Knee sliding.

Comments

• GigaBrainGamer
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

First of all, movement in BF1 is ridiculously hindered compared to BFV. It's sluggish to the point I feel like I'm weighted down. SWBF2 has better movement than BF1. Dodge roll anyone? Good thing we don't have that in BFV mixed with crouch sliding.

BF1 started off with BFV sliding mechs. It got abused to the T and ppl (not surprisingly) complained players we're "abusing" mechanics therefore DICE took action and nerf'd it into obliteration. Now, sliding in BF1 is like sliding into a thick concrete pool. You literally go nowhere and your recovery movement is slightly hindered. Not to mention, in BF1, you can not jump shoot players either. Try jumping up and down where you stand, shoot someone, you will look like a clown and die trying.

Sliding is also part of "survival" when you need to get away from direct / indirect fire. Why? because I refuse to be a statue for anyone to shoot at weather it's crouch running (which is a joke anyway) that also hinders movement. Zig zag? Yea, not going to work as much. Jumping up and down, zig zagging...again, you're hindering your own movement for them to kill you easily. You may as well paint a huge bullseye on your back. Nerf the ONLY mechanic that can throw off a shooters aim and we'll be right where BF1 movement is right now. Talk about BFV being dead? You have no idea how dead BFV will be is sliding gets it's nerf along with a recovery / movement penalty sliding thereafter.

I can agree that sliding up concrete stairs or sliding backwards when timed right shouldn't be as that. I've personally never tried the sliding backwards but anything sliding to get away from incoming fire, I'll do my best to avoid being a "easy target".

Do I expect everyone to kill me while crouch sliding? No. I've survived more times sprinting and crouch sliding out of fire more than trying to zig zag my way through out of it.

Everyone needs to understand how much more freedom we have with movement compared to BF4 and BF1. So, question is, how do you deal with players who slide around corners, up stairs, backwards or slide shooting / melee mechanics? There really isn't s definite answer to that, you have to adapt to the sliding mech, slide shooting, slide melee meta. It's been part of the game since launch and I don' think DICE will hinder that movement anytime soon. They know how bad the movement mechanics are in BF1 and I doubt they will make BFV the same way.

• Magikf1ngers
    253 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Knee sliding doesn't belong in Battlefield.  It's an annoying and distracting mechanic that isn't implemented correctly anyway.
    Just a BFV version of 'dolphin diving'.
    Which has never belonged in Battlefield, either.  
  • Magikf1ngers
    253 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

stagville said:
    Knee sliding doesn't belong in Battlefield.  It's an annoying and distracting mechanic that isn't implemented correctly anyway.
    It does belong in battlefield. 
    No, it actually doesn't.  It didn't in BF1 - and it doesn't in V or any other version.  It's a cheap trick that I can't even fathom what anyone was thinking when they put it in the game.  The only game it remotely worked in was the Titanfall series (at least that I played) and that made sense because the suits / jet boosters are what made it possible.  

Show me ONE footage of real combat from World War I or II where someone slid on their knees the way it works in the game, and then I'll accept that maybe it belongs in the game.  Sarcasm and doctored video aren't allowed.  It's an unrealistic POS mechanic that is a gimmick and doesn't belong in the game.  What kept me from spending my normal level of gaming in BF1 was the gimmicks in it (that's MY opinion - I know it's not the popular one).  Things like the trains, the horseback riders, the unrealistic weapons that weren't available in WWI, etc.  It's not that I'm looking for ultra realism, but something founded in realism.  That wasn't even close.  The knee sliding was an element of that.  

It's like DICE decided to take useful features out (server rentals, team balance, anti-cheat, etc) and replace them with nonsense gimmicks and cheap cosmetics that you have to pay for.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

So - I tell you what.  Go outside, get into a full on sprint, then try to knee slide while firing a weapon and hitting your target.  

A:  You won't slide.  You'll wind up tearing through any trousers you have and the first 10 layers of flesh on your knees and shin.
    B:  Not only will you not slide, but you'll come to a complete stop, after going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ over teakettle on your face.  
    C:  The ONLY time it might remotely work like it is in the game is if you're sliding through a ton of mud, but even then, you'd sink while you slid.  Same goes for snow. 
    D:  After all of that, you'd have to be able to get up and run away, without becoming someone's easy target.  

It's a BS mechanic that doesn't belong in Battlefield.  It's like someone said before this - it's like being out in combat, fighting for your life, only to have Bugs Bunny come sliding through, eating a carrot, pointing his finger at you saying, "bang bang" and having everyone on your team drop dead. It's a gimmick.  100%.
    And then turn while sliding...
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
  • Mishkin37
    833 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    So - I tell you what.  Go outside, get into a full on sprint, then try to knee slide while firing a weapon and hitting your target.  

A:  You won't slide.  You'll wind up tearing through any trousers you have and the first 10 layers of flesh on your knees and shin.
    B:  Not only will you not slide, but you'll come to a complete stop, after going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ over teakettle on your face.  
    C:  The ONLY time it might remotely work like it is in the game is if you're sliding through a ton of mud, but even then, you'd sink while you slid.  Same goes for snow. 
    D:  After all of that, you'd have to be able to get up and run away, without becoming someone's easy target.  

