New noob, new questions

Cr4bW153
2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hello.

Late arrival to the game, I enjoy the "steampunk" WW1 feel (meaning - all the crazy guns). Have ground my way to Master Sargent rank since downloading the game this month.

Anyway - for Quickmatches: why are there only 4 maps? Sinai, Suez, Achi Baba, and the Austrian/Russian one. Was hoping for greater variety of maps, I want to play on the Wester Front for a change.

(Am aware of Operations, however at this moment I just want to know why there only seem to be the four maps for Quickmatch.)

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• A_al_K_pacino_A
    1203 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Those are just the weekly rotation (that has lasted at least 3 weeks now) and that will change. If you leave the front screen and go to the multiplayer section you will/should find more options plus the server browser so you can see all games and the maps being played.
  • Ronin9572
    1457 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Welcome to BF1! Just some advice quickmatch is broken. Try using the server browser so you can fine tune what your looking for. As far as Operation Campaign there is only 5 sets of maps, so 10 total. Shock Op's has only 5 maps all together.
  • Cr4bW153
    Oh dear. Any news if a fix is in queue?

Will view the server browser for alternatives in the meantime, thanks for the replies.
  • ronybaloney
    366 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Don't use quickmatch. That dumps you into weekly rotation, and it's been the same 5 maps since before Thanksgiving. Use Server browser, set your filters, region,  and set one of your slots to NONE. This allows you to see all the full servers running games.
    You need to search for "Dice official" rotation or something similar which gives you the vanilla map rotation but you will get 12-15 or so maps. If you're lucky enough to find a "mixed" map rotation, that will give all the 30 plus maps the game offers if you have premium edition.  Just join server and wait in Que and you'll get in after a couple minutes. Sadly, this late in the games life, it's very hard to find a lot of variety in maps and even worse in variety of game modes. It's still a fantastic game though, so welcome aboard.

• Cr4bW153
    Detailed instructions - my favorite! No snark, that is extremely helpful information, will use immediately.

OK, next item:

It seems there are some highly coordinated teams operating in this game - is there verbal coordination happening with folks?

(I saw a warning in a Mod-post about spamming platoon recruitment... so I guess there must be coordination of some kind. 

I myself just want to play casually, but obviously the game experience is best when you work together so I try to support as much as possible - my shots are not great currently, hopefully will improve with increased game-play, so I'm most fulfilled when I resupply or heal... but are folks using headsets to speak with each other? Seems "incorrect" to do so in a psuedo-Great War setting, but obviously this is not a re-enactment!)
  • ronybaloney
    People who use headsets and communicate as a team can dominate!
    There are some organized platoons that can wreck, and you will know it when you run up against one.
    Realistically, everybody should be communicating together in their squads. It's why we have squads after all. Helping each other out, working in coordination.
    However, most don't use their mics. I must admit, I don't communicate over the head seat myself because I don't have any friends who play BF1 and I've just never felt comfortable talking with randoms.
    However,
    I do always leave my chat on and every once in a blue moon you can get in a squad that actually strategize together and communicate well, and boy, it's a real eye opener on how much better you can play with a group that actually works together.
    Unfortunately, 99% of the time you hear anything on chat it's because someone accidentally has their mic on and it's baby crying, dog barking, music blaring, yelling at their kids etc....lol.
  • Swam1_Bam1
    29 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Got a question myself: I guess it is in Conquest mode where each time there's one objective highlighted to be captured. Occasionally I end up as squad leader, and I can pick a target. But the weird thing is: why is no other squad leader doing that ? I have seen that multiple times, and nobody is changing the target, only me. That is, when I happen to be squad leader.
  • bleachee
    991 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Swam1_Bam1 wrote: »
    Got a question myself: I guess it is in Conquest mode where each time there's one objective highlighted to be captured. Occasionally I end up as squad leader, and I can pick a target. But the weird thing is: why is no other squad leader doing that ? I have seen that multiple times, and nobody is changing the target, only me. That is, when I happen to be squad leader.

