Two problems I need help with

Revolver1274
11 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
1. Intel i7 7700 with NVDIA 1070 video card. I purchased a NVDIA 2070, which is obviously more powerful, but also larger. My case is on the small size, but card fits. Only when playing BFV (i don't play any other games), but not during normal operation, I get a red light on motherboard indicating the CPU is getting too hot. This happens after playing for a little while and has gotten worse. I put on a new heat sink and fan with paste and still nothing has changed. Could the large video card and small case cause a thermal issue? I even tried with the side case door off. Or is the CPU not strong enough to communicate with the video card under BFV operation? Or?

2. Recently I noticed my hotkey (number pad 0) not working for activating the mic. I'll be playing then all of a sudden the mic hotkey won't activate the mic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• spychodelics
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Do you have enough airflow in your case since it is smaller and the bigger card may block some airflow?
  • CSO7777
    1796 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Regarding your first problem...

Try using HWINFO or some other tool, which can show you the temps when gaming/stressing your system. Use this when you make any changes, then you can see exactly what your changes does to the temps (of the CPU or GPU).

The size of the case shouldn't matter unless your case has very restricted airflow, in reality a smaller case is often easier to cool, because it has less air inside to move around. 'Silent' cases can be a problem, because they often have very restricted airflow. Mesh-cases are often much more silent when gaming, the fans doesn't have to work so hard, because of the 'unrestricted' airflow.

Some well placed fans can normally solve the issue with airflow, you can read a lot about this (https://www.extremetech.com/computing/128313-extremetechs-guide-to-air-cooling-your-pc/2 ). You don't need to fill the case with fans often a couple of intake and outtake fans are enough. But your case decides which solution is usable.

Also try to remove some of the PCI-backplates and see if it helps.

Try looking at fan-profiles in your motherboards bios, it often has different profiles and try using the most 'aggressive' profile (what ever it is called), if that helps then you know its a question of airflow. Also make sure that the fan-control is setup for the correct type of fan (PWM/Voltage).

And of course, remove any overclocks (if your are overclocking).
  • Revolver1274
    Do you have enough airflow in your case since it is smaller and the bigger card may block some airflow?

I am not sure. I tried playing with both side case door off and on and still same result.
  • Revolver1274
    CSO7777 said:
    Regarding your first problem...

Try using HWINFO or some other tool, which can show you the temps when gaming/stressing your system. Use this when you make any changes, then you can see exactly what your changes does to the temps (of the CPU or GPU).

The size of the case shouldn't matter unless your case has very restricted airflow, in reality a smaller case is often easier to cool, because it has less air inside to move around. 'Silent' cases can be a problem, because they often have very restricted airflow. Mesh-cases are often much more silent when gaming, the fans doesn't have to work so hard, because of the 'unrestricted' airflow.

Some well placed fans can normally solve the issue with airflow, you can read a lot about this (https://www.extremetech.com/computing/128313-extremetechs-guide-to-air-cooling-your-pc/2 ). You don't need to fill the case with fans often a couple of intake and outtake fans are enough. But your case decides which solution is usable.

Also try to remove some of the PCI-backplates and see if it helps.

Try looking at fan-profiles in your motherboards bios, it often has different profiles and try using the most 'aggressive' profile (what ever it is called), if that helps then you know its a question of airflow. Also make sure that the fan-control is setup for the correct type of fan (PWM/Voltage).

And of course, remove any overclocks (if your are overclocking).
    I downloaded an ran CPUID monitor and it shows when the CPU hits 100 degrees the red light goes on. If I simply alt-tab the temp drops quickly and the light goes off. Then when I alt-tab and play for a little bit (10-30 seconds) the light comes back on.

• chinook240
    117 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What CPU cooler do you have, is a simple stock heat sink or a water radiator with pump? You could try replacing the thermal paste between the heat sink and CPU or upgrade to a better cooler.
  • CSO7777
    1796 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What CPU cooler do you have, is a simple stock heat sink or a water radiator with pump? You could try replacing the thermal paste between the heat sink and CPU or upgrade to a better cooler.
    Even the stock cooler should be able to cool the CPU (if not overclocked).

But something is really off, and it sound like thermal paste/mounting of the cooler is wrong. If you are in doubt about how to apply thermal paste look at some videos like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM

Also check that you are using the correct fan-headers on the mainboard (and settings in bios regarding PWM/Voltage of the fans).
  • Magikf1ngers
    238 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So - 

1. It can.  Especially if the GPU processor is relatively close to the CPU.  
    2. If your case supports it, you might want to consider a liquid cooling system for the CPU at least.  That would probably completely fix the issue for your CPU. 
    3. With the advice of removing a PCI plate - I'd absolutely advise against that.  It *will* void any warranty (or an extended warranty if you were duped into buying one) that the card will have.
    4. Look into buying a bigger case.  Even a cheap bigger case is going to help.
    5. If you put on too much thermal paste, it can cause heat dissipation issues as well.  

However - what was said above - often smaller cases (as long as they have good sealing) are easier to cool than some of the larger ones.  People that take the sides off of their cases are misguided if they think that helps airflow and cooling.  Cases are designed to operate a closed environment so that the airflow can be directed properly over the internal components.  If you remove a side panel and it actually helps the heat dissipation, then there's something wrong with your general cooling overall.  

I've been building computers since the late 1980s as well as repairing them off and on since then, and you'd be surprised the things people do because they think they know what they're talking about.  

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

As far as the hotkey issue - that can be so many things, but I'd recommend, if you have a spare one, putting a different keyboard on your computer to find out if it's a mechanical issue with the keyboard.  
  • AngrySquid270
    140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    With the 1070 did you ever have temp issues?

