Call me a killjoy...

«1
ParagonFury
1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
...but I'm not sold on the idea of a WWI shooter. For multiple reasons.

1: Unlike WWII, WWI is not fondly remembered or romanticized by any of the powers that participated, even the victors. Its primarily remembered as a long, brutal, agonizing and horrific conflict that most countries would rather forget and ultimately the only thing it accomplished was setting the stage for WWII.

Even the "historic" battles were largely brutal, uninteresting conflicts and slogs over inches of land in brutal trench warfare, which doesn't exact create compelling or interesting gameplay.

2: Technologically, its kind of a crap war because if you're trying to stay true to the real weaponry you're going to be stuck with primarily semi-auto/bolt-action weapons with basically next to no man-portable automatic weapons until the very end years of the war and even then they weren't very interesting to use.

If you try to take some of the "future tech", you just wind up with a slightly worse WWII game. You go alternate history....then what is the point of WWI game?

3: Vehicles, a Battlefield hallmark, will be incredibly hard to balance or even include. Tanks with scarce or no anti-tank measures. Aircraft that are a pain to control, don't make for terrible interesting gameplay if they're truer to life and have limited to no air-to-ground capabilities.

4: I honestly would've preferred to see Battlefield 2143 instead. Battlefield 2142 is widely considered one of the best in the series, it was a great game and the near-future setting gave it enough grounding but would've let DICE get away with sneaking in some surprising stuff. Also, Titans and Walkers with destruction and destructible environments? Yes please.

I'm still waiting on actual gameplay before I make any hard judgments, but I'm not immediately impressed or sold either.

Comments

  • NatsuTerran
    170 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited May 2016
    Completely agree. I think there might be potential if they manage to create a very asymmetrical but balanced game to showcase WW1, but that's best-case scenario. What it will likely be is a BF4 reskin with several automatic weapons and run n gun play. It seems like they are drawing from just about any tech research blueprints that you would see on some History Channel special, and then they just integrate the experimental technology into the game for every generic soldier to use. I really hope it doesn't go to that, because I don't think I could stomach a game with that little care for authenticity.
  • BadcuzTremysaid
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    This is a game not real life...
  • Gmkillers
    1228 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    [quote="ParagonFury;253"]
    1: Unlike WWII, WWI is not fondly remembered or romanticized by any of the powers that participated, even the victors. Its primarily remembered as a long, brutal, agonizing and horrific conflict that most countries would rather forget
    [/quote]

    This could describe every war ever fought. And Ww2 was romanticised? More people died in ww2 than 1.
  • CaptainHawsehole
    365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Actually, WW1 is holds much more importance in Canadian history, for example, than some might realize.
  • bf1helicopter
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Idk if it was a great idea either. But it's DICE and they know how to make a great battlefield. So I'm sold. They could honestly make a water gun battlefield type game with teams consisting of kids from two different neighborhoods and it would be a great game. And it would be the best fps of the year. With four different a classes: the skinny fast one, the tall one that can jump high, the fat one that carries extra water, and the short one that can't be spotted on the mini map. The objective is to get the other team soaked to 100%. You drown and die and respawn. One class can revive you by giving cpr. If someone is giving you cpr, you will see a lifeguard from bay watch giving you the cpr until you are revived. This same class will have a shamwow that will work much like a medkit.

    The point is no matter what type or setting of battlefield they make, it will be great.
  • MegaloDorian
    865 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    > @BF1helicopterplz said:
    > Idk if it was a great idea either. But it's DICE and they know how to make a great battlefield. So I'm sold. They could honestly make a water gun battlefield type game with teams consisting of kids from two different neighborhoods and it would be a great game. And it would be the best fps of the year. With four different a classes: the skinny fast one, the tall one that can jump high, the fat one that carries extra water, and the short one that can't be spotted on the mini map. The objective is to get the other team soaked to 100%. You drown and die and respawn. One class can revive you by giving cpr. If someone is giving you cpr, you will see a lifeguard from bay watch giving you the cpr until you are revived. This same class will have a shamwow that will work much like a medkit.
    >
    > The point is no matter what type or setting of battlefield they make, it will be great.

    You!

    I like you!

    No!

    Love you!

    XD
  • Not_Paul_Blart
    803 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Killjoy. /
  • StarscreamUK
    6141 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Moderator
    ok, you're a killjoy

    but seriously, I'm really excited about it
  • VultureX3
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Starscream.........Not Me, I'm very disappointed

    No game will please everybody so this will be a game I'll pass on.
  • bf1helicopter
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    VultureX3 will you still pass if it's the greatest game of all time?? If not, then you might as well just pre order already
  • StarscreamUK
    6141 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Moderator
    VultureX3 wrote: »
    Starscream.........Not Me, I'm very disappointed

    No game will please everybody so this will be a game I'll pass on.