You can't directly see other squad leaders' designated objectives like you see your own. But when you pull up the commo rose the little numbers you see next to each objective tell you how squad leaders are marking each objective.
  • ronybaloney

Because 90% of people don't give a crap, unfortunately. :/
    But that's OK. Just keep on giving orders and try to be a good leader when you are squad leader. Eventually you will actually get in with a few guys that actually care a little bit and it can be really fun. Same goes when you actually do have a squad leader that gives orders. Unless they are completely incompetent, try and be a good team member yourself.
    Also, when you are squad leader you get extra points when orders are followed and flags are captured! So keep giving those orders even if no one is following. You will get extra points just by accident! lol.
  • Forkbeard84
    2046 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    bleachee wrote: »

You can't directly see other squad leaders' designated objectives like you see your own. But when you pull up the commo rose the little numbers you see next to each objective tell you how squad leaders are marking each objective.

Thats what those numbers mean! Haha still learning things about this game, four years in.
  • Swam1_Bam1
    bleachee said:

Wow, I thought that everybody was chasing that target, but it's per squad. OK, makes sense ...

But I don't know what commo rose is, yet. I thought that was another name for spotting.
  • Swam1_Bam1
    Another question: why is the SMG 08 not allowed in some games ? Isn't the Hellriegel about the same ? Arent't some other guns, sort of the same as the SMG 08 ?
    Why just the SMG 08 ?

Cause I'm a noob, I still have no unfair advantage using it, but that is another thing
  • ronybaloney
    Another question: why is the SMG 08 not allowed in some games ? Isn't the Hellriegel about the same ? Arent't some other guns, sort of the same as the SMG 08 ?
    Why just the SMG 08 ?

Cause I'm a noob, I still have no unfair advantage using it, but that is another thing

Once you unlock a gun, you can use it on any game as long as it is not a custom mode or server which blocks out certain weapons/vehicles.
    If you stick with official DICE servers you can use the SMG 08 any time, any where, any map so long as you are running assault.
  • Swam1_Bam1
    Why just the SMG 08 ?

Once you unlock a gun, you can use it on any game as long as it is not a custom mode or server which blocks out certain weapons/vehicles.
    If you stick with official DICE servers you can use the SMG 08 any time, any where, any map so long as you are running assault.

Yes, that is the issue: server blocks it, like : no SMG 08/mortar

The mortar I can understand, but not the SMG 08

It isn't the best gun, it isn't overpowered, it's not even good according to some, so : why block it ?
  • CSO7777
    2091 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Why just the SMG 08 ?

It isn't the best gun, it isn't overpowered, it's not even good according to some, so : why block it ?
    This is how RSP works in older titles as well. BF4 has sniper limits on almost all RSP-servers (and it includes DMRs). I don't like it either, but that is how things are.

The SMG-08 is the easiest/best SMG to use on CQC maps, it outclasses other SMGs with its large mag and high ROF. But it only really shines on some maps and I personally don't understand why it should be banned on any map at all. A shotgun has lower TTK anytime in CQC. On larger maps the gun is nothing special (with longer engagement-ranges).

BF1 has lots of official servers just play on them instead.
  • Ronin9572

Some players don't like certain guns, and some admins of rsp servers are the same way.
  • Forkbeard84
    Yeah the smg 08 is very commonly used.  Its a great smg,  the best really and maybe even op.   I could see some servers banning the more op/popular guns just to give some more variety to the game play.
  • Ronin9572
    Yeah the smg 08 is very commonly used.  Its a great smg,  the best really and maybe even op.   I could see some servers banning the more op/popular guns just to give some more variety to the game play.

I just got into it recently, and I'm loving it! CQC it rocks, but even medium distance can be tricky. I wish the optical version had the old rpm
  • Forkbeard84
    Ronin9572 said:

I just got into it recently, and I'm loving it! CQC it rocks, but even medium distance can be tricky. I wish the optical version had the old rpm
    I love it too.  It's my most used assault weapon.  It just melts up close with hip fire, and the rate of fire is fantastic and the big clip and quick reload.  That gun rocks and is very forgiving.   I'm not the best aimer and don't do well with it far away.  
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4813 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MP18 trench is a better gun IMO.