why is my K/D so bad in BF1?

23 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited May 13
I listen to tips on the internet about battlefield 1 all the time, and I listen to them and implement them, such as throwing a grenade at an enemy controlled-house, got no kills, flank around and get killed by an enemy in front of me with a pistol as his weapon and a MP-18 as mine. HOW? And no just in this encounter, but in seemingly EVERY OTHER ENCOUNTER IN THE GAME I SUCK AS. Some real tips please?
Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on

Comments

• CSO7777
    1717 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF is pretty chaotic and engagements can be hard to control. Stay with your team instead of going rambo. In general, go slow instead of rushing, especially until you have learned how the game works.

Remember all guns have a different playstyles. You cannot go "close quarters" with a sniper rifle. Use the guns for what they are good at.

Use the best guns, even though a lot of people think they are cheap. For CQC use the SMG-08/18, Automatico, Parabellum or even a shotgun. Mid-range has more options, but assault struggles at mid-range, so play support or medic instead.

And sidearms are pretty strong in BF1, the MP18 is a slow firing SMG and an enemy with good aim and a good sidearm can be a worthy opponent. The MP18 is very good in the right hands, but it's not really the easiest SMG to play with. Of course you have to unlock the other weapons (by "grinding"), but as soon as you get "better" guns, use them.

Aim is very important (especially one-on-one). Make sure your mouse-settings are right and then practice, practice, practice.

If you keep playing and are willing learn by your mistakes (instead of raging), you will get a lot better pretty fast.
  • Ronin9572
    1157 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What platform are you on? What's your ping? Have you played FPS before? Do you use a headset, because speakers don't really help you hear where ppl are and where their shooting from. Let's not forget this game is 3 1/2 yrs old. Ppl know every inch of these maps, and every weapon as well. Scouts have spotting flares so you can be visible on the map and not even know it. Plus you can also use the spot button to mark enemies as well. I was absolutely terrible when I started like around a .5 KD. Now I'm slightly better at 1.5-1.8(multiple accounts). But a high KD ratio isn't the most important thing. While it's very good I feel when your playing(and learning) helping out your squad/team mates is more important. Just be patient and don't get to bothered if your KD is low and just try to learn and have fun!
    The title of the forum question is, "How can I improve my k/d ratio?" Forget about conquest for a second. What about Team Deathmatch? Also I can't get an SMG-08/18, Automatico, Parabellum Carbine, because I just downloaded the game 2 days ago and I only have access to only the starting weapons. Could you please give me some tips to level up enough to get those good weapons? Are there any good guides for starters? For actual gameplay, annoyingly people always use the same example, "Don't attack enemies with a scout weapon." or, "Don't attack on an open field with a shotgun." I DON'T! I'm not brain dead. I also use the right weapons for the engagement, for example, I use assault class in close quarters, on maps like Amiens,  Prise de Tahure, Argonne, Nivelle Nights, Fort Vaux, Zeebrugge, Achi Baba, and Tsaritsyn. Use the Medic class for longer distances but not as far as the scout, on maps such as Ballroom Blitz, St. Quentin, Suez, Giant's Shadow, Suez Desert, Verdun Heights, Soisson, Rupture, Brusilov Keep, Cape Helles, Heligoland Blight, River Somme, and Volga River. So in general I should probably use the medic semi-automatic guns for balance. Anway, use the Scout Class for sniping and spotting enemies; just in general being a nuisance, for maps such as Fao Fortress, Monte Grappa, Empire's Edge, Galicia, Albion, Lupkow Pass, Caporetto, and Passchendaele. So I'm not naive, I'm just new to battlefield 1, also I have played fps in the pass and I still do now, like Verdun, Tannenberg, and War Brokers, but not and bf1 game in the past. Can you choose what server to play on? I didn't notice. I use ear buds and I use a Pc. I also do stay with my teammates, but even with them I die really quickly before I can even react to the enemy shooting at me even with teammates.  My ping's pretty good. 50-100. It's not laggy for me that much. I do spot enemies as much as I can, but the enemy only stays on the minimap for like, 3 seconds. And it doesn't matter because even if I know where an enemy is, I know that I will most probably be defeated by him. Is there any game only for beginners?
  • SenseiBacon7
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I was once your average 6-27 player so I feel your pain. Now Im usually more of a 40-15 kind of guy as an assualt with a personal best of 116 kills on operations as an assualt. start with the mp18 or automatico or anyother gun and learn your playstyle. are you good at close quarters or midrange? do you like guns that have versatility or are you more of a spray and pray guy? then just play a lot. a lot of it boils down to practice and aiming. also TURN OF STICK AIMING ACCELERATION in settings. it will make your life WAYYYY easier. Look up brokenmachine sensativity vids on YT as well as his gameplay and others and just learn where good places to be are on maps. BF1 requires patience. the more you play the more intune with the game you will become.
  • PackersDK
    860 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If I would recommend playing Operations, defense at first perhaps, but not a must. It is less chaotic, you know where the enemy is coming from and you usually have teammates pretty close.

