Playing with High Ping Bites Really Hard

Forkbeard84
1985 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Hi Everyone, 

Just saying high ping is much harder to play with than low ping.   

I 'm on PS4 located in US West, and over the course of the last couple of days have just ground out 5 ops packs.  For 3 of the packs I  could only play US East at 103 ping.  103 pings not the greatest but you can make it work but its not like the 41ms ping you get on US West.     For two of the packs which took me a lot longer, I had to grind them out in the EU at a terrible182ms ping, i could not hit anyone and my kd went way down, eventually got the points after many more rounds than usual.  Then after I was all done I opened my 5 packs and  like usual did not get one new skin.  Got some good scraps though.  I have the Russian Axe and 16 extra pieces.  Haha!

So then for fun I went into a game of conquest in US West.  Played assault at a glorious 41 ping!  41 ping is truly smooth and as good as it gets for me.  I envy some of my fellow US Westers who are getting 17 ping.  17 ping!   Imagine how smooth that must be.

But 41ms is still awesome and my shots were on and I just felt like I aimed and got on target quicker.  I became a killing machine having become calibrated by taking off the heavy weight of 182 ping.  Its all about the ping.  The first game, I Got 14-6 kd playing Assault  and the highlight for flags captured which was good for me.

Anyways, if you are a player that always plays with high ping, I can empathize.  Sometimes, people bragging on stats leave out how great of a ping environment they play in.  Ping is a big factor in twitch and aiming and general accuracy and information on your screen.   Low ping is big advantage in the game. 

Comments

• A_al_K_pacino_A
    1181 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree.

I did a bit of experimenting on Bfv seeing what it was like with a higher ping and basically the other team were completely safe from harm. I'll stick to my 21(EU) or 81(USE) thanks.

I do wonder how the high pingers do well though, is a matter of getting used to it or is their experience at a high ping different from mine?
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4756 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Forkbeard - I do not think that is always the case. 

I know many of then guys that I play with, (but it is not universal) find that playing at a ping from EU to US East sits in the sweet spot. Circa 80-90 ping. 

My take in this is that the compensation works best if you don't have a super high ping or a super low ping. Its like you want to be close to the middle.

Notwithstanding this, the quality of my experience seems to be almost entirely dictated by how many players have pings >125, where the compensation seems to stop working and you get the bad stuff happening regularly: invisible players, bullet sponges, disappearing bullets etc.

It feels to me, although I have no empirical evidence or science behind this, that there is a ping range of 120-150 where the game is pretty playable for the highpinger but makes it like mush for the enemy. 

My platoon switched to US East servers when the EU servers became infested by EMEA players (mainly UAE and Saudi's) when EA thought it would be a good idea to disable the server for an entire contingent (N African and Middle East). It was a disaster for the playability in EU servers. At periods there are more players with >100 ping than <100.

• ronybaloney
    339 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'm lucky enough to be one of those 17 ping guys in US West. It is indeed, glorious.
    However, as a Conquest guy it's been maddening and infuriating to only have 1915 maps active in West the last couple months. (I know... I'm a broken record :s ). Just wanna puke playing those 5 maps over and over. Haven't been playing as much because of it. I'm definitely a believer that DICE really does want to kill and bury this game. That's why it's so confusing it was chosen as one of the PS5 legacy games, or highlight games or whatever??

• Greeny_Huwjarz
    4756 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm lucky enough to be one of those 17 ping guys in US West. It is indeed, glorious.
    However, as a Conquest guy it's been maddening and infuriating to only have 1915 maps active in West the last couple months. (I know... I'm a broken record :s ). Just wanna puke playing those 5 maps over and over. Haven't been playing as much because of it. I'm definitely a believer that DICE really does want to kill and bury this game. That's why it's so confusing it was chosen as one of the PS5 legacy games, or highlight games or whatever??