What are the idle temps of the CPU?

Any pictures of the inside of the case?

What is the ambient temperature in the room when it overheats?

On a scale of 1-10 how confident are you in your abilities to proberly install a heatsink/thermal paste?

When the CPU overheats what is the heatsink fan RPM? Also which heatsink do you have installed?

• CSO7777
    edited August 1
    Magikf1ngers said:

With the advice of removing a PCI plate - I'd absolutely advise against that.  It *will* void any warranty (or an extended warranty if you were duped into buying one) that the card will have.

Sorry was perhaps not precise in my comment, I was referring to unused PCI-slots, not removing the backplate from the GPU (or any other card).
  • TFBisquit
    2282 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    With the side panels off and having the same temps, that rules out the case airflow as a problem.
    I have a feeling the cpu heatsink+fan isn't up to the task with that 2070 card alongside. It probably even gets hotter than that 1070.
    Could be the combo was barely managing with that 1070 already. And since there never came a light on, you never noticed it was on the edge, or close to that.
    Btw, try Hwinfo64. It really works like a charm and shows all kinds of values. You can configure it to show inscreen, while you're gaming. That way you can monitor actual temps and values.
    Btw 2, I figured immidiately the case pci backplates were meant, but since removing the sidepanel didn't help, that wouldn't help either in this scenario.

• Magikf1ngers
    238 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 said:
    Magikf1ngers said:

With the advice of removing a PCI plate - I'd absolutely advise against that.  It *will* void any warranty (or an extended warranty if you were duped into buying one) that the card will have.

Sorry was perhaps not precise in my comment, I was referring to unused PCI-slots, not removing the backplate from the GPU (or any other card).
    Awesome - thanks for clearing that up.  I'm not an advocate for extended warranties, but manufacture warranties absolutely have a place.  

This is why I build my own systems - you buy a pre-built system from most major manufacturers, and you even crack open the case it voids the computer warranty. I learned that the hard way with my first PC (an IBM 8086 in 1986), and started building mine immediately after that.  (My next PC was an 8088 that I built in 1987 when the first one stopped working) 

I meant no disrespect to you for trying to help - just trying to give the best advice I can.  Despite my dissatisfaction with BF:V, DICE, and EA right now - I still care very much about this community.

• Magikf1ngers
    TFBisquit said:
    With the side panels off and having the same temps, that rules out the case airflow as a problem.
    I have a feeling the cpu heatsink+fan isn't up to the task with that 2070 card alongside. It probably even gets hotter than that 1070.
    Could be the combo was barely managing with that 1070 already. And since there never came a light on, you never noticed it was on the edge, or close to that.
    Btw, try Hwinfo64. It really works like a charm and shows all kinds of values. You can configure it to show inscreen, while you're gaming. That way you can monitor actual temps and values.
    Btw 2, I figured immidiately the case pci backplates were meant, but since removing the sidepanel didn't help, that wouldn't help either in this scenario.

One thing that, for some reason, I didn't have ring a bell in my head earlier - 

Check your power supply.  If you don't have a strong enough power supply and you're trying to power the 2070 in a small case, the power drain from the video card could be pulling power away from the fan cooling the CPU.   The recommended power supply for the 2070 is at least a 550w supply - but I'd go at least 750 personally, especially if you're powering multiple USB devices, multiple hard drives, a full bank of memory, and/or a full complement of PCI cards.  

There may not be enough juice to keep up with everything.  Do you know what your power supply rating is?

• iamwiener
    290 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    First TS issue:
    The only reason I can come up with is that if you run BF5 (origin) in admin mode (for whatever reason) hotkeys for a 3rd party software wont work.
    Monitor your temperatures while idle and while gaming with tools like cpuid and gputemp (just 2 examples, others will work fine as well). Am I right that you haven't posted details regarding your cpu fan and case yet?

Also there are fan profiles you can set in bios or mainboard software. I recommend using the highest setting anyway.
    Plz post more details and figures. Otherwise we will not be able to nail down the issue.
  • Magikf1ngers
    One other quick question I have for you - 

Did you build this, or did you buy a pre-built and then add the video card into it?
  • ragnarok013
    3820 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    1. Intel i7 7700 with NVDIA 1070 video card. I purchased a NVDIA 2070, which is obviously more powerful, but also larger. My case is on the small size, but card fits. Only when playing BFV (i don't play any other games), but not during normal operation, I get a red light on motherboard indicating the CPU is getting too hot. This happens after playing for a little while and has gotten worse. I put on a new heat sink and fan with paste and still nothing has changed. Could the large video card and small case cause a thermal issue? I even tried with the side case door off. Or is the CPU not strong enough to communicate with the video card under BFV operation? Or?

2. Recently I noticed my hotkey (number pad 0) not working for activating the mic. I'll be playing then all of a sudden the mic hotkey won't activate the mic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BF5 is a CPU intensive game, do you get the red light when playing with the GTX1070 as well or just when you use the RTX2070?
  • DerDoktorMabuse
    315 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 3
    I have an I7-7700HQ and an invidia 1070... its a laptop... unortunaly the seller of this laptop decided to replace the former 1060 with the mentioned 1070... i have turned this "intel boost technology" off capping my CPU at 2,9Ghz... i did so when BF5 let my laptop overheat (CPU reatched 100 degree celcius and the laptop shuts down) in one summer with extrem hot temperatures...

-------------------------

but NOW my CPU tends to overheat again...since last patch...