    what is it that you find disappointing?
  • Reconpilot001
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    i like the take on a war that not many games portray. Its Dice's challenge to make it interesting, they wouldnt try for the market if they didnt have ideas and working concepts and they certainly wouldnt try just a cash grab with what could be a potential rebirth of the series down to its very name, give it time and gameplay footage before dissing it i think, lets see what they do.
  • Nyargo
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield
    I am hoping that even tho this is happening in WWI surroundins, that they will use their imagination. With only WWI guns I think this will be boring.
  • Iraqlobster98
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    > @NatsuTerran said:
    > . It seems like they are drawing from just about any tech research blueprints that you would see on some History Channel special, and then they just integrate the experimental technology into the game for every generic soldier to use.<
    Seriously dude it doesnt really, considering we HAVENT EVEN SEEN GAMEPLAY YET. The only 'Experimental' stuff we've seen so far you could be reffering to could be the anti tank rifle (widely used) or the improvised 10 strapped together AT grenade (widely used)
  • Reconpilot001
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    > @Iraqlobster98 said:
    > > @NatsuTerran said:
    > > . It seems like they are drawing from just about any tech research blueprints that you would see on some History Channel special, and then they just integrate the experimental technology into the game for every generic soldier to use.<
    > Seriously dude it doesnt really, considering we HAVENT EVEN SEEN GAMEPLAY YET. The only 'Experimental' stuff we've seen so far you could be reffering to could be the anti tank rifle (widely used) or the improvised 10 strapped together AT grenade (widely used)
    >
    >

    That spiked club looks definitely experimental.
  • X0fireOz
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    [quote="Reconpilot001;1980"]> @Iraqlobster98 said:
    > > @NatsuTerran said:
    > > . It seems like they are drawing from just about any tech research blueprints that you would see on some History Channel special, and then they just integrate the experimental technology into the game for every generic soldier to use.<
    > Seriously dude it doesnt really, considering we HAVENT EVEN SEEN GAMEPLAY YET. The only 'Experimental' stuff we've seen so far you could be reffering to could be the anti tank rifle (widely used) or the improvised 10 strapped together AT grenade (widely used)
    >
    >

    That spiked club looks definitely experimental.[/quote]

    Trench clubs were handmade by soldiers who wanted more than a knife or shovel for hand to hand. They're documented and proven.
  • Reconpilot001
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    @X0fireOz said:
    > [quote="Reconpilot001;1980"]> @Iraqlobster98 said:

    > That spiked club looks definitely experimental.[/quote]
    >
    > Trench clubs were handmade by soldiers who wanted more than a knife or shovel for hand to hand. They're documented and proven.
    >

    i'm joking. They even had rapiers for trench clearers.
  • BadcuzTremysaid
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    [quote="MegaloDorian;1837"]> @BF1helicopterplz said:
    > Idk if it was a great idea either. But it's DICE and they know how to make a great battlefield. So I'm sold. They could honestly make a water gun battlefield type game with teams consisting of kids from two different neighborhoods and it would be a great game. And it would be the best fps of the year. With four different a classes: the skinny fast one, the tall one that can jump high, the fat one that carries extra water, and the short one that can't be spotted on the mini map. The objective is to get the other team soaked to 100%. You drown and die and respawn. One class can revive you by giving cpr. If someone is giving you cpr, you will see a lifeguard from bay watch giving you the cpr until you are revived. This same class will have a shamwow that will work much like a medkit.
    >
    > The point is no matter what type or setting of battlefield they make, it will be great.

    You!

    I like you!

    No!

    Love you!

    XD[/quote]
  • ll_Hooch_ll
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    Im on the fence... I love the Battlefield series, its basically my only shooter. But, this can either go really well and make for a great game, or really bad and make for a boring shooter online. The weapons of that era, as stated already, will have all been semi or bolt action weapons. So, that in theory should lend to more skill based gameplay. BF4 is good and all, but its no longer the rock paper scissors tactical shooter it once was. Its a frenetic spray and pray sprint fest. So, I see that part being a good thing if they do it right. But, if the rifles handle like the sniper rifles and DMRs do now, its not going to be much fun imo.

    I also pray there wont be any damn lock on ANYTHING in the game. Learn to aim lol.
  • Reconpilot001
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    edited May 2016
    > @ll_Hooch_ll said:
    > Im on the fence... I love the Battlefield series, its basically my only shooter. But, this can either go really well and make for a great game, or really bad and make for a boring shooter online. The weapons of that era, as stated already, will have all been semi or bolt action weapons. So, that in theory should lend to more skill based gameplay. BF4 is good and all, but its no longer the rock paper scissors tactical shooter it once was. Its a frenetic spray and pray sprint fest. So, I see that part being a good thing if they do it right. But, if the rifles handle like the sniper rifles and DMRs do now, its not going to be much fun imo.
    >
    > I also pray there wont be any damn lock on ANYTHING in the game. Learn to aim lol.

    .. why would ANYTHING lock on to ANYTHING in wwi ????

    .. ok TnT homing pigeons. out of spite for you.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!