The small modes are also a nice introduction to weapons, parts of maps, and movement in the game. Conquest can be a cluster ****. 

BF1 was my first BF game in 2016 and despite having played fps games for 15 years I still sucked. You’ve had the game for 2 days, I’m sure you will improve. But as mentioned, you are up against alot of players with 3-4 years experience.
  • Forkbeard84
    1769 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Play support or medic and focus on supplying ammo, healing and reviving. Jump in a behemoth or tank to get some kills and learn the maps. After awhile you’ll get better at the gunplay.
  • WetFishDB
    2288 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    12141218 said:
    I listen to tips on the internet about battlefield 1 all the time, and I listen to them and implement them, such as throwing a grenade at an enemy controlled-house, got no kills, flank around and get killed by an enemy in front of me with a pistol as his weapon and a MP-18 as mine. HOW? And no just in this encounter, but in seemingly EVERY OTHER ENCOUNTER IN THE GAME I SUCK AS. Some real tips please?
    I suspect the problem you have is that this game is very old now.  You are likely coming up against very experienced players, who know the guns, know the maps, and are probably pretty at least moderately good at the game.   As someone new, which I'm guessing you are, this game really isn't all that forgiving.

My best advice is to just keep playing, practice, remember the direction that enemies come from, work out what guns/classes suit your style etc.  But minor pointers:

- When you are moving make sure your crosshair is aimed where you think enemies are coming from (I see so many aimed at the floor)
    - Use cover when moving between objectives
    - Know the optimal engagement distance for your chosen weapon and try to keep engagements in that range
    - Work WITH your squad.  If your squad leader is a numpty, join a different squad
    - Over time learn the maps, the spawns on each flag, and what weapons are optimal in different areas of each map
    I was once your average 6-27 player so I feel your pain. Now Im usually more of a 40-15 kind of guy as an assualt with a personal best of 116 kills on operations as an assualt. start with the mp18 or automatico or any other gun and learn your playstyle. are you good at close quarters or midrange? do you like guns that have versatility or are you more of a spray and pray guy? then just play a lot. a lot of it boils down to practice and aiming. also TURN OF STICK AIMING ACCELERATION in settings. it will make your life WAYYYY easier. Look up brokenmachine sensativity vids on YT as well as his gameplay and others and just learn where good places to be are on maps. BF1 requires patience. the more you play the more intune with the game you will become.
    I can't get automatico because it's not a starter weapon. What weapons should I first use to slowly work my way up?
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    948 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've not played for a while so things might have changed but the first weapon I had any luck with was the Lewis gun.
  • StLunaticNick
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sounds like you're using the weapons wrong. Yes there is way to use every weapon since they're are different variants. I love the MP-18 and it's probably the most versatile SMG in the game. It's a solid choice for literally every map. Understand how to use the different variants. For example the MP-18 trench variant. It has great hip fire. It is best used in close quarters where you don't want to be looking down the sights. You can and the trench variant is pretty accurate but it (as well as every other trench variant in the game) excels with hip fire.