It's a BS mechanic that doesn't belong in Battlefield.  It's like someone said before this - it's like being out in combat, fighting for your life, only to have Bugs Bunny come sliding through, eating a carrot, pointing his finger at you saying, "bang bang" and having everyone on your team drop dead. It's a gimmick.  100%.

Good points! And take video of your trials when you test this.

I guess if there were a map completely covered in ice, sliding would be fine.
  • HillbillyJohn
    510 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm a Battlefield nut and could overlook some of the other issues in the game but the sliding totally kills the atmosphere of the game for me.
  • tempo_rarity
    1378 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @ ShadowOnTh3Sun (cool name btw)
    It was fun to place C4 on my LAV's front-end before I drove it into battle in BfP4f .
    It 'unintentionally' acted as Reactive Armor as any attack on me detonated those C4 charges and nullified Enemy efforts .
    I could do it ; "it (was) in the Game" but it was highly unfair to other Players and it was therefore a borderline if not straight-up 'cheat' , at least to me .
    I tried it out for a while of course but it wasn't a regular thing (I was really good in LAVs anyway , I didn't need the crutch)

Whenever I see a Slider in BFV sliding as fast as the animation allows while running across some open space , they are that C4'd LAV in BfP4f .
    There's no 'need' for it , yet , there it is .

@ sabootheshaman
    Do you push the assistive 'Door Open' button as a perfectly healthy individual fully capable of opening the door yourself ?
    If I saw you do that as a passerby there's a good chance that I'd cast a 'certain look' your way .
    Why?
    For all you know , you may have just used the last 'life' of that button - in a few minutes a real ,  physically handicapped person will need that button to work , but . .
    It was there , right? 

. . .

These 'maths' may seem inconsequential or even "insane" , yet , they are everpresent in the Game(s).

In 'laymans' terms : 
    A Slide  into cover  is meant to save you from a bullet or two  in a dire situation .
    Anything else (sliding everywhere) is you slapping C4 all over yourself - you do it to avoid a bullet or two , from anywhere , ALL the time .
    It's an R-n-G crutch .
    . . . but hey , "It's IN the Game , so-o . ."
    (hence the threads)
  • GigaBrainGamer
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

First of all, movement in BF1 is ridiculously hindered compared to BFV. It's sluggish to the point I feel like I'm weighted down. SWBF2 has better movement than BF1. Dodge roll anyone? Good thing we don't have that in BFV mixed with crouch sliding.

BF1 started off with BFV sliding mechs. It got abused to the T and ppl (not surprisingly) complained players we're "abusing" mechanics therefore DICE took action and nerf'd it into obliteration. Now, sliding in BF1 is like sliding into a thick concrete pool. You literally go nowhere and your recovery movement is slightly hindered. Not to mention, in BF1, you can not jump shoot players either. Try jumping up and down where you stand, shoot someone, you will look like a clown and die trying.

Sliding is also part of "survival" when you need to get away from direct / indirect fire. Why? because I refuse to be a statue for anyone to shoot at weather it's crouch running (which is a joke anyway) that also hinders movement. Zig zag? Yea, not going to work as much. Jumping up and down, zig zagging...again, you're hindering your own movement for them to kill you easily. You may as well paint a huge bullseye on your back. Nerf the ONLY mechanic that can throw off a shooters aim and we'll be right where BF1 movement is right now. Talk about BFV being dead? You have no idea how dead BFV will be is sliding gets it's nerf along with a recovery / movement penalty sliding thereafter.

I can agree that sliding up concrete stairs or sliding backwards when timed right shouldn't be as that. I've personally never tried the sliding backwards but anything sliding to get away from incoming fire, I'll do my best to avoid being a "easy target".

Do I expect everyone to kill me while crouch sliding? No. I've survived more times sprinting and crouch sliding out of fire more than trying to zig zag my way through out of it.

Everyone needs to understand how much more freedom we have with movement compared to BF4 and BF1. So, question is, how do you deal with players who slide around corners, up stairs, backwards or slide shooting / melee mechanics? There really isn't s definite answer to that, you have to adapt to the sliding mech, slide shooting, slide melee meta. It's been part of the game since launch and I don' think DICE will hinder that movement anytime soon. They know how bad the movement mechanics are in BF1 and I doubt they will make BFV the same way.

You are using real life scenarios. Picking apart what is done in a video game should not be compared to IRL scenarios. This is why BF has NEVER been a MILSIM.You would basically have BF1 movements if you either remove or add a movement penalty to sliding. Do you not see that? And I can tell you anyone who plays BF1 and says the movement is good, are lying to themselves. For your perspective, this is what BF1 movement is like.

