Is the AA Gun OP

Comments

• B3ANTOWN__B3A5T
    4364 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Itdidnt wrote: »
    There is absolutely 0 reason to favor an actual nerf over a reduction of the amount of AA guns. Take a look at 40 man operations mode, there are rarely more then 3 AA guns available which, coupled with the long respawn time, create a balanced environment. Having a squad concentrate on disabling AA guns or taking them down right at the start of the match plays a dictating role in the outcome of operations mode.
    From a gameplay point of view, keeping the currently powerful AA guns while reducing the amount of placements adds a intriguing tactical layer to BF one that the franchise has been lacking for quite a few installments.
    Yeah maybe it wouldnt be as obnoxious if they weren't around almost every flag. I've just started my runs scanning for turrets as if you catch one unaware you can close the gap and kill them before they kill you...problem being it will only fool someone once.

This is exactly how I feel. Sometimes there's a cluster of 3 or so AAs with a couple hundred meters of eachother. Why the hell are there SO MANY...
  • smexerz
    5 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The AA needs a big nerf, if the person that operates the AA can aim for 5 cents they will shoot down planes in 5 seconds.
  • CoyotexStarrk619
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    smexerz wrote: »
    The AA needs a big nerf, if the person that operates the AA can aim for 5 cents they will shoot down planes in 5 seconds.

Whoa whoa whoa.....you are telling me that the ANTI-AIR gun shoots down planes effectively!??!!?!?

How shocking
  • TheSacar
    1005 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    I absolutely agree with the view of Subcool789: The whole thing boils town to a question of fairness. It takes an AA turret 5-15 seconds to severely disable a plane (though in my experience when it comes to attack planes its often a direct kill) causing the plane to be out of the battle for 30 to 60 seconds, all the while the AA gun can continue to fire at other planes. So as an AA gunner at best I can disable/kill up to three planes before the forth has repaired and comes in to attack me again.

Also it does take at least some skill to use a plane (meaning to at least not fly it into the next tree but actually hit something with your weapons every now and then) but it takes little to no skill to use the AA turret. As a pilot you need to memorize the location of the turrets as they cannot be easily seen from the sky (unless they're firing, then you can see the tracers if you are not their target yourself). As an AA gunner you easily see the planes. In my opinion it should be a close to even battle between a plane and AA, with the advantage ever so slightly in favor of AA. Right now its basically AA winning 99% of the times even against far better pilots than myself.

What I would like to see is a situation where aiming the AA is much harder, but with perfect aim you can kill a plane before the gun overheats. However, if, as an AA gunner, you miss one or two shots the plane should have enough maneuverability left to be able to take you out before the turret can shoot again.
    On another note: Does anyone feel like the attack plane could use just a little more armor? To me it feels like it goes down a tiny bit too quickly from the rear guns of enemy planes. But perhaps that is just my noobishness?
  • VizualEyez89
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    IMO there are too many AA guns on a map with their range right now. Some maps have 4, then you factor in the AA truck and it gets to where you can only fly out of bounds lol.
  • Halogen1337
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This is the only thing that makes me not to go into plane, literally getting 1 shot from it its insane OP vs planes
  • SniperWOLF-G
    143 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Either way, AA is not OP since a single grenade can take it out.

That is wrong, you can't take out an AA with a single grenade, even with a Tankbuster rifle it needs 2 Hits.

Baxley here has spent an hour in air vehicles, and in that hour has accumulated 8 kills. He has spent 19 minutes in the AA and has gotten 27 kills with the AA. He fails to realize that the fighter planes role is for anti air,and things the ground AA is the only option. 'nough said.

Thx for unmasking those people!
    27 Kills in 19 Minutes, holy jesus... That is not bad.
    If i would take this same ratio for my flight time i would have like 1700 kills instead of like ~400 i actually have. That is more than 4x times the Kills you make in the Air... I should overthink my passion...

Now i understand why those people are so upset when we want to get the AA nerfed a little bit. This AA is like the honeypot at the end of the rainbow for them... if it would get nerfed a little it would totally destroy their lives!
  • Captain_DarIing
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Its not that you cant avoid AA.

You can see where the AA fire is coming from if you use freelook. Either go real high or drop down in an unexpected pattern to use the terrain and block line of sight (the maps dó facilitate it), or simply fly out of range, which is not ''across the map'', its really not that hard.

Even if you come under heavy AA fire, its still possible to escape it. Either by the bomber-killer loadout (the speed boost) or by dropping low instantly while doing a barrel roll (hard to predict for the AA gunner).

And yes, it is unwise to chase enemy airplanes into the AA zone. Isnt that the intention? It almost smells like some coordination and even... teamplay?

Pilots: ''But ma dogfights!!! MUH METAGAME !!!! I DIDNT PLAY BF TO GET DISRUPTED IN MY DOGFIGHTS!''

Well, perhaps BF is not the game suited for you, and a dedicated flightsim is more your style.

Ask your team to move up. A good rule of thumb is to fly above friendly territory, and be aware above enemy territory for... you guessed it... AA !!!

• VizualEyez89
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    Except AA guns range WILL extend into your "friendly skies"
  • Trokey66
    8980 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Either way, AA is not OP since a single grenade can take it out.

That is wrong, you can't take out an AA with a single grenade, even with a Tankbuster rifle it needs 2 Hits.

Baxley here has spent an hour in air vehicles, and in that hour has accumulated 8 kills. He has spent 19 minutes in the AA and has gotten 27 kills with the AA. He fails to realize that the fighter planes role is for anti air,and things the ground AA is the only option. 'nough said.