The optical variants like the MP-18 optical are the types where you want to use the sights. Optical variants for all classes are made for longer range and precision. Not so much for close quarters room-to-room engagements. Best used for further enemies in the open for short controlled burst. They can be ok for close quarters but this isn't the most effective way nor is it the proper way to use optical variants.

One tip I do suggest... equip the gas grenade more often. Frag grenades are ok as well as incendiary grenades but gas grenades do a little better against infantry in rooms and buildings. Too often in the chaos of Battlefield, players forget to put the gas mask on. Or they are damaged, panicked and trying to retreat only to run into a puff of gas killing them. Plus sentries have no defense against them. Been times I've netted 4 or 5 kills with one gas grenade. Plus ducking behind a rock or wall won't protect infantry players from gas. They need the gas mask or have to run away. The mask puts players with optical variant weapons and scouts at a huge disadvantage since they can't look down their sights. Giving you the upper hand with a trench variant weapons and shotguns.

With that said, If you're expecting kills with every grenade or even half of your grenade throws you're going to have a bad time lol. They are meant to flush enemies out so you can shoot them as they try to run away. Or at the very least damage them so you can finish them off with your primary weapon. I've been playing BF1 since 2 months after it's release and I only have like 2,000 kills total between both frag and gas grenades.

If you're a beginner or a veteran just trying to up your k/d I reccomend using weapons that don't take much skill to use.

Hellriegel factory (Assault class)
    MP-18 trench (Assault class)
    Automatico trench (Assault class)
    BAR Trench/Storm (Support class)
    Federov Avtomat trench. (Medic class)

These weapons will serve you well on practically any map and most engagements.
    Are there any good weapons that I have assess too? Also how to slowly crawl up the latter?
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14037 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @12141218
    Please don't use ALL CAPS in your thread title ( or OP ) as this is a violation of the rules.

Fixed it on this occasion.
    I didn't use all caps in my title.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14037 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    12141218 said:
    I didn't use all caps in my title.
    I can assure you,  You did.

However I edited your OP ( which includes the title ) hence why it says it was edited by me.
    edited May 13
    Does it matter if I use all caps or not?
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12141218 said:
    Does all caps matter?
    It does,  I mean,  It's essentially "shouting" and is also listed in the forum rules.

So you know,  Perhaps look at them just so you're aware of what's permitted ( and what isn't ) for future reference?
    edited May 13
    Well, anyway, are there any good weapons that I have access too? Also how to slowly crawl up the ladder to better weapons?
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12141218 said:
    Well, anyway, are there any good weapons that I have access too? Also how to slowly crawl up the ladder to better weapons?
    They're all decent to be fair,  I find the guns that are unlocked right at the start tend to be better such as the hellreigel.

Lunaticnick is pretty much spot on with his post.

edited May 13
    I don't have access too those weapons at the start. Also the MP-18 sucks.
  • Forkbeard84
    1769 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 13
    12141218 said:
    They're all decent to be fair,  I find the guns that are unlocked right at the start tend to be better such as the hellreigel.

Lunaticnick is pretty much spot on with his post.

All the guns are pretty good.  The listed ones are all good mostly close up weapons if you like close quarters.  If you get up close try using your hip fire which is where you dont aim down sights.  You just spray at the enemy in the center of your screen.  He should be big on your screen and easier to hit cause he's up close. So just spray him from your hip.  

You can also work further back with all the support lmgs bipoded and prone.  Watch your angles and scope out the situation spotting all the time, R1, R1, R1 spot spot spot.  Then open up on some poor prone sap that you just spotted.  Take your time lining him up before you fire. Use your ammo crate and fire off repeating cheap crossbow grenades and gas grenades into the distance.     The Mondragon sniper and the other medic scoped weapons are good.  Mondragon, its a 3 shot rhythm, get em in your sights, ping ping ping.    Thats for further back play.    Also the sniper weapons are all good for working further back.  You can use the spotting scope gadget so you dont get scope glare or spotted yourself and you can get mass patches of enemy 3d spotted with the spotting scope and you can do it from behind cover!  R1, R1, R1, Spot spot spot. Pick your victims then switch to your rifle, pop up and pop em with your scope.