New noob, new questions

Comments

• Forkbeard84
    2046 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 17
    Yeah the smg 08 is very commonly used.  Its a great smg,  the best really and maybe even op.   I could see some servers banning the more op/popular guns just to give some more variety to the game play.
    MP18 trench is a better gun IMO. 
    Interesting.  I think I've got a service star on it but have not used it in a long time.   Now I'm wanting to go in and give that one some more play time.  What are the differences to you?
  • Ronin9572
    1457 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Interesting.  I think I've got a service star on it but have not used it in a long time.   Now I'm wanting to go in and give that one some more play time.  What are the differences to you?

That's my go to gun when there's a bit of distance on maps, but it'll still do well on CQC maps.
  • Swam1_Bam1
    29 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Another question: occasionally there's a sentry kit lying around, just up for grabs

Thing is: I can't pick it up. Now, I'm thinking there could be two things wrong:
    - maybe you need a certain level to pick it up (it doesn't state it, but ...)
    - there's another function that has this kind of bug: if you remap a function to a key, it works perfectly, but then in the game the info on-screen shown is the default key. If you don't remap, you will never find this behaviour.

I have tried pressing the key (spacebar) for a long time, but that doesn't work either.

It could be fun I guess, but I know how the sentry kit - or one of them at least - works since you can do that in the Monte Grappa single player adventure
  • Swam1_Bam1
    29 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yeah the smg 08 is very commonly used.  Its a great smg,  the best really and maybe even op.   I could see some servers banning the more op/popular guns just to give some more variety to the game play.

Yes, that makes sense, but then at least 2 other weapons have very similar characteristics, and when some servers ban weapons, they NEVER ban the Hellriegel.

I think it is because they Hellriegel is unlocked at a higher level only, so the noobs wouldn't get that one, but they get the SMG 08 earlier though.
    So, I think the problem is not the gun, it's the noobs that are suddenly using good weapons, instead of the default guns.
  • Ronin9572
    edited January 17
    Swam1_Bam1 wrote: »
    Another question: occasionally there's a sentry kit lying around, just up for grabs
    Thing is: I can't pick it up. Now, I'm thinking there could be two things wrong:- maybe you need a certain level to pick it up (it doesn't state it, but ...)- there's another function that has this kind of bug: if you remap a function to a key, it works perfectly, but then in the game the info on-screen shown is the default key. If you don't remap, you will never find this behaviour.

I have tried pressing the key (spacebar) for a long time, but that doesn't work either.
    It could be fun I guess, but I know how the sentry kit - or one of them at least - works since you can do that in the Monte Grappa single player adventure

If there is a elite kit available you should be able to grab it, there's no level to unlock them. The only thing I can think why you can't grab them is there turned off because it's a owned server you are playing on. Alot of ppl despise them. But they can be a blast to use and I've seen some amazing kill streaks with them.
    Post edited by Ronin9572 on
  • OskooI_007
    1437 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 17
    You pick up elite kits by holding down the reload button.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4813 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MP18 trench is a better gun IMO. 
    If you are a ptfo player, then as you move around the map, the average engagement distance increases.   The mp18 has a great hipefire and medium range tap fire.    The smg08 is rubbish for all but cqc and camping.   
  • MarxistDictator
    5340 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 18
    Yea the SMG 08/18 is useless unless you are camping. Forgot to check back into whichever fantasy realm this statement actually makes sense in.

The SMG 08/18 chunks squads and throws such high damage out even when it starts falling off it can easily kill people farther than just CQB. They broke the balance of an already dumb and boring kit with it, like the lMG 08/18 and Browning. After the first two good DLC packs it just became a stale upgrade meta.

Also interesting to see medium range being a powerful niche of an assault weapon in this discussion but not on a gun that is better at that + CQB.
  • Forkbeard84
    2046 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I dare you to knock this chip off my shoulder....
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4813 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yea the SMG 08/18 is useless unless you are camping. Forgot to check back into whichever fantasy realm this statement actually makes sense in.

The SMG 08/18 chunks squads and throws such high damage out even when it starts falling off it can easily kill people farther than just CQB. They broke the balance of an already dumb and boring kit with it, like the lMG 08/18 and Browning. After the first two good DLC packs it just became a stale upgrade meta.

Also interesting to see medium range being a powerful niche of an assault weapon in this discussion but not on a gun that is better at that + CQB.

Yes. Just checked back in on my stats for the SMg08 and MP18.

I do far better with the MP18. I stand by what I said. I know you are an operations player where there is a much higher likliihood of Cqc being the norm. But in conquest it’s not.