Thx for unmasking those people!
    27 Kills in 19 Minutes, holy jesus... That is not bad.
    If i would take this same ratio for my flight time i would have like 1700 kills instead of like ~400 i actually have. That is more than 4x times the Kills you make in the Air... I should overthink my passion...

Now i understand why those people are so upset when we want to get the AA nerfed a little bit. This AA is like the honeypot at the end of the rainbow for them... if it would get nerfed a little it would totally destroy their lives!

Ahhh but TGS is very black and white.

I got a load of AA kills last night by shooting down a Zepplin.

It took ages and I was shot off it twice so it managed to do a lot of damage before finally being downed.
    Itdidnt wrote: »
    There is absolutely 0 reason to favor an actual nerf over a reduction of the amount of AA guns. Take a look at 40 man operations mode, there are rarely more then 3 AA guns available which, coupled with the long respawn time, create a balanced environment. Having a squad concentrate on disabling AA guns or taking them down right at the start of the match plays a dictating role in the outcome of operations mode.
    From a gameplay point of view, keeping the currently powerful AA guns while reducing the amount of placements adds a intriguing tactical layer to BF one that the franchise has been lacking for quite a few installments.
    Yeah maybe it wouldnt be as obnoxious if they weren't around almost every flag. I've just started my runs scanning for turrets as if you catch one unaware you can close the gap and kill them before they kill you...problem being it will only fool someone once.

This is exactly how I feel. Sometimes there's a cluster of 3 or so AAs with a couple hundred meters of eachother. Why the hell are there SO MANY...

Played Monte Grappa last night and tried to make a point if visiting all AA sites. Of the ones I visited, ALL have very restricted view because of terrain with very little, if any over lapping arcs of fire.

The only way that "too many AA sites" would be a problem is if a team allowed them all to be manned.

If that is happening, you and your team deserve to be hammered!
  • Captain_DarIing
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    That's a no-brainer, as long as airplanes can shoot enemy ground to do damage from that part of friendly skies, that will be needed. Besides, there is plenty enough friendly, teamflagged airspace to freely fly around in.

Situational awareness is something many BF pilots lack greatly. Hell, many of them never even use freelook.
  • SniperWOLF-G
    143 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Its not that you cant avoid AA.

You can see where the AA fire is coming from if you use freelook. Either go real high or drop down in an unexpected pattern to use the terrain and block line of sight (the maps dó facilitate it), or simply fly out of range, which is not ''across the map'', its really not that hard.

So many false stuff in a few lines can only come from someone who isn't actually flying

1. there is no free look. Point
    2. You imply that you always see the AA gun fireing when you fly over the map.. but that is not always the case. if the AA isn't firing you simply don't know if one of the 2-5 AA's on the Map are used. And when it starts firing the moment you pass it, then you are screwed. No chance to escape or "see and avoid" it.

• VizualEyez89
    That's a no-brainer, as long as airplanes can shoot enemy ground to do damage from that part of friendly skies, that will be needed. Besides, there is plenty enough friendly, teamflagged airspace to freely fly around in.

Situational awareness is something many BF pilots lack greatly. Hell, many of them never even use freelook.

While I agree, there are maps with 4 AA guns and the option to have an AA truck. I played a game tonight where all i could do was fly in and out of bounds to bomb rise/repeat. It takes the fun away when you have those games where flying is absolutely pointless.
  • Trokey66
    8980 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

While I agree, there are maps with 4 AA guns and the option to have an AA truck. I played a game tonight where all i could do was fly in and out of bounds to bomb rise/repeat. It takes the fun away when you have those games where flying is absolutely pointless.

And in that game you got zero kills and lots of deaths?
  • Germinativum
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just make them turn like the FK96.
  • maamyyra
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    There is a huge problem in the Ballroom Blitz. You can drive the AA truck right next to the enemy main (in the map top right corner) and shoot every plane down before they can even react. The place is also pretty far away from flags so you can safely mow planes down.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Verityrant
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't think it is OP considering that without the AA gun there is almost no reliable way for infantry to deal with aircraft. There are no rocket launchers in this game other than the one on assault that must be fired from prone and does rinky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ damage. Vehicles are already pretty OP unless assault players are around to deal with it. AA is pretty much all people have for aircraft, and they can be destroyed and aren't always available, at least in game modes like Operations and Rush depending on the zone you are in.
  • DominicO65
    516 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think all it needs is a cooldown and a range reduction
  • Subcool789
    667 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Verityrant wrote: »
    I don't think it is OP considering that without the AA gun there is almost no reliable way for infantry to deal with aircraft. There are no rocket launchers in this game other than the one on assault that must be fired from prone and does rinky **** damage. Vehicles are already pretty OP unless assault players are around to deal with it. AA is pretty much all people have for aircraft, and they can be destroyed and aren't always available, at least in game modes like Operations and Rush depending on the zone you are in.

This is not true. Small arms fire can damage planes and it does. I have to pull out regularly from combined small arms fire. In addition, there were no infantry methods in WW1 to take out Air except for shooting their guns at them, which they did.

If you get killed by a tank in one shot without any chance to fight the tank in your current life, you can spawn as Assault and go after the tank. If you get killed by bombs or a plane without being able to shoot back, you can spawn at an AA location and then go after the plane. Why is getting killed by air any different than getting killed by a tank or sniper and then using your next life to go after them?

Should a infantry man have methods to take down planes and tanks easily and regularly? Assault already has many tools for the tanks because they are both on the ground. There are a wealth of AA guns on each map, so use them! It's not like they are limited to one or two in heavy combat zones, they are literally all over.

You say some aren't available in some zones, personally I've NEVER seen this to be the case where they allow planes. That just doesn't make sense and I challenge you to provide which maps/sectors have Air available but no AA. I don't think it exists.
This discussion has been closed.