EA taking action against toxic players

Comments

• MarxistDictator
    5251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I got so tired of the rampant use of the N word in Battlefield.  I'd send in screenshots of people using it, and I'm not talking about BFV when -¯\_(ツ)_/¯ was all you needed to circumvent the filter, I'm talking just six letters with a space in front, and in back.  NOTHING done about it after multiple screenshots on different days were sent in.  

Then again, if you go to Origin, and if you do a player search for, "1488," as of today you get 42312 results.  That's a key phrase that promotes the ideology that is precisely what was being fought against by the allies in WWII...But somehow origin allows that in usernames, profiles, and keywords.

I bet BLM and Antifa and other racist promoters of violence are A-OK in your book.

• Matty101yttam
    1466 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The ez guys aren't toxic, i think most cases it's people joking around at how ineffective they were compared to their team.
    Its like going for a layup in basketball, tripping over your feet, smashing your head on the court while having the ball fly sideways bouncing of a chair that's out of bounds which by chance then goes into the ring.
    If that guy got up and said ez you know he meant he completely messed up in a spectacular way and the ball going in had nothing to do with his own ability.

The few people that do it on purpose...meh...it's not even a big deal, those sorts of players(and "toxic" people in general) only gain traction when they get responses, they crave response.
    It's just the same as blatent hacks, they CRAVE attention, if you just pretend they don't exist in chat the whole experience becomes less satisfying for them.

I honestly don't see how people fall for it, i can't be the only person who sees trolls as so insignificant it's not worth the time to reply can i?
  • VOLBANKER
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VOLBANKER said:
    On PC there is also a squad with some 350+ rank players in it called Sieg. I’m guessing that squad name was picked to make people think of that German WW2 salute.

Thing is though.... That word is just german for "Victory". The word in and of it's self is not bad. It just had an unfortunate conotaton now. That is -not- toxic. It's a word not being used in a "bad" way.
    I didn’t know the word simply means Victory in German. Thanks for explaining! Then I will feel much better when seeing that squad online. I’m glad :) 
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I got so tired of the rampant use of the N word in Battlefield.  I'd send in screenshots of people using it, and I'm not talking about BFV when -¯\_(ツ)_/¯ was all you needed to circumvent the filter, I'm talking just six letters with a space in front, and in back.  NOTHING done about it after multiple screenshots on different days were sent in.  

Then again, if you go to Origin, and if you do a player search for, "1488," as of today you get 42312 results.  That's a key phrase that promotes the ideology that is precisely what was being fought against by the allies in WWII...But somehow origin allows that in usernames, profiles, and keywords.

I bet BLM and Antifa and other racist promoters of violence are A-OK in your book.

It's interesting that you jump to defend the 1488 crowd.
  • MarxistDictator
    5251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 20
    Yeah I don’t support domestic terrorists so I must be some other buzzword. Meanwhile the damage Antifa did to their own movement was so bad they had to disavow themselves as an organization and all their other forms of pathetic goal post moving damage control.

But yeah let’s blame the people who haven’t done anything instead of the people openly advocating for racial violence and actually acting on it.
  • Hawxxeye
    7779 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 20
    Hawxxeye said:
    Does that mean that the plague that is "ez" or "easy" sayers will finally be wiped off the game?

Is this hyperbole or do you genuinely think people who type EZ should have action taken against their accounts to the extend of banning them from play? Pretty harsh don't you think? I've been called many things by toxic players on this game, but EZ after a loss just doesn't get under my skin. 
    I genuinely think that I should at least be able to chose to not see any chat from the people who try to get under others skin while still being able to see chat from those who at least try to say something useful/fun.
    When I am trying my best in a round to help my not so brilliant team , getting myself killed, the last thing I need to see is the others gloating on top of that.
    ... Perhaps that is a me-problem. Perhaps I need to just try to get more kills per death while ignoring the objective in those bad matches so I will not feel like my efforts are being mocked since I have not tried.
  • HengSweeKeat
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 20
    Apologies for double posting, please delete this.
  • HengSweeKeat
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    Does that mean that the plague that is "ez" or "easy" sayers will finally be wiped off the game?

Is this hyperbole or do you genuinely think people who type EZ should have action taken against their accounts to the extend of banning them from play? Pretty harsh don't you think? I've been called many things by toxic players on this game, but EZ after a loss just doesn't get under my skin. 
    I genuinely think that I should at least be able to chose to not see any chat from the people who try to get under others skin while still being able to see chat from those who at least try to say something useful/fun.
    When I am trying my best in a round to help my not so brilliant team , getting myself killed, the last thing I need to see is the others gloating on top of that.
    ... Perhaps that is a me-problem. Perhaps I need to just try to get more kills per death while ignoring the objective in those bad matches so I will not feel like my efforts are being mocked since I have not tried.

