Thoughts from an old gamer

lustvig
postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited June 22
So, here's the thing. I've been playing Battlefield since Battlefield 1942. I just now joined BF5. Why? Well, life got in the way and the idiotic controversy made it sound like a toxic swamp.  [Removed] it's just a game. But my thoughts are on gameplay, not skins/genders of  a bunch of pixels on characters in a children's video game.

I have NEVER been good. My KDR is usually inverse, and I absolutely suck in CQB (close quarters battle). But I love the series, dear God I do.

My fav time came when I started playing the Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 2. It was a WWII realism shooter - one shot, one kill, most infantry had rifles, tanks had properly sloped armor, etc. Not quite as extreme as say, Arma, but pretty tough. What made it a joy was my time with a clan. First time I ever joined a group. The 130th Panzer Lehr. It was tight - we had out-of-game ranks, determined by our ability to play the game, follow orders over teamspeak, and in general contribute. Yeah, there was some questionable use of the insignia. I hate Illinois ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, but ... what the hey. It was a fun group. I miss the hell out of those guys.

So to me, team play is cool.

Since my skills in infantry suck, I was assigned to the Panzer Pioneers which usually had Engineer kits. Mines, AT panzerfausts, the works. I alternated between placed artillery and tank hunting. My job was not to cap flags (unless ordered of course). Man I love hunting tanks. I think BF5 did a fine job with the AT mines. Had my first mine kill a few days ago by placing the sucked right on the Sherman's engine deck.

So it's what I expected in some ways. I love the fact that insto-spotting was removed as it was done in BF1. That was a pain. The sounds are superb, my God, the sounds of artillery going off is amazing. Its a little too fast-paced and video gamey, but that is nothing new. Slow it down 20% and it would be better - more tactical. But fine. I'm not one you pubescent kids with the reflexes of a Shaolin Master. Such is life. No, what I am talking about is some scale issues.

See what I (IMHO) think is missing is the *gameplay* of Battlefield 1942. You had maps where it was carrier vs. carrier and you'd have 8 or more plans in the air at any one time, with near instant respawns. HUGE battles. You had a submarine that could launch torpedoes, Kate torpedo planes (drop it from 2 grids away and turn while still in the fog of war), flyable b-17s, and when you manned a ship you had firepower. One player could control a band of AA guns - not simply be sniped out of the one gun by a crybaby pilot.

Some maps were all armor. I think Al-Alamein comes to mind. Lots of shermans vs. panzer III and IV (IIRC). Wow.

And the crown was the Battle of Britain. Both side, all aircraft 32 vs. 32 pilots (a few people stayed on ground to man AA guns). Bombing runs on the Brit installations, and counter airstrikes by Typhoons and Spitfires. Man, to see THAT redone with modern graphics, a flight ceiling of 10000 feet, a huge map, and in-air respawns and/or landings for repairs - wow.

THAT's where Dice dropped the ball. Not crap about minorities, women, prosthetic limbs, in-game purchases, etc. All those are window dressing.

Stop trying to be COD with a few tanks and couple planes thrown in. Drop a game that can handle 200 players, with 200 vehicles. Now THAT would be worth $75.

The play's the thing to catch the conscience of the king.

My 2 cents for anyone who cares. And to the 130th if you happen to read this ... S!

Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on

Comments

• 123loreni
    73 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Old gamer here as well. Im 35 this year....how old are you?

Played BF1942 and BFV....nothing in between. I agree that 5 is more of  a shooter comapred to 1942.

And if you like planes you gotta have a joystick between mouse and keyboard.
  • CSO7777
    1765 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    I'm 50 years old and still can hold my own at CQC. But I agree the movement system has gone too far, too much ADAD-spam and rambo-style sliding for my liking. And I think this also leads to some of the TTD-issues, the game cannot keep up with the fast movement (sliding, jumping, ADAD-spam).

The movement in BF1 of players was pretty perfect (momentum/speed) and tactical movement was more important than in BFV, why this was changed is really weird.

