Firestorm artillery and V1 are OP

JuddV10
27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Hey everyonee.

I played a few firestorm matches for the first time (Late I know), but everytime I made it to the final circle I get blown instantly by artillery or a v1

This is very unfair since the area is roughly the same as the final circle. you got nowhere to move. 

I know the mode isn't very healthy, but it could gain more players if you fix the balance and remove/nerf said items 

Comments

• X_Sunslayer_X
    1442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    oh poor unfortunate soul, sadly DICE would not touch that mode anymore not even if the future of the studio depended on it......
  • jroggs
    1222 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Artillery danger areas are fully revealed on your minimap. V-1s have a telltale red smoke plume at the impact site. Both reveal the position of the user when fired with clear audio and visual cues.

They're not very dangerous in and of themselves if you're paying attention. Their primary use is to force other players to move. They're also rare and limited.

You're playing way too passively if you're letting matches progress to the last circle and not even seeing other players use these tools.
  • JuddV10
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 25
    The artillery area is almost the same as the last circle. No way to escape

it isn't fair and should be removed, besides almost every match ends with one
  • DaMutha1
    1445 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If it fills the last circle, isn't the person who fired it at just as much risk?
  • JuddV10
    Almost is the key word
  • jroggs
    1222 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    JuddV10 said:
    The artillery area is almost the same as the last circle. No way to escape

it isn't fair and should be removed, besides almost every match ends with one
    First off (and to address @DaMutha1 as well), you can escape the artillery circle by not being in it. It is perfectly clear where the circle is. And even though that arty circle is equal to the size of the last circle, it is extremely rare that anyone will fire their arty to completely eclipse the remaining play area. If they aim well, they will create a crescent of safety. If they do blanket the entire area (which might happen if multiple arties pop off), then you can health stim in the firestorm for a bit while everyone else blows up or rolls the dice. And you can roll the dice with a bit of optimism. Arty is very inconsistent.

Secondly, like I suggested before, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you do not want to die to arty in the last circle, do not play so passively in the lead-up to the final circle and the moment where the enemy uses his arty. You have a substantial number of tools and tactics at your disposal to prevent the scenario you are describing. Use them.

As luck would have it, I've got a pretty good demonstrational clip on how to both survive arty and use it correctly to cap off an 11 kill win. Skip to 16:50 for the relevant section.

Second to last circle, five players remaining. I have been diligent with my looting through the game and am well-equipped with good weapons, two flares, and an arty call-in. Three of the remaining four enemies use arty, covering most of the remaining area. This is a good thing, because there's still more than 30 seconds until the circle closes, meaning that these enemies have played their hands too early. I am still forced to make a choice between bush concealment and getting out of the arty circle, and apart from seeking out a quick kill I choose to be a difficult target for enemies to see at the risk of being slightly in the bombardment area. My gamble pays off and I'm fine. One of the other remaining enemies gets killed and we're down to three, and I know the rough location of at least one enemy thanks to hearing the previous firefight.

As the circle begins to close, now is the time to use my arty. I fire it to leave a small crescent of safety on my side of the area, forcing both remaining enemies to have to come to me. I fire up a flare to double up my advantage and make sure I don't overcommit. These are extremely powerful tools and I have saved them for this late in the match for exactly this reason. I know where my enemies are and what they have to do. They only have guesses. This means I get to see them first and fire first, and I use this advantage to play aggressively and win both firefights for the V.

Now let's flip the script. Go to 17:41 when I use my arty. See how I give my position away with the noise and flare trail? Those enemies could have used those tells to figure out my position. Also note how long it takes from the time of firing to the time the bombardment starts. Nine seconds. That is a massive amount of time from the moment I expose myself to the point where I start potentially reaping benefits from the arty. If the enemies missed all that, then they had a second chance when I sent up a spotting flare. All they had to do was pay attention and not bury their heads in the dirt. Heck, go back even further to 17:20 when I killed that guy on the ridge. This was loud and could have been used to mark my position and approach during the last circle. But the remaining enemies missed these cues by either being distracted or simply playing so passively and defensively that they weren't in a position to use any situational awareness.

Setting all that aside, you are by your own claim new to Firestorm, which is a mode that's been around for nearly a year and a half. You are very inexperienced and unknowledgeable, and many of your opponents are not. You're going to have a rough time early on, it's inevitable. Your worst mistake would be to assume you already have the mode figured out, and when you claim that arty is a late-game win button, it's clear you don't understand it. That's fine, that's what discussion boards are for. Now you have better information to work from.

Lastly, be aware that Firestorm was developed by Criterion and then handed over to DICE, who abandoned the mode a year ago. It's extremely unlikely they're going to make any changes to the mode now, especially since they're also wrapping up work on the main game and moving into full commitment on their next title. So you're the one who has to adapt, because arty isn't going to change.
  • CloneTrooperCT
    392 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Are there still some players in that mode? 😳? Wasn't it dead and full of cheaters?
    Dice must makes this to F2P, keep it cheat-free and cross play. Remake this mode, give it a change. It was fun.
  • JuddV10
    It's dead and you encounter some cheaters

But for a few days I was able to find a few full games so I tried that out
  • CloneTrooperCT
    392 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    JuddV10 wrote: »

On which system?
  • JuddV10

On which system?

PC
  • CloneTrooperCT

On which system?

PC

Yeah pc is dead