Are you like in that real life too? When people say things to you out of jest, you dwell on it for days? If you need to selectively censor things that you don't want to hear because you're afraid your feelings will be hurt, then I got bad news for you. It ain't like that in real life. I don't condone hate speech but you sound like you need to grow a pair, no offense but just being honest. If you're getting offended over two alphabets "ez", then you're gonna have real problem facing the outside world.
  • DingoKillr
    4352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    FunTaiwan wrote: »
    (Quote)

Are you like in that real life too? When people say things to you out of jest, you dwell on it for days? If you need to selectively censor things that you don't want to hear because you're afraid your feelings will be hurt, then I got bad news for you. It ain't like that in real life. I don't condone hate speech but you sound like you need to grow a pair, no offense but just being honest. If you're getting offended over two alphabets "ez", then you're gonna have real problem facing the outside world.

In real life there is ramifications for speech even in jest. You could be fired, arrested or even beaten up.

Most of those toxic bunker boys that type EZ would never say it in real life after cheating in competition.

• MarxistDictator
    Yeah let’s endorse doxing because there isn’t such a thing as free speech anymore, only approved groupthink. The second they started claiming racism is a one-way street they lost all credibility and yet here they still are trying to force their dogma into every aspect of life. I really hope the Supreme Court decides that ToS that are basically written to remove consumer rights are factually unconstitutional.
  • Hawxxeye
    7779 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 20
    Yeah let’s endorse doxing because there isn’t such a thing as free speech anymore, only approved groupthink. The second they started claiming racism is a one-way street they lost all credibility and yet here they still are trying to force their dogma into every aspect of life. I really hope the Supreme Court decides that ToS that are basically written to remove consumer rights are factually unconstitutional.
    Actually there was a precedent court case about ToS where it was ruled that the defendant was not bound by them cause ToS do not give you a real option because you are forced to accept them.
    There is also an ingenius South Park episode about ToS, called The HumanCentipad
  • ragnarok013
    3895 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Gentlemen stay away from Politics in this thread or it will be closed and accounts actioned. This is not a new rule.
  • Battlefueled
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why does chat even exist?
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    To say, to your team, "Need some help on E over here."
  • GeneralXIV
    308 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Everything I've heard from other players is that generally, EA doesn't really seem to do anything about cheaters etc. I play most recent games on PS4, where things are better, though Ive encountered some things in my time. Mostly not in EA games, though I've had both players abusing bugs (like purposefully duplicating Heroes during a game of Heroes vs Villains in Battlefront 2, I think that's the most recent example I can think of), and I've been sent some rude messages in the past while playing multiplayer in EA games alone and idek why because I'm far from the best player in the world. It was nothing compared with my first attempt to try Grand Theft Auto, but things still happened.

I think this step, assuming it's more than words and actually represents a change in policy for EA, will be a good thing. Both in-game and out, there are players I've encountered that I would personally consider to be toxic and overall bad for the game and the community. I think in a game like this especially, emotions run high - especially anger and frustration and I can see it leading to a very toxic atmosphere. I think a general, simple guideline like "treat others as you would want to be treated" as good for everyone... except masochists, but I guess that's not really the point.

So yup, I support this. I hope this will be a good change.
  • Hawxxeye
    To say, to your team, "Need some help on E over here."
    Or
    "can someone please spot tanks and clusters of enemy soldiers so  the planes can actually provide some good air support?"
  • Magikf1ngers
    253 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:

We can only hope.  I doubt it, though.

I'm torn on this - I think it's a good thing to attempt to do, but I'm skeptical on EA's ability to do it, as they can't even control cheating and bigoted behavior now.  Even the waste of time chat filter, people are able to get around it easily with misspelling or with using a ! or something before the word they want to use.  

So - while I'm hopeful - it's the kind of hope I have that the Seattle Mariners will ever win the pennant.  I'm a die hard fan of the Mariners, but man - they stink most years.

• olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    FunTaiwan said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    Hawxxeye said:

People who jest in real life are prepared for the consequences if it is received wrong. So they do not act that way without damaging their reputation or worse.
    Also I tend to not associate with irreverent people irl
    That behavior in the chat is a result of a lack of consequences in an anonymous lobby.
    I strive to treat others like I expect them to treat me. Is it wrong to hold others to the same standards?
    I normally agree with you on this forum but the 'ez' I never find offensive. I'm also guilty of using it myself although only in the specific situation when I join a match pretty much only to se the 'Victory' banner. Indeed this is an 'ez' victory for me as I got it with zero contribution. It has nothing to do with mocking the opponents but of course if people want to be offended, there is no way stopping them.

It can actually be wrong to hold others to the same standards when it limits their behavior. Everyone has their own standards. Maybe I get offended if people tell me to spot when all I want to do is snipe from spawn and would never ask anyone to spot because it is so hurting to my feelings when others do it to me...(bad example, I know) I like to play the game with a free sense of humour but if everyone is going to be offended by this and that, it will be too limited in my opinion. There are a lot of worse things going on in the chat when people call each other names or write that they wish you get this or that disease, not to mention all references to mothers that somehow people seems very obsessed with. Personally I ignore those or maybe engage in the trolling if I'm in the mood but still it is not really serious to me (how could it, they do not even know who I am).

The game is just casual entertainment, not even amateur matches (because not even in amateur leagues people get to switch teams or just leave the match if things goes against them). If one finds a particular individual too offensive too often, it is easy to just block them and you will not see their crap any more.