Game instability: attack planes!

Comments

• Forkbeard84
    2042 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 26
    @forkbeard84 - are you sure the timer s 2 mins for a plane? I don't fly so I don't know, but I assumed it was the same for all vehicles, and tanks on A and E flags of Mont Grappa seem to almost insta respawn, so I thought it was the same. In any order, it's too short

OK so this is what I know about vehicle respawn. I have and still do play a lot of tanks and calvary. Planes i dont play much but im pretty sure planes respawn at the same rate as tanks and calvary. They are all vehicles with respawn circles on the maps.

Conquest games are easy to track because they have a timer that you can watch while you’re waiting in the repawn screen. Wanna go to the bathroom? This could be a good time because you know you’ll have a good two minutes of waiting for the next tank to show. You should try to get back about 30 to 15 seconds early and start hitting X like mad to make sure you beat anybody else that might also be trying to click your spawn. And sometimes they do seem to respawn a few seconds early, like 10 seconds maybe, not sure what is going on when that seems to happen.

Operations doesn’t have a handy on screen timer to watch, but I believe the two minute timer there applies as well. That’s what it feels like anyways. However in ops, right after a sector is taken I think the vehicles may sometimes respawn quicker.
  • trip1ex
    5331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 26
    Doesn't take much effort to bring them down and it's fun to do *shrug*

If it was fun to do then pilots wouldn’t regularly be going 60-2. People don’t take them down because it’s not fun to do.
    I can't recall the last attack plane to go 60-2 when playing BF1 on pc.   

It would have to be one of the very top pilots to do that or really bad worse than 0 pilots on the other side mixed with little to no aa and groundfire.

Maybe on OPerations? 
  • trip1ex
    5331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Oh is KD or SPM important? Oh ok ;^)

The smug satisfaction of downing 'pro' pilots beats stats e-peen every time for me.

No. Winning matters. And you can have more influence taking flags than taking down planes that constantly respawn.......

The planes don’t win games. They can help, sure.....but it’s taking flags that wins games.
    Of course, but a pro pilot can stop you having any armor at all, so... sometimes it's a valuable service to counter them.  Sometimes no armor = no flags.

It depends.  My best round as a pilot was 75-0 and we lost.   

I've noticed that it is often best to ignore the air power if you are playing to win.  I think what it comes down to is not wasting too many resources for too little of a result.  

• Forkbeard84
    Ronin9572 wrote: »
    If there's one thing I can't stand is a KD farmer in planes. I'll just stop what I'm doing and just flat out hunt these punks down! Im no stanger to the QF AA gun as this is the top vehicle I have kills on with one account and #2 behind horses on another account. The Attack plane is definitely the hardest to bring down especially with a competent pilot and gunner.

Ha ha yup I’ll do the same thing sometimes just for revenge, but especially if I’m on an objective and the pilot really seems to be making a difference like he comes in and he slaughters most of your team and in your death cam, you watch two or three squads of the enemy team roll in and quickly mop up any survivors and flip your objective. That pilot needs to be dealt with or maybe its time to switch teams? :-)
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4808 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex said:
    Doesn't take much effort to bring them down and it's fun to do *shrug*

If it was fun to do then pilots wouldn’t regularly be going 60-2. People don’t take them down because it’s not fun to do.
    I can't recall the last attack plane to go 60-2 when playing BF1 on pc.   

It would have to be one of the very top pilots to do that or really bad worse than 0 pilots on the other side mixed with little to no aa and groundfire.

Maybe on OPerations? 
    Pilots regularly rack up cricket scores on PLayStation.    I’ve posted many example screenshots in these forums....perhaps less so on pc.  I don’t know.    
  • Ronin9572
    1455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Ronin9572 wrote: »
    If there's one thing I can't stand is a KD farmer in planes. I'll just stop what I'm doing and just flat out hunt these punks down! Im no stanger to the QF AA gun as this is the top vehicle I have kills on with one account and #2 behind horses on another account. The Attack plane is definitely the hardest to bring down especially with a competent pilot and gunner.

Ha ha yup I’ll do the same thing sometimes just for revenge, but especially if I’m on an objective and the pilot really seems to be making a difference like he comes in and he slaughters most of your team and in your death cam, you watch two or three squads of the enemy team roll in and quickly mop up any survivors and flip your objective. That pilot needs to be dealt with or maybe its time to switch teams? :-)

It's the little things in life that are the sweetest...
  • Forkbeard84
    The really good bomber pilots fly and bomb really high up from the flight ceiling.  I've not found a  good way to deal with those guys from the ground and generally don't try to mess with them.
  • Ronin9572
    The really good bomber pilots fly and bomb really high up from the flight ceiling.  I've not found a  good way to deal with those guys from the ground and generally don't try to mess with them.

