎ ‎
Naturally this all may move and I’ll stay open and communicative with you on it should we learn of any further changes.
‏‏‎ ‎
What does this mean for April? Both Steve Fisher, and Akira Sakamoto will now debut with our May update, alongside the addition of Outpost to Twisted Steel, and more Vehicle Customization options that were originally planned to release during this next month.
‏‏‎ ‎
Our next update is otherwise in development right now. I’ll be able to share more with you throughout April about what we’re working on. In terms of some of the smaller stuff that will feature in that update that I can talk to you about today, we’re currently exploring a change to the end of round experience to help ensure that you’re playing in more populated servers, more often, and alongside players of similar skill. We’re also revisiting the colors used on some of our default soldier uniforms, and based entirely on your feedback, we’re looking at changing up the Transport Vehicle Skins used across our maps. All of this in addition to the regular swathe of fixes, improvements, and changes that we’ll talk more about some other time.
‏‏‎ ‎
I’ll be back with more updates through April.
‏‏‎ ‎
Stay Safe. Stay Home. Play the Objective.
‏‏‎ ‎
Freeman // PartWelsh
Post edited by EA_Tom on

Comments

• VeccZyy
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Good stuff Adam. Major respect to the team at EA/DICE for continuing to produce content and work on this game through these weird times we're experiencing. Stay safe!
  • shanerounce_ttv
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for all your hard work on improving an already fantastic game! Hope everyone over there in Sweden is safe!
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6322 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So basically we get no meaningful content in April at all?
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1534 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    i really hope the may update reverts the borderline redicioulus SMG drop of on the SMGs 20m is just not cutting it in this game at all. especially since the average engagement distance lies betewwn 22-25m if i recall your own statement correctly !
  • CT1924
    1354 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    "alongside players of similar skill."
    Yes yes yes!
    Also, revisting colours is nice.
    But balance! *visible happiness*
  • IDazzlerazzle
    541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Your new hot new live service content is gonna be rotating game modes... smh
  • fragnstein
    839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for the insight into what's in the works. I wish we had this kinda communication all along. Can you explain a little more on the end of round experience you mentioned?
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6322 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall said:

Even if they don't have anything new to add in the coming month aside from maybe some cosmetics, I don't see how it's much different from other games out there, especially after they're well over a year old.

Most BF titles in the past went months without content additions of any kind whatsoever between expansion/dlc pack releases. Most live service games out there get primarily nothing but cosmetics anyway, and BF5 had already added an absolute ton of content since launch despite only being out just over a year.

I can't think of any other live service game out there that had added 11 maps, 35 weapons, 16 vehicles, 2 playable factions, a dozen melee weapons, 3 gadgets, a Co OP mode, a battle royale mode, countless player/weapon/vehicle cosmetics, an extra single player story, a practice range, etc - all in just over a year, for free.

Forget that - throw the 35 weapons, 16 vehicles, countless cosmetics, and myriad of other content we've received thus far out of the picture - can anyone tell me another AAA live service FPS game that got ELEVEN maps in just over 1 year all for free, on top of a gigantic battle royale map? If anyone can, which I doubt, does the game in question have maps that are even remotely close to the scale and scope of your average BF map?

Hell, I can't think of a live service game that has added 3/4 of that amount of content without featuring paid loot boxes or a paid battle pass system that locks content behind a pay wall. BF5 is legitimately the only AAA live service FPS game to not feature predatory mtx practices like loot boxes or a battle pass system that essentially makes most of the "free" content in the game "paid".

It's legitimately the only live service game outside of Titanfall 2 that I've seen that has solely directly bought cosmetics as the only form of microtransactions in the entire game. Even past BF titles with paid content had loot boxes.

I understand people want more content, but it's people acting like we've essentially gotten nothing thus far that I have a problem with.

BF5 has legitimately accumulated the most dlc weapons, vehicles, cosmetics, and overall features a BF game has seen to date - so I can't stand it when people act like going an entire month without a new weapon/map/vehicle is some travesty. We got a new map, 3 new weapons, and 2 new gadgets literally less than 2 months ago, and just got tank customization after long last.

I guess what I ultimately want to know is this:

Where is this supposed golden child of Live Service games that is getting substantial content every single month and has surpassed what BF5 has already added? Because I've played and experienced the first year of the live service of most of them and I'm just not seeing it. Fortnite, Siege, Overwatch, TF2, SWBF2, Halo 5, Apex - they all had abysmal first years for a live service where the brunt of the content was player and weapon cosmetics and the most one of those games got in 1 year was maybe 4 maps and 3-4 weapons (2-3 characters/operators in Siege and OWs case).

Even Modern Warfare has JUST entered its most content-intensive period of its live service thus far and has already been out for 5 months (which is a LONG time in terms of COD, because it's literally going to have a replacement released holiday season of this year), and so far it's looking to be on track to not even ending its active life cycle with as much overall content as BF5 currently has.