But to be honest, I play a lot of BF4 and it has some of the same issues, with people jumping around and 'abusing' hit-boxes not working correctly.
  • DerDoktorMabuse
    240 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So true, so sad... this battle of britain sounds fun... but i guess the technology isnt there now...
  • Netranger9
    199 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have been playing since the BF series began(with the exeption of hardline),and with the rampant cheating and the ease of obtaining the cheats,ive had a hard time with this one(BFV).There are so many players that always seem to know where you are(In all the BF games,Ive never been shot in the back as much as I am now),and as soon as I reach level 100 I am so done with BFV.
  • GenCuster
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I see that we are in many of the geriatric sector....
    who think Bfv is a bad way to get close to COD.

• KPNuts74
    682 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I’m 46 and love BFV, best gunplay and movement I’ve known in a FPS
  • UltraMG42CamPeR
    350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    47 Here, I love BF V and My Mighty MG42 a lot. 
  • Hawxxeye
    7474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 23
    lustvig said:

Stop trying to be COD with a few tanks and couple planes thrown in. .

This is the crux of the matter since BF1.
    Ironically enough, CoD in it recent incarnation actually threw in few tanks and aircraft.
    Unless Battlefield goes back on being a ...Battlefield, it is in danger of being choked by the Activision FPS giant due to overlapping niches
  • clouseau2112
    214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nice write up, Lustvig,

Veteran here as well. Played Bf2 Bad Company, excessive Bf4, Bf1, and BFV.

As much as I've enjoyed BFV, it just hasn't been received as well as I'd like. That said, it is still the best shooter (graphically & functioning) currently available. And to my surprise, Bf1, that takes place during WWI was better well received, than BFV, which still shocks me. Apple's and oranges IMHO...each had their qualities.

I like where you're going OP, with the higher player count. I'm not saying let's have 200 player matches (although that would be sweet), but maybe 100 player matches...50 vs 50 would certainly be awesome to witness!!

I quickly noticed that BFV was definitely more 'team/squad' oriented, and that's what really got me addicted. It's ALL. About team play, regardless of skill level.
    For me, it's Mic up or get lost. I'm mid 40's, and still destroy, and it's because if teamwork, communication and practice.

A couple of you said that 'it's too hard for the casual player', but that's not the case. You need to squad up with players who communicate, work together and take objectives. It really is that simple.

Would be nice to create a 40+ clan...and show the younger crowd how it's done. As a skilled veteran, I truly get my joy by showing them young guys how it's done!

I'm xbox1x...not sure who else is....
  • RipGfx
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    KPNuts74 said:
    I’m 46 and love BFV, best gunplay and movement I’ve known in a FPS
    I totally agree, I'm 56 and gaming hard, always have done, always will do.  Lots of bad stuff said about BFV which I think at least some of it is uncalled for, as stated, gunplay and movement are top notch, I'll be honest I thought BF1 was the best BF game ever and at first I really struggled with BFV but didn't take that long to get into things, I'm almost 1200 hrs in and can't see me stopping playing it anytime soon.  

Cheating is a MAJOR problem now and team balance ain't the best but the Dev's ain't bothered so I guess that's something (unfortunately) we have to live with.
  • DerDoktorMabuse
    240 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Age is one thing... playing this game since BF1942 is another thing... DICE wanted to tell us some "untold war stories" but forgot that BF is all about the player making his own war stories... let him... i cant do it right now in BF5, nearly all the maps are way too small...
  • 123loreni
    lol i like that gun to... just unlocked it not long ago. it is THE meanest gun in BFV =)
  • Hawxxeye
    7474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    123loreni said:
    lol i like that gun to... just unlocked it not long ago. it is THE meanest gun in BFV =)
    The type 2A would like a word.
  • 123loreni
    Hawxxeye said:
    123loreni said:
    hehe Im never a medic =) I get hit a lot by it though.

If you cutomize mg42 you get 250 per round. For support at breakthrough =)
  • Hawxxeye
    123loreni said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    123loreni said:
    hehe Im never a medic =) I get hit a lot by it though.

If you cutomize mg42 you get 250 per round. For support at breakthrough =)
    If it is an MMG, I prefer the Browning M1919A6
    Very accurate and actually controllable
  • ragnarok013
    3776 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Hawxxeye said:
    lustvig said:

Stop trying to be COD with a few tanks and couple planes thrown in. .

This is the crux of the matter since BF1.
    Ironically enough, CoD in it recent incarnation actually threw in few tanks and aircraft.
    Unless Battlefield goes back on being a ...Battlefield, it is in danger of being choked by the Activision FPS giant due to overlapping niches

Hawxxeye COD World at War had drivable tanks too.