Is Battlefield 1 worth buying/playing in 2020?

DavidGB291
1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited May 8
So I've just about given up on BFV (mainly after the announcement from EA/DICE).
I'm looking into trying BF1, especially seeing as I can get BF1Revalution for £8, but I'm wondering how active the player base is and how full servers are and if it is actually worth buying and playing in 2020??
I'll be playing on Xbox One, playing conquest and operations.

Comments

• BadWellzy89
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Come to bf1. Its way superior. I'm on xbox and play daily for multiple hours on operations.There are plenty of packed European and East Coast USA servers (what I play on) just remember to filter your server browser with game modes, maps and slots. It's way better than quick match.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1314 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Visually 100% Game looks decent, not much different than BFV, surpasses it when it comes to photorealistic scenery imo. 
    As for gameplay, it lacks certain practicalities and improvements BFV had, but it is still decent.
    If you can get it cheap, it is a sure buy.
  • Ronin9572
    1157 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Visually 100% Game looks decent, not much different than BFV, surpasses it when it comes to photorealistic scenery imo. 
    As for gameplay, it lacks certain practicalities and improvements BFV had, but it is still decent.

Crouch running and vaulting were the only improvements imho. Greasy butt sliding and over animations ruined it for me!
  • disposalist
    8849 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited May 8
    Ronin9572 said:

Crouch running and vaulting were the only improvements imho. Greasy butt sliding and over animations ruined it for me!
    Yep. Like with many things in BF5, they totally over-did it with the movement changes. Some nice development ideas, BUT the parcours, sliding and ADAD dancing is just ridiculously over-the-top.
  • CSO7777
    1717 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 has a lot of active players, in Europe there are a lot of full conquest-servers in the evenings (30+ which means perhaps 2000+ players online just in europe).
  • PSJackman4
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For the love of god, get BF1. It is one of the best BF games ever created. 
  • opsis_1
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes buy it..bf1 servers are strong, even now 4 yrs later . The game is a masterpiece! DICE did good on this one!
  • CSO7777
    1717 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 24
    Just wanna say, that BF1 is also a very strange BF-title. Calling it a masterpiece is perhaps going too far.

BF1 is overall a good game (the "atmosphere" of WW1 just works), but it has many elements that can be pretty annoying, the gun-play has over the top RBD, elite-classes and Behemoths are pretty annoying, the balance is worse than BFV, bombers are at least as bad as in BFV (perhaps even worse), sniper-sweetspots is awful and the grenade spam is pretty bad on some maps.

It can be as frustrating as BFV, but it is probably more fun though and the game has a lot of 'soul' compared to BFV.
  • PSJackman4
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 said:
    Just wanna say, that BF1 is also a very strange BF-title. Calling it a masterpiece is perhaps going too far.

BF1 is overall a good game (the "atmosphere" of WW1 just works), but it has many elements that can be pretty annoying, the gun-play has over the top RBD, elite-classes and Behemoths are pretty annoying, the balance is worse than BFV, bombers are at least as bad as in BFV (perhaps even worse), sniper-sweetspots is awful and the grenade spam is pretty bad on some maps.

It can be as frustrating as BFV, but it is probably more fun though and the game has a lot of 'soul' compared to BFV.

Yes the balancing and the the bloody bombers were very annoying, but I found the elites and behemoths to be a good addition. It made the game more interesting and gave it more pizzaz compared to earlier titles. I've played BF4 before, but I found it kind of bland. It was just the generic USA vs China and Russia, I just find that to be so overdone. I will pick the game up again and give it a second chance., but for now Im sticking to BF1 and COD MW 2019.  BF1 was just so fresh because WW1 is a time period rarely touched upon in games, and I believe that EA and Dice did it perfectly. 
  • Prep768
    3470 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Playing it right now, join in! 
  • Ronin9572
    PSJackman4 wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Yes the balancing and the the bloody bombers were very annoying, but I found the elites and behemoths to be a good addition. It made the game more interesting and gave it more pizzaz compared to earlier titles. I've played BF4 before, but I found it kind of bland. It was just the generic USA vs China and Russia, I just find that to be so overdone. I will pick the game up again and give it a second chance., but for now Im sticking to BF1 and COD MW 2019.  BF1 was just so fresh because WW1 is a time period rarely touched upon in games, and I believe that EA and Dice did it perfectly. 

This exactly! The only thing that was annoying to me was the arty truck because you couldn't counter it. BF4 was bland to me as well, and having to deal with launch and the issues for months and that just ruined the game for me. BF1 like you said was fresh and I rarely say this but EA did a great job!
  • PSJackman4
    Ronin9572 said:
    (Quote)

This exactly! The only thing that was annoying to me was the arty truck because you couldn't counter it. BF4 was bland to me as well, and having to deal with launch and the issues for months and that just ruined the game for me. BF1 like you said was fresh and I rarely say this but EA did a great job!
    Dont get me wrong BF4 was pretty fun at some points, especially Siege of Shanghai, but it was just boring and unimaginative IMO. When I played BF4 for the first time, I thought "Huh. It feels like I have already played this before." BF4 recycled the USA vs Communists formula that we have seen a million times before. Come up with something new! But with BF1 that game was fresh and it was practically a blank piece of paper that new ideas could be written on.  
  • Ronin9572
    (Quote)
    Dont get me wrong BF4 was pretty fun at some points, especially Siege of Shanghai, but it was just boring and unimaginative IMO. When I played BF4 for the first time, I thought "Huh. It feels like I have already played this before." BF4 recycled the USA vs Communists formula that we have seen a million times before. Come up with something new! But with BF1 that game was fresh and it was practically a blank piece of paper that new ideas could be written on.  

BF4 turned out to be a really good game, just took awhile. But like you said it just had that "already played this before"feel. Plus after like a decade of modern shooters for me I needed a change. For me all the guns felt the same and most ppl just used the same loadouts and mods. That's why BF1 was a complete thrill of fresh air for me!
  • M_Rat13
    1501 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 is the most Battlefield game to ever Battlefield. If you want such an experience, get it. If, however, you want a run and gun shooter, look elsewhere.
  • disposalist
    8849 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I really enjoyed BF4, even though the modern warfare thing got very tired as all weapons could tap-tap kill across the map and gadgets were more powerful than tactics.

BF1 is loads better though :)
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6182 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 is a complete game. BFV will never be one. Unfortunately, that's how it is.
  • Safaripilot77
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    just just reinstalled battlefield 1, played a few matches, the last two were ruined by two hackers killing everyone and using aimbots, so I just uninstalled it again, shame really was looking forward to playing it again but not worth it if the matches are like that.
  • PackersDK
    860 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    just just reinstalled battlefield 1, played a few matches, the last two were ruined by two hackers killing everyone and using aimbots, so I just uninstalled it again, shame really was looking forward to playing it again but not worth it if the matches are like that.

Get an Xbox or PS4 if you want to play any BF game :-) 
  • Ronin9572
    PackersDK wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Get an Xbox or PS4 if you want to play any BF game :-) 

This was the main reason I switched to PS4 from PC for most online games! Cheaters, hackers, and mods. While modding can be fun for some, you usually ruin someone else's experience