Tbh I haven't seen one of those in some time. Most of these pilots don't have the patience to get that high and to bomb well.
  • disposalist
    9008 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited January 27
    LMGs. The MG1917 has a massive range and can at least keep them at bay if not take them down. You just have to practice your target leading. They are enormous and easy to shoot.
  • Forkbeard84
    LMGs. The MG1917 has a massive range and can at least keep them at bay if not take them down. You just have to practice your target leading. They are enormous and easy to shoot.
    Yes I'm a fan of using the lmgs on planes.  Its just when the planes are up high you wont get much help from AA fire because of its limited range.  So, its harder to knock them down unless you have multiple lmgs firing or maybe a friendly pilot helping.
  • disposalist
    9008 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Yes I'm a fan of using the lmgs on planes.  Its just when the planes are up high you wont get much help from AA fire because of its limited range.  So, its harder to knock them down unless you have multiple lmgs firing or maybe a friendly pilot helping.
    I tend to spawn a support and go to an AA.  I use the LMG until they are in AA range. If they don't come within AA range then they aren't going to be able to bomb anyone near me anyway and they are neutralised.

*shrug* I know people don't agree with me on this.  I guess I find shooting down planes more fun than others ;+)
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4808 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I tend to spawn a support and go to an AA.  I use the LMG until they are in AA range. If they don't come within AA range then they aren't going to be able to bomb anyone near me anyway and they are neutralised.

*shrug* I know people don't agree with me on this.  I guess I find shooting down planes more fun than others ;+)
    Yes - you are very odd.......but we still love you.......
  • Ronin9572

Actually im the same way. Even if I don't kill them I know I'm enough of a distraction where their not killing anyone. I've seen more than a few ppl just quit because they get killed a few times!
  • ronybaloney
    358 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I loooove shooting down planes. Some nights that's all I care to do, regardless of k/d or score. It's fun! :p
    I never could get the hang of AA rockets though.
  • Ronin9572
    I did it tonight during a round of Op's on Galicia. 7 heavy bombers, 2 attack planes, an assault truck, and 5 enemies on the ground. I was laughing the whole time!
  • Forkbeard84
    edited January 28
    I loooove shooting down planes. Some nights that's all I care to do, regardless of k/d or score. It's fun! :p
    I don't think you're alone in your feelings about the aa rocket.  I often feel like I'm the only one talking about how good they are.  Maybe my love for the aa rocket is because I spent so much time with a heavy tank trying to shoot down planes.  I was always taking potshots's at planes with the Canon.  It is a one shot kill but you have to hit them directly so I got pretty good at leading them with the canon and picking the moment to fire.  I ended up shooting down a lot of planes with the tank canon.   

During my time as a heavy tanker,  the tank hunter attack plane was my worst nemesis.  There was basically nothing I could do about a good tank hunter attack plane.   I could occasionally shoot them down with my Canon but they usually ended up destroying me.    A good tank hunter attack plan could basically destroy me off the field to where I didn't want to spawn a tank anymore. I started thinking about a way to get revenge.  I am a terrible pilot so that was not an option for me.  So I ended up trying aa rockets.   When a tank  hunter attack plane pestered me so bad and destroyed my tank a couple of times, I would respawn as assault with aa rockets and try to get them.

When I started using the aa rockets I was amazed to find out that they explode in general proximity to the plane and they were much, much easier than the heavy tank canon to  hit  with.   You don't need a direct hit, you just need to get kind of close.   But you needed to score more than one hit to bring the plane down.  Anyways maybe I'm just an odd duck with my love for the aa rocket.   I don't see that many players using them or hear many people even talking about them as a plane counter but they sure do seem useful to me.
  • Forkbeard84
    Ronin9572 said:
    I did it tonight during a round of Op's on Galicia. 7 heavy bombers, 2 attack planes, an assault truck, and 5 enemies on the ground. I was laughing the whole time!
    Wow that's a super high vehicle count!  Good job, what were you using?
  • Ronin9572
    edited January 28
    Just the QF 1 AA gun! I did breakout my M1917 when I was helping push the objectives and so I could keep the planes at bay. I've had rounds where I destroyed 15 vehicles a few times. Ppl think the QF 1AA only damages planes but it takes every thing out. Plus I always keep my repair tool handy if pilots do take me and the AA out. Ppl just forget about the gun when it's destroyed and than that's when I surprise them! I've gotten alot of fan mail over the years from taking out so many ppl with the QF 1 AA gun. Hehe
  • ronybaloney
    358 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I don't think you're alone in your feelings about the aa rocket.  I often feel like I'm the only one talking about how good they are.  Maybe my love for the aa rocket is because I spent so much time with a heavy tank trying to shoot down planes.  I was always taking potshots's at planes with the Canon.  It is a one shot kill but you have to hit them directly so I got pretty good at leading them with the canon and picking the moment to fire.  I ended up shooting down a lot of planes with the tank canon.   

