The game stucks for a second

2»

Comments

• CSO7777
    1774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    123loreni said:
    CPU Z says Dual chanel at 1600MHz

will upgrade to 32GB and probably stick with pc3200

btw do you guys have vsync on or off?
    Just don't expect miracles.

Having 32GB removes stutters from standby-memory problems and the same can be done with ISLC - the game doesn't use the RAM, but Windows will (caching - standby memory). Your system can be a little faster with 4 sticks though, but again this is very a small little difference.

And remember, if using DX12 (works best for many - me included), the game stutters the first time you play a map, this is due to the shader-cache being build 'on-the-fly'. It goes away after having played all the maps once.

And I wouldn't be using VSync, unless using GSync (or Free-sync). If using Gsync(/Free-sync) you should limit the FPS to 5 frames below your monitors refresh-rate and then enable VSync (otherwise you will get tearing/artifacts). You can restrict the FPS globally with the NVidia-driver or something like Riva-tuner (or use in-game-settings, but this must then be done for every game you play).
  • 123loreni
    83 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's better with DX12 enabled!

vsync on and frame limiter to 120.

Now it's barley noticeable.

I'm not complaining or expecting miracles =) I just think 2 years old game should run without any issues on a such a fast machine. 

I assume consoles don't have such problems?
  • BeastofBourbon84
    696 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Consoles have their own share of problems ;)
  • emerson1975
    568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Vsync off,  frames capped via either a user.cfg or via nvidia control panel.

Vsync introduces input latency.

Yep but if your running gsync or freesync vsync should be on within driver configuration.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14198 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    CSO7777 said:
    123loreni said:

Having 32GB removes stutters from standby-memory problems and the same can be done with ISLC - the game doesn't use the RAM, but Windows will (caching - standby memory). Your system can be a little faster with 4 sticks though, but again this is very a small little difference.

And remember, if using DX12 (works best for many - me included), the game stutters the first time you play a map, this is due to the shader-cache being build 'on-the-fly'. It goes away after having played all the maps once.

And I wouldn't be using VSync, unless using GSync (or Free-sync). If using Gsync(/Free-sync) you should limit the FPS to 5 frames below your monitors refresh-rate and then enable VSync (otherwise you will get tearing/artifacts). You can restrict the FPS globally with the NVidia-driver or something like Riva-tuner (or use in-game-settings, but this must then be done for every game you play).
    When capping frames,  it typically should be very very close to the monitor frequency,  preferably within one frame.

E.g for a 60hz monitor,  you would cap at 59.94

For a 120hz it would be 119.80 or something.

144hz monitor would be 143.94 or similar.

Reducing framerate by a factor of 5fps is just too much imo.

• 123loreni
    CSO7777 said:
    123loreni said:

When capping frames,  it typically should be very very close to the monitor frequency,  preferably within one frame.

E.g for a 60hz monitor,  you would cap at 59.94

For a 120hz it would be 119.80 or something.

144hz monitor would be 143.94 or similar.

Reducing framerate by a factor of 5fps is just too much imo.

where do you set that?
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14198 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited June 30
    Open notepad

Create a new text document and paste the following command :  GameTime.MaxVariableFps xxx  ( xxx is your desired capped framerate )

example :  If you wanted to cap at 60FPS,  The command would be :  GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.94

Click file -> Save as ->  change from .txt to "all file types" and name it    user.cfg

Save it to your BFV game directory

Each time the game and even when a new map loads,  It will load that configuration file each and every time.
  • 123loreni
    123loreni said:
    It's better with DX12 enabled!

vsync on and frame limiter to 120.

Now it's barley noticeable.

I'm not complaining or expecting miracles =) I just think 2 years old game should run without any issues on a such a fast machine. 

I assume consoles don't have such problems?
    I take that back.....not better with DX12 on.
  • 123loreni
    What if you have a situation like this:

-144hz monitor, vsync ON and poor PC that can't produce 144fps?

will you also get stutters or horizontal lines?
  • LOLGotYerTags
    123loreni said:
    What if you have a situation like this:

-144hz monitor, vsync ON and poor PC that can't produce 144fps?

will you also get stutters or horizontal lines?
    you'll also get stutters as the cpu and gpu cannot keep up with each other resulting in inconsistent frames 
  • 123loreni
    but if you have vsync OFF then you get picture tearing....
  • LOLGotYerTags
    123loreni said:
    but if you have vsync OFF then you get picture tearing....
    If you have vsync off and you cap to the next lowest denominator ( e.g instead of 144FPS/144Hz down to 119.94FPS ) you shouldn't see any tearing.

Monitors tend to do well at lower FPS than the refresh rate than they do when going higher than the refresh rate.

You can also ( on nvidia ) create a custom resolution with a lower frequency so that you don't get tearing.
  • IIKFieLdII
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited 2:44AM
    I see performance issues in this game too, and I have since it's release. On my old PC and my new one which I just built last week. For reference, I'm running Intel i5 10600K OC'd to 5.0ghz, RTX 2070 that's been overclocked as well, and 16GB of 3600mhz CL14 memory. IE: PLENTY of machine for BF5. I actually gain A LOT of performance by running on DX12 versus DX11 with this newer hardware. It was the opposite with my old pc(i7 4790K, GTX 1070, etc), running DX12 used to cause a very noticeable performance hit. 

My issue though is that running DX12 causes a ton of micro-stuttering for about the first 5 minutes of a match when I load in. This doesn't happen on DX11 at all, but I lose essentially 50 FPS by running DX11 as crazy as that may seem. I go from seeing about 140-160 fps average down to about 85-90. Now that's still plenty of performance and I don't want to seem spoiled but being on a 144hz monitor, I'd rather benefit from the extra frames if they're available. After about 5 minutes, the game starts to smooth out as it should. I thought initially that maybe my CPU overclock wasn't entirely stable and I'd add a little more voltage to see if that addressed the problem but it didn't, and considering I'm stable in cpu torture tests like Prime 95, it's gotta be something about BF5's DX12 implementation. And it shouldn't have anything to do with my hard drive speeds as well. I have BF5 installed on my OS drive which is a 1TB NVME SSD with upwards of 3000mb/s read & write speeds. 

Not related to temperatures either. I'm on a Noctua D-15 cooler which is pretty much the most premium CPU cooling you can get today without switching to liquid cooling. Temps in BF5 stay at 70C or less, which is perfectly suitable with my overclock and considering the fact BF5 utilizes AVX cpu instructions which are intensive. CPU utilization in BF5 is about 70-75%, GPU utilization is 98%. GPU temps stay below 75C with my current overclock, power limit set to 120% and temp limit maxed to 88C. This PC was built last week. Windows install is almost as fresh as it gets. Every  time I come back to this game, I feel like it never runs the way I expect it too. There's always some sort of problem.
    Post edited by IIKFieLdII at