Its really quite disgusting that PS5 can have this as marketed a launch game whilst the game developer sits and lets it rot. What a message for the future support we will see for BF6. 
  • Ronin9572
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Its really quite disgusting that PS5 can have this as marketed a launch game whilst the game developer sits and lets it rot. What a message for the future support we will see for BF6. 

Don't worry, that game will bomb! They've lost touch with what makes a good game!
  • IM_A_BLIND_KID
    104 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Try playing against 63 people with >150 ping. I’d slap the person who thought “I know I’ll flick a switch to put people into a region they don’t even come from...yeah that’s such a cool idea” bunch of fools.
  • OskooI_007
    1416 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can play fine with a 120 ping, but once it gets up around 180 ping movement gets laggy and I'll start missing hits with the raider club at point blank range.

But yeah, I'll take a low ping over a high one.
  • Forkbeard84

I know many of then guys that I play with, (but it is not universal) find that playing at a ping from EU to US East sits in the sweet spot. Circa 80-90 ping. 

My take in this is that the compensation works best if you don't have a super high ping or a super low ping. Its like you want to be close to the middle.

Notwithstanding this, the quality of my experience seems to be almost entirely dictated by how many players have pings >125, where the compensation seems to stop working and you get the bad stuff happening regularly: invisible players, bullet sponges, disappearing bullets etc.

It feels to me, although I have no empirical evidence or science behind this, that there is a ping range of 120-150 where the game is pretty playable for the highpinger but makes it like mush for the enemy. 

My platoon switched to US East servers when the EU servers became infested by EMEA players (mainly UAE and Saudi's) when EA thought it would be a good idea to disable the server for an entire contingent (N African and Middle East). It was a disaster for the playability in EU servers. At periods there are more players with >100 ping than <100.

Are you saying if you had the choice of picking 20ms ping versus 80ms ping that you would pick 80? For me, I’ll take 20 ping over 80 ping with compensation. You’ve got to still be losing some data at 80 ping. I know the compensation helps and Ive heard others say they actually want a high ping due to the compensation but my experience has always been I do much better with low (41ms for me) ping. I’m not going off any compensation theories just actual gameplay. For me the lower the ping the better I play, especially in cqc roles where you need quick twitch.
  • Forkbeard84
    I agree.

I did a bit of experimenting on Bfv seeing what it was like with a higher ping and basically the other team were completely safe from harm. I'll stick to my 21(EU) or 81(USE) thanks.

I do wonder how the high pingers do well though, is a matter of getting used to it or is their experience at a high ping different from mine?

I think high pingers have slower twitch but they can do well by compensating for this in playstyle. For example a high pinger might tend toward a camping or vehicle style of play where you dont need as much twitch. Or play support or medic supporting roles where you dont have to kill enemies.

Also I’ve been a high pinger on far away Middle East servers and used the ghosting effect while playing a horse. I was running around so fast with my horse with high ping the enemy was always seeing my old position and couldnt hit me but I had a hard time hitting them too due to the lack of data. I’d still rather play the horse with low ping.

High pingers can do ok but low ping is always better. Imho.

• Forkbeard84

17ms ping, glorious!   You are lucky in that sense if only we could find US West games huh?   I share your frustration with US West.  Why are there so few US West games compared to US East.  Is it just quickmatch putting everyone into US East or something else.  I almost always end up in US East these days at  around 103 ping.  Doh!
  • Ronin9572
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    17ms ping, glorious!   You are lucky in that sense if only we could find US West games huh?   I share your frustration with US West.  Why are there so few US West games compared to US East.  Is it just quickmatch putting everyone into US East or something else.  I almost always end up in US East these days at  around 103 ping.  Doh!

Yeah it was weird how the West Coast servers sorta dried up. Well with my experience sometimes the ping don't matter if your ISP bites...
  • ronybaloney

I've never understood the server distribution, honestly. It's just been really weird the last couple months that ALL quickmatch traffic for Conquest (weekly rotation) has been dumped in US West. It's NEVER been distributed that way in the past. Ops must be just the opposite? I have no idea why they would do it this way. Just like to **** us off I guess lol.
    I do definitely feel playing at 17 ping is a better experience than when I play at 95 on East.