During my time as a heavy tanker,  the tank hunter attack plane was my worst nemesis.  There was basically nothing I could do about a good tank hunter attack plane.   I could occasionally shoot them down with my Canon but they usually ended up destroying me.    A good tank hunter attack plan could basically destroy me off the field to where I didn't want to spawn a tank anymore. I started thinking about a way to get revenge.  I am a terrible pilot so that was not an option for me.  So I ended up trying aa rockets.   When a tank  hunter attack plane pestered me so bad and destroyed my tank a couple of times, I would respawn as assault with aa rockets and try to get them.

When I started using the aa rockets I was amazed to find out that they explode in general proximity to the plane and they were much, much easier than the heavy tank canon to  hit  with.   You don't need a direct hit, you just need to get kind of close.   But you needed to score more than one hit to bring the plane down.  Anyways maybe I'm just an odd duck with my love for the aa rocket.   I don't see that many players using them or hear many people even talking about them as a plane counter but they sure do seem useful to me.

Thanks for the breakdown Forkbeard!
    I just have to lol about you shooting down airplanes in the tank because I have tried so many freaking times to do that and I just can't do it! I swear I lead them just right and it misses every time. I'd even say it seems to go right through the plane. The only time I've ever downed a plane in a tank was by a total freak accident. I Wasn't even aiming at a plane but a low flyer came buzzing by and flew right into my shot! lol. What a surprise. At the time, I didn't even know it was possible to shoot airplanes with the cannon, but since I know it is possible, I keep trying and failing......ugh! Guess I'll keep at it.
    I'll also give AA rockets another try. Next time I play Monte Grappa, I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how it goes.
    One thing about reading these forums is it makes me realize what a clown I am at this game. I'm probably the worst player here but I love this game so I don't really care. I'm just a BF1 fool. :)
    Glad you guys are around to learn from.
  • Forkbeard84
    edited January 30

Thanks for the breakdown Forkbeard!
    I just have to lol about you shooting down airplanes in the tank because I have tried so many freaking times to do that and I just can't do it! I swear I lead them just right and it misses every time. I'd even say it seems to go right through the plane. The only time I've ever downed a plane in a tank was by a total freak accident. I Wasn't even aiming at a plane but a low flyer came buzzing by and flew right into my shot! lol. What a surprise. At the time, I didn't even know it was possible to shoot airplanes with the cannon, but since I know it is possible, I keep trying and failing......ugh! Guess I'll keep at it.
    I'll also give AA rockets another try. Next time I play Monte Grappa, I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how it goes.
    One thing about reading these forums is it makes me realize what a clown I am at this game. I'm probably the worst player here but I love this game so I don't really care. I'm just a BF1 fool. :)
    Glad you guys are around to learn from.
    Rony I can tell just by your attitude that you're a good player and I would love to play in your squad anytime.   I have not looked at your stats and don't care to or need to.   I can just tell by your attitude, your love for the game and how long you played and the stuff you post that you're a good player.

Regarding the tank shooting down planes, maybe its sensitivity settings and stuff like that because I've messed around a lot with sensitivity settings.   I'm always playing with soldier sensitivity zoom sensitivity vehicle sensitivity and vehicle field of view and I usually use the heavy assault tank Canon which is maybe a little different from some of the other tank cannons.   The Assault Truck for instance is terrible at shooting down planes.   Oh and one trick for aiming is find a spot in the sky where the plane is going to be, let your aim settle there a bit, anticipate when the plane will be there and then fire your canon to meet the plane at that spot.  Also the closer they are, they fill the sky more and are much easier to hit.  Bombers are so slow they are the easiest to practice shooting down.  And when a plane is coming at you head on, it gives you a lot of time and requires less movement  to line up your shot.  This aiming technique is how I use the aa rockets too.

Anyway good luck if you ever do try again, the nice thing about trying to shoot down planes with tanks is you can do it on your own time, spawn a tank then sit back and have fun taking potshots at planes