Bayonet charge - recovery and movement penalty after charge (~3 seconds of hindered movement as bayonet charge icon refills)

Sliding - movement and recovery penalty (worst movement in BF history)

Cannot leap through unbroken windows like BFV - movement penalty

Base movement - slow and sluggish

Please explain how YOU would further improve movement mechanics after either removing sliding or add movement penalty and/or recovery to/after sliding while other than being able to jump, sprint, leap and crouch run without sliding to survive incoming direct or indirect fire while in a open field with little to no cover? What would you suggest, turn around and shoot back and hopefully your aim is better? Zig zag and jumping while sprinting? If you can still crouch slide to cover while being fired at and you have the opportunity to do so, you wouldn't because crouch sliding shouldn't be in the game? You ever crouch slide behind cover at the last second before you're killed and survive and think "Phew, that was close, If I hadn't slid into cover, I'd be dead!" Do you yourself refuse to conduct the sliding mechanic even if your own survival depends on it? Or do you actually use it but just being a hypocrite to those who do use it?

• Red_Label_Scotch
    What about "false dichotomy" and "strawman argument?"  You said nothing about those either!
  • fragnstein
    836 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

I tell YOU what. Get head shot by a tiger tank and let a "medic" stab you with a needle. Tell me how that turns out.

Jump off 2nd story building a do a barrel roll, see if you get hurt.

Try vaulting a barbed wire roll, see how far you get.

Jump from a 50 foot bridge and open a parachute to land safely, let me know how well that chute deploys

Nothing wrong with need sliding
  • TeamHOFF86
    301 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What I don't understand is how developers haven't managed to find and settle on a good movement "feel", and are constantly making fairly drastic changes from one title to the next that completely change the way that the soldier movement feels.

Evolution is good, I just don't feel as though they've found their ideal base upon which to build from.
  • IDazzlerazzle
    541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm a Battlefield nut and could overlook some of the other issues in the game but the sliding totally kills the atmosphere of the game for me.
    What you're not into players sliding 90 degree around corners ? :D
  • DingoKillr
    4352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    fragnstein wrote: »
    (Quote)

I tell YOU what. Get head shot by a tiger tank and let a "medic" stab you with a needle. Tell me how that turns out.

Jump off 2nd story building a do a barrel roll, see if you get hurt.

Try vaulting a barbed wire roll, see how far you get.

Jump from a 50 foot bridge and open a parachute to land safely, let me know how well that chute deploys

Nothing wrong with need sliding
    That is funny on what is BF.
    I remember BF3/4 hoppers acrossing fields and jumping around corners with no penalties. Yet that seems to be BF OK
  • sabootheshaman
    1259 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 18
    @ ShadowOnTh3Sun (cool name btw)
    It was fun to place C4 on my LAV's front-end before I drove it into battle in BfP4f .
    It 'unintentionally' acted as Reactive Armor as any attack on me detonated those C4 charges and nullified Enemy efforts .
    I could do it ; "it (was) in the Game" but it was highly unfair to other Players and it was therefore a borderline if not straight-up 'cheat' , at least to me .
    I tried it out for a while of course but it wasn't a regular thing (I was really good in LAVs anyway , I didn't need the crutch)

Whenever I see a Slider in BFV sliding as fast as the animation allows while running across some open space , they are that C4'd LAV in BfP4f .
    There's no 'need' for it , yet , there it is .

@ sabootheshaman
    Do you push the assistive 'Door Open' button as a perfectly healthy individual fully capable of opening the door yourself ?
    If I saw you do that as a passerby there's a good chance that I'd cast a 'certain look' your way .
    Why?
    For all you know , you may have just used the last 'life' of that button - in a few minutes a real ,  physically handicapped person will need that button to work , but . .
    It was there , right? 

. . .

These 'maths' may seem inconsequential or even "insane" , yet , they are everpresent in the Game(s).

In 'laymans' terms : 
    A Slide  into cover  is meant to save you from a bullet or two  in a dire situation .
    Anything else (sliding everywhere) is you slapping C4 all over yourself - you do it to avoid a bullet or two , from anywhere , ALL the time .
    It's an R-n-G crutch .
    . . . but hey , "It's IN the Game , so-o . ."
    (hence the threads)

Your hypotheticals are totally off base. (content removed by moderator)

You compared sliding to criminal behaviour. Go play ARMA or get gud.
    Post edited by Carbonic on
  • HillbillyJohn
    510 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't understand what the 'learn to aim' and 'get gud' comments have to do with players abusing a game mechanic.
  • sabootheshaman
    1259 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't understand what the 'learn to aim' and 'get gud' comments have to do with players abusing a game mechanic.

It’s the meta. You are complaining about a technique some players use to play the game. Clearly because you are blaming it for your poor performances. Of course people will say that.

Same as everyone complaining about the TTK in the past. Stop blaming everyone and everything else for your failures.
  • Mishkin37
    833 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I guess the sliding shows just how hard it is to program movements.

Is it impossible to alter movements for different surfaces?

Now that I think about it, your character’s speed doesn’t change, whether he/she is running on grass, hardwood floor, mud or jungle cover, right? How about knee-deep water? Can you still sprint? I’ve never thought about it.