• Greeny_Huwjarz

Are you saying if you had the choice of picking 20ms ping versus 80ms ping that you would pick 80? For me, I’ll take 20 ping over 80 ping with compensation. You’ve got to still be losing some data at 80 ping. I know the compensation helps and Ive heard others say they actually want a high ping due to the compensation but my experience has always been I do much better with low (41ms for me) ping. I’m not going off any compensation theories just actual gameplay. For me the lower the ping the better I play, especially in cqc roles where you need quick twitch.
    Yes.  That’s exactly what I am saying.  I used to play on EU at 20 ping, and my US east at 90 is much better. Less weird stuff happens.   Perhaps someone might be able to explain why.   
  • Plucky6922
    550 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
      90 is much better. Less weird stuff happens.   Perhaps someone might be able to explain why.   

Lag compensation is in your favor.

• Forkbeard84

Yes.  That’s exactly what I am saying.  I used to play on EU at 20 ping, and my US east at 90 is much better. Less weird stuff happens.   Perhaps someone might be able to explain why.   
    Well maybe there is a difference between my 40 and 100 ping experience and your 20 and 90 ping experience.  I know you've played a bunch and like to take data.  I've played a lot as well and I'm certain that 40 ping on US West usually gives me better performance.  

I thought of a possible experiment, what do you think?  Collect screenshots of final scoreboards to see how the pings fall on the scoreboard.  Given a random distribution of pings between talented and less talented players, the scoreboards might indicate if pings give an advantage.
  • ronybaloney
    Oops, I was wrong. My Ping is 27 not 17.  :(
    I still think 27 performs better than 95 for me. Who knows? Maybe it's only psychological? I also get packet loss icons and the others blinking like Christmas lights when I play East. Too bad there is not a stat tracker that records your accuracy and k/d by region. I think that would certainly settle the argument.

• MarxistDictator
    5340 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I moved west after starting playing this game and even though I went from having mostly the same ping in both US server regions to low west/higher east I never really noticed a difference. Trying to play in European servers with 130ms is garbage, but playing around 80-100 (depends on how much my rate is being used since I have a ton of internet users in my house with my renters) didn’t ever seem much worse for wear than being 20ms.

The only time low ping legitimately felt like an advantage was when they launched TSNP and revamped the netcode to favour the low ping player in CQB. They immediately caved and reverted this back one update later.
  • Forkbeard84
    Oops, I was wrong. My Ping is 27 not 17.  :(
    I still think 27 performs better than 95 for me. Who knows? Maybe it's only psychological? I also get packet loss icons and the others blinking like Christmas lights when I play East. Too bad there is not a stat tracker that records your accuracy and k/d by region. I think that would certainly settle the argument.

Only 27?  I dont feel so bad now. Haha.  Yep some data tracking by region could answer the question. 

I moved west after starting playing this game and even though I went from having mostly the same ping in both US server regions to low west/higher east I never really noticed a difference. Trying to play in European servers with 130ms is garbage, but playing around 80-100 (depends on how much my rate is being used since I have a ton of internet users in my house with my renters) didn’t ever seem much worse for wear than being 20ms.

The only time low ping legitimately felt like an advantage was when they launched TSNP and revamped the netcode to favour the low ping player in CQB. They immediately caved and reverted this back one update later.
    I remember when they "fixed" the netcode for low ping.  Those were glorious days for low pingers while they lasted but the high pingers were up in arms.
  • Plucky6922
    550 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I remember when they "fixed" the netcode for low ping.  Those were glorious days for low pingers while they lasted but the high pingers were up in arms.

That was the best 5 days of Battlefield Netcode in the history of the game.
  • doozer8385
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Anyone know what the best satellite internet is? I don't have cable internet available where I live (michigan, small town) and I'm forced to use my hotspot. My ping is usually 100-165 and it definitely sucks playing against people with 20-100 ping. Any help would be appreciated.