BF4 vs BF1

PSJackman4
186 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
In my opinion, I find BF1 to be better, because I find the time period, the maps, the guns, and the vehicles more interesting than BF4. I dunno but I don't really like BF4 that much. For some reason, I don't like modern battlefield games as a whole. If the next BF game is modern, then I will probably skip it. 

Comments

• TectonicGuns
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In my opinion, I find BF1 to be better, because I find the time period, the maps, the guns, and the vehicles more interesting than BF4. I dunno but I don't really like BF4 that much. For some reason, I don't like modern battlefield games as a whole. If the next BF game is modern, then I will probably skip it. 
    Too bad BF1'S conquest scoring system is so awful. 

• llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Why are you posting it here though?
  • PSJackman4
    186 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why are you posting it here though?
    I figured that most people are on the BFV discussions page sooooo.
  • CSO7777
    1762 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There is already a thread in the BF1 forums regarding BF1 vs BFV...

BF4 is not perfect, BF1 is probably a better game quality wise, but BF1s elites, behemoths, bombers etc. make the game-play much more frustrating than BF4 (which has tons of issues as well).

BF4 has a way of removing your frustrations by being fun to play, this is missing from newer titles.

• Noodlesocks
    3593 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I prefer Battlefield 1.

Could never really get in to Battlefield 4. Too many lock ons, thermals, ammo/health regen on vehicles and a lot of the fun things that could be done in the game was removed or nerfed over time.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1540 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF4 is by far the superior game, despite its flaws. BF1 is barely a Battlefield game, IMO. It lacks the essence of previous games to a large extent and just feels watered down in every single aspect. BFV lacks that essence completely. Literally at the end of its lifecycle it still feels like it's in beta.
  • TropicPoison
    2505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF4 is by far the superior game, despite its flaws. BF1 is barely a Battlefield game, IMO. It lacks the essence of previous games to a large extent and just feels watered down in every single aspect. BFV lacks that essence completely. Literally at the end of its lifecycle it still feels like it's in beta.

I completely disagree I felt more immersion in BF1 than any Battlefield game to date, the maps play pretty great there's a good variety of them, and watered down? Maybe with the lack of attachements and the amount of guns but I would in no way say it's 'watered down' and at the end of it's life cycle feeling like a beta? Come on now. And what is BFV then pre-alpha? It doesn't even deserve to have the name Battlefield in the title imo, that's how far I feel it is from past Battlefield games including BF1.

Hell I had way more fun in hardline than I did in BFV and it had a better campaign, it would have done better had it not had Battlefield in its title.
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF4 wins by a large margin just for its RSP implementation.

Also imagine that we went from that not so popular server browser to a UI that do not 'have the tech' to even let players select among the available game modes. Remeber when joining on a friend was no problem, or anyone for that matter? Remeber when you could see who was playing and the whole scoreboard on a server without joining it? Remeber when you could play on one server and still be in the queue on another one? BF1 was just a step on the way in this downfall. Gunplay was also better in BF4 than in BF1 imo.

The progression system also started to go downhill in BF1 with random medal assignments and other non welcome random elements. They probably got their hands on a really cheap random generator when they did BF1 so they used it for everything.

Immersion is kind of a peronal preference thing but I felt like I was playing a WW2 game when I played BF1. It was so dominated by automatic fire. It did not matter much to me as it is more fun from a game perspective with a mix but I can't say it felt very WW1'ish. Add to that the gas which was a horrible mechanic in every aspect.
  • RealAshWilliams
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Yea I agree. Bf4 excellent battlefield with private servers (Procon), introduction of the CTE and excellent developer involvement with the creation of the community map. Nostalgy.
    Bf1  is more casual, a sniperland....all the clans who have abandoned battalfield with bf1. 
  • TheNoobPolice
    1613 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Not to mention BF4 has awful hit reg by comparison
  • Titan_Awaken
    1183 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    olavafar said:
    BF4 wins by a large margin just for its RSP implementation.

Also imagine that we went from that not so popular server browser to a UI that do not 'have the tech' to even let players select among the available game modes. Remeber when joining on a friend was no problem, or anyone for that matter? Remeber when you could see who was playing and the whole scoreboard on a server without joining it? Remeber when you could play on one server and still be in the queue on another one? BF1 was just a step on the way in this downfall. Gunplay was also better in BF4 than in BF1 imo.

The progression system also started to go downhill in BF1 with random medal assignments and other non welcome random elements. They probably got their hands on a really cheap random generator when they did BF1 so they used it for everything.

Immersion is kind of a peronal preference thing but I felt like I was playing a WW2 game when I played BF1. It was so dominated by automatic fire. It did not matter much to me as it is more fun from a game perspective with a mix but I can't say it felt very WW1'ish. Add to that the gas which was a horrible mechanic in every aspect.
    Though I skipped 4, I played 3 almost religiously so I do tend to agree with most of what you have to say. 

Except for that last paragraph. It's less of a flaw and more a nitpick (please pardon the wording. I don't mean this is as an insult). 

Yes there is an abundance of automatic weapons in the game; there is no denying that. However, if DICE went the way of full WW1 immersion, the game would be significantly less fun to play. For starters, a vast percentage of your deaths would be due to indirect artillery fire, the maps would essentially be limited to trench warfare and you would slowly lose HP over time as a result of any diseases you contracted (gangrene for example). That gas you described as "horrible" would be even more abundant. There would be significantly less weapon variety (instead replaced by standard issue rifles) and most of the support LMGs would be stationary placements because the weight would be way too heavy for a single soldier to carry. Tanks would break down frequently and get permanently stuck on terrain and you would have to ditch it. 