I think the true issues lies in most people either not acknowledging/appreciating the scale and scope of the dlc we've already gotten in comparison to direct competition - or they legitimately don't even know how much content this game has objectively gotten. Either way it's sad, and not fair to BF5 in an objective sense.

Sure, people can express their dislike of certain content and insist they don't care about it - but that doesnt magically negate the existence of said content nor provide any proof that this game has too little content in comparison to any given game.

If BF5s live service is lacking in content at this point in its life cycle to the point where people are expecting something substantial and new every month, then every other live service game was doing exponentially worse at the same point in their life cycle, and most of them do exponentially worse to this day.

By late 2021 when the next BF title launches, BF5 is directly on track to ending up with the most overall dlc a BF game has ever gotten. Which is ironic, because one of the higher ups at DICE defended the shift to live service before the game's launch insisting that it'd end up with "BF4 levels of dlc content or even more", and people in the community laughed at such a claim. Here we are a year and a half later, and BF5 has nearly 2x as many dlc weapons as Bf4, 4x as many dlc vehicles as BF4, 200% more DLC factions, and probably 10x as many overall cosmetics as Bf4 - all for free - on top of over 2 Premium DLCs worth of maps.
    I don't really think I deserved such big reply.
    All I wanted to know if anything is going to be added during April or not. Didn't have the intention to bash the live service at all. Not like it's flawless and all that.
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I don't really think I deserved such big reply.
    All I wanted to know if anything is going to be added during April or not. Didn't have the intention to bash the live service at all. Not like it's flawless and all that.

It's more a venting of frustration at comments that are posted by people who seemingly at least had some sort of baseless expectation that this game would be/should be having something substantial or significant added every month despite no other game in the industry doing so. Which is why much of the comment presents questions posed in a way wherein they address the entire thread/community, rather than just yourself.

Among the overall community there is a positive response to this big delay caused by a horrible outbreak of disease across the world - but there are also plenty of people throwing shade at the decision and insisting the game is a content-bereft wasteland and that April will only worsen it. That needs to be addressed and DICE needs to be cut some slack at least once throughout the existence of this game.
  • GenesisMD5745
    544 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for your dedication and hard work to provide us with content and updates even during these dark times.

The delays are very understandable given the circumstances. I have more than enough stuff (at-home work and other activities) till the big May update anyway. Stay well everyone!
  • goztow
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So you're finally trying to do something about the balancing? Good news, better late than never!
  • TrueWebby
    122 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Focus on better anticheat it's trash right now.
  • jroggs
    1227 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's not encouraging to see that the most widely demanded fix since launch, i.e. team balance, is considered by DICE to be merely "smaller stuff" worthy only of "exploring."

But I guess that's better than the ostrich head-burying in regards to the second-most widely demanded fix.
  • ol_Bastrd5000
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Please buff the recoil on the MMG's, they are not viable right now with the high initial recoil because if you can't kill an enemy with the first initial shots, you are a sitting duck because you are stationary on the ground.
  • RebelliousKOOS
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    what i want to know is are you closing south african servers for bf5 so we must now play on eu servers with 200ping ?... if it is like that pls refund me and give me my money back so i can buy a game that can support south african gamers. its like selling us a ferarri and after we buy it u tell us its a ferrari body with a 50cc engine what a ripoff. 
  • ol_Bastrd5000
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When you say you are working on matching players into servers with similar skill level, please i hope you don't mean skill based match making, i just started playing BF5 again this week, so i don't know if you have been implementing SBMM already or not, but if you haven't please don't now, it will ruin the game like it did for COD modern warfare
  • BillBailey0
    110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Stay safe everyone, this can't last for ever, and just means we get more BF5 content later in the year.
  • Spectos90
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Finally I found a map-rotation with maps I enjoyed and  game-modus I loved playing. More infantry, less vehicles. 
    After chapter 6 week 8 was finished I had to delete the game. The new map-rotation (week 9), the amount of high-pingers, and often no-hit-reg, made me uninstall my game. The last 4-5 years I have only had 1 game at a time, and that was always the newest battlefield game from Dice. 

I have stayed loyal to Dice, even though they have disappointed me, and many of you, with broken promises and a broken game. 

I understand that I am only a drop in a ocean of battlefield 5 players, but for me personally, the game needs a anti-cheat system, max-ping levels, map voting, uprising map-rotation, working hit-reg, and of course balancing which we have been waiting for since the launch of the game. 

Dice, I am begging you, please listen to the gaming community, your paying customers, and many, for now, covid-19 quaranteenees. Give us the game you know you can make, and promised your now and future customers. Let us again play and praise the game we love, instead of shouting at our screens or even worse, deleting the game. 

-Spectos, a former and hopefully soon again, battlefield gamer-