• bleachee
    991 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Swam1_Bam1 wrote: »
    Wow, I thought that everybody was chasing that target, but it's per squad. OK, makes sense ...

But I don't know what commo rose is, yet. I thought that was another name for spotting.

The commo rose is the thing you pull up to give commands, or make requests and such. It also has a part that allows the squad leader to target an objective.

Next to the objective letters you will see little numbers, generally 1-4. That's the number of other squad leaders targeting that flag. This is useful info.
  • MarxistDictator
    5340 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I do far better with the MP18. I stand by what I said. I know you are an operations player where there is a much higher likliihood of Cqc being the norm. But in conquest it’s not.

No it really is not. I can still get 60+ kills with it playing CQ on a map like Empire’s Edge. It is literally broken. The modicum of accuracy gain the other SMGs have can’t even touch the volume of fire and damage output inside the range you’d bother using an SMG. Even the MP18 is not actually that great outside CQB because it has much worse fall off than an LMG and a similarly poor fire rate. This is the same reason the Ribbeyrolles is completely underwhelming and not worth chunking the good hipfire of the MP18 for.

The SMG balance has been completely gone in favour of the Thompson and SMG 08/18 since they added both, though the Thompson is more of a PC thing. No point using anything else ultimately.

But that same mid range niche you mention being somehow a strong point of the MP18 is done totally better by the RSC along with it actually being able to beat guns like the SMG 08/18 in close quarters without luck. Weird how depending on the discussion this can go from pointless to valuable.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz

No it really is not. I can still get 60+ kills with it playing CQ on a map like Empire’s Edge. It is literally broken. The modicum of accuracy gain the other SMGs have can’t even touch the volume of fire and damage output inside the range you’d bother using an SMG. Even the MP18 is not actually that great outside CQB because it has much worse fall off than an LMG and a similarly poor fire rate. This is the same reason the Ribbeyrolles is completely underwhelming and not worth chunking the good hipfire of the MP18 for.

The SMG balance has been completely gone in favour of the Thompson and SMG 08/18 since they added both, though the Thompson is more of a PC thing. No point using anything else ultimately.

But that same mid range niche you mention being somehow a strong point of the MP18 is done totally better by the RSC along with it actually being able to beat guns like the SMG 08/18 in close quarters without luck. Weird how depending on the discussion this can go from pointless to valuable.

Oh. I’m sorry. I forgot that your opinion trumps all others because you love the Symthic website.

Please accept my apologies.

I still prefer the MP18.
  • IM_A_BLIND_KID
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

useless and camping you say?.....

• MarxistDictator
    I’m not the one calling the gun situationally useless and not completely broken the whole way around. I am in complete agreement that the gun is insane, it’s like taking a BF3 weapon into this game.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    I’m saying that for MY play style, on the game mode that I play, that the mp18 works better.  I’m sorry that you can’t accept that someone else might have a different opinion.   I know that I am not alone in this view.  @SMK_GAMING_2 and I were discussing this only the other day any I know he prefers the MP18 too.   
  • Greeny_Huwjarz

useless and camping you say?.....

Pulls up video of game on Argonne.  Literally the most CQC map in BF1.   Proving my point.   Thanks.   
  • MarxistDictator
    edited January 19
    And it’s entirely possible to be completely wrong about something again. Especially when your argument has no weight behind it. I prefer the RSC SMG, doesn’t upturn the actual meta of this game in any way. There really isn’t any disputing this without actually discussing the game. The SMG 08/18 destroys all SMGs and the MP18 is mediocre.
  • Ronin9572
    And it’s entirely possible to be completely wrong about something again. Especially when your argument has no weight behind it. I prefer the RSC SMG, doesn’t upturn the actual meta of this game in any way. There really isn’t any disputing this without actually discussing the game. The SMG 08/18 destroys all SMGs and the MP18 is mediocre.

Tbh some ppl don't care about meta, or symthic stats. They play what the like, and enjoy what works well for them. Does that make them wrong?
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    Yes - and as we have already proven, you hold viewpoints that are contrary to the beliefs of 99.8% of the community. 

The MP18 has a sizeable following. Despite its 'mediocity' it is used for 11% of the assault class kills.  Let's compare that with your beloved RSC. Both classes together make up 0.2% of all kills.  On RSC variant has literally NOONE using it on out days. NO ONE. 

The MP18 is used more that 55 times more than the gun you claim to be the best.  Perhaps it's you that has proven to be wrong?