I could go on but you probably get the point. While all this would make for a very immersive WW1 experience, it would not be fun to play at all and if a game isn't fun to play, it's not a good game. BF1 lies in the Goldilocks zone of immersion and fun. It retains a nice amount of the WW1 source material and is still a fun game to play.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
     because I find the time period, the maps, the guns, and the vehicles more interesting than BF4. 
    I do like the world war 1 atmosphere(there is no doubt that BF1 is ahead of Bf4 in terms of visuals and audio), but there is no comparison between old weapons and modern ones. It is linear progression. Bf4 wins by a landslide.
    I dunno but I don't really like BF4 that much. 

Thanks for the input. We care 100%.

I hope the next BF game is modern military, post vietnam(not too far ahead in the future though, I'd still want a realistic timeline) so we get to experience the full arsenal of military technology. We need deep weapon customization and various gadgets. I think we've earned it after BF1 and BFV where those aspects were at best lackluster.

I'd even settle for a 60-80 cold war timeline tbh. I just want modern weapons.

• disposalist
    8916 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BF1 is barely a Battlefield game
    Just... lolz.

What do you think "Battlefield" is that BF1 isn't?
  • TyroneLoyd_TV
    1724 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Bf1 is solid for what it is. I dont particularly enjoy it (cheezy mechanics) but its def a good game. Never liked bf4 as it just felt like a way more convoluted version of bf3(my second fav bf). Too many gadgets too many attachments doing the same thing. Vehicle dominance along with salty server admins kicking you for destroying there aircraft with a igla(or equivalent). Jump strafing spam , ir spam, just blah. Is it a good game sure but I can't stand the clutter.

Both are good in there own way but I don't compare them.
  • Ronin9572
    1215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

By "essence" you mean a modern shooter right?
  • MarxistDictator
    5174 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF4 has its own eyebrow raising mechanics, like mobility hits and countermeasures failing on purpose for ‘fairness’. The majority of the vanilla maps are just straight terrible because they were built around watching something blow up or fall down and not actual gameplay. Basically every single gun is the same with the lazy BF3 continuation of gunplay only with first shot recoil added. Also for console the lack of FoV sliders is just uuuegeh to go back to.

But elite classes exist so obviously BF4 is the better game
  • ashar_saleem121
    1344 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF4 has its own eyebrow raising mechanics, like mobility hits and countermeasures failing on purpose for ‘fairness’. The majority of the vanilla maps are just straight terrible because they were built around watching something blow up or fall down and not actual gameplay. Basically every single gun is the same with the lazy BF3 continuation of gunplay only with first shot recoil added. Also for console the lack of FoV sliders is just uuuegeh to go back to.

But elite classes exist so obviously BF4 is the better game

BF4 has the most weapons and attachments in a game Ive seen that pretty much do the same thing. You can tap fire any gun to any distance, all that matters is how long you hold the trigger. At least in BF1, every gun feels somewhat different with pros and cons and you have to learn how to play with each

The vehicles in BF4 are way way way more annoying than in BF1. Theyre faster and there are more of them. In a lot of maps as infantry youre essentially just fodder. I know some people like that but as someone who likes a fair fight between two opponents, it gets annoying super fast.

Camping snipers on rooftops is much more prevalent in BF4. In BF1, there arent too many spots a sniper can go camp without there being a way to go get them as infantry. The roof on Ballroom is one that is slightly difficult, but still possible. On BF4 however, there are maps which are nothing but rooftops and then you add in helicopters and spawn beacons and it's a campers dream. I hate, hate, hate rooftop campers and how they ruin normal gameplay.

Ironically, snipers as a class are way worse in BF4. Hilariously slow bullet velocity and immense bullet drop. At least in BF1, the velocities were slightly more realistic and on console you can play aggressive more viably because of the spread on other guns. That balanced classes out really well.

And then the most casual of all casual game mechanics, audio spotting. For people who were annoyed that people just kept pressing Q to spot you on the map, I dont know how you can excuse audio spotting being a feature in BF4. At least in BF1 you have to press a button. So until you unlock a suppressor, there is nothing you can do to prevent being on the map at all times.

For most people, the only 2 arguments people have in favor of BF4 is modern weapons and attachments, and nostalgia. Both of which I understand as valid reasons for liking a game more.

If you liked having a ton of customization on your guns, I get it. That's what you like. But don't say that BF1 wasn't a good game because it didn't have 30 different suppressors that all did the same thing.
  • DC_E63
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The balancing seems much worse in BF1.
  • disposalist
    8916 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    DC_E63 said:
    The balancing seems much worse in BF1.
    The balancing was just as terrible in BF4. The whole 'ticket bleed' thing is just a perception difference. There were just as many one-sided landslides in BF4, if not more. That you might have 'felt' like you still had a chance in BF4 because 'ticket bleed', was an illusion.

I know in BF1 teams sometimes give up as soon as their team goes 50 points down, but that's down to them, not the ticket system. I'm not sure it was better to have more 'hope' of a comeback in BF4 and really string out those painful one-sided games *shrug*.

The essential problem was the same in both. The skill balancing systems were crap.

Also, allowing team switching makes balancing almost impossible. Not splitting squads makes balancing almost impossible. A crappy lobby system where the game allocates players while seemingly not knowing who is leaving or joining makes balancing almost impossible. Mid-round balancing that is too slow to act makes balancing almost impossible.

So many things DICE could have had the guts to address but didn't.

The only advantage BF4 had is the servers being much more controllable. Private servers would at least allow admin to shuffle the teams randomly when it was clear balancing had failed.
  • DC_E63
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Can't forget about how the loading times